• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

ever met up with an online friend?

no, but I want to meet my best friend ever (katezilla on TBT) SO badly. She lives about 2-3 hours away so it might be a stretch to meet, especially since my parents hate my online friends.

yeah, i met this guy who happened to go to my old school. we were good buddies, even considered dating lmao but he moved after i saw him maybe two times rip

no, but i really want too. me and my friend live about an hour away from each other and are planning to meet up eventually

I have not actually met up with any online friends! I plan on meeting up with my best friend though at one point.

No, they all live too far away from me ._.

Aside from that, I'd also have to be really close with an online friend in order to want to meet them in person (otherwise it would just feel kind of "creepy" to me).

Yes, I met my best friend on a forum back in 2005. We went on holiday together a year later and have been best friends ever since and before the pandemic we'd meet up a few times a year for concerts, weekend breaks and holiday's abroad.

yeah although we were connected through work (she replaced me at my old job and reached out). i wouldn't meet someone if i werent an adult and i would only meet someone in a public place. there are a lot of scary people out there.

I’ve met at least three people from online, and I’m looking forward to meeting a handful more when restrictions end in my area. It’s always kind of a mixed bag, ‘cause you never really know someone’s true nature until you see them in person, but when you’re both adults it’s easier to get out of it if you think something is off.

nope, i'd be too scared because of what my mum taught me about online safety and stuff like that

it's fine though, i'm not very good at having friends anyway 😅

I am shocked at how many yes answers there are in this thread.

I have not personally, I would *maybe* be open to it but as of now I wouldn't say I have ever made a strong enough connection with anyone online that would justify meeting.

No, I live nowhere close to any of my online friends to be able to visit them, and since I don't travel (even in normal times) it makes the idea of actually seeing any of them seem in person very far-fetched. Even if I was able to meet up with somebody I was friends with online, I'd be rather nervous and hesitant to meet up with them in person, no matter how close to them I was, lol.

Yeah but I had to wait till I was 23 or so because I was a preteen when I first befriended them. I had parents who watched Chris Hansen, so there was no way I could've met them earlier.
There was a couple more close instances too while I was college but I backed out because they were way too eager, lol.

Then I met a guy from UK for a networking gig (not a friend). I always make sure to meet online people in public areas like cafes.

no, i wish i could but my parents think the friends i meet online are middle aged men living in their basement :")

i met another online friend since my previous post on here. with the first experience i briefly mentioned my dad wanted to meet my friend before we went off to do our own thing because it was the first time id ever done something like this and i was worried and pretty embarrassed about that but it went well! it was a nice experience.

the second time i met an online friend......wasnt so great. i was practically on my own this time and he tried to be subtle about it but it was clear he wanted to meet up with me for....Reasons...and his intentions got a lot darker than that probably not worth getting into here!!! but i got uncomfortable and said it was time for me to go home even though i could stay the night, but im glad i did that because i ended up saving myself from a potentially dangerous situation. he was a good friend of mine for about a year and a half after this because i bottled up those worries and thought i was crazy but hes not in my life anymore.
if you get a bad gut feeling from one of your online friends because of something they did or said please dont meet them in person lol. this experience doesnt scare me from meeting online friends again though. i would love to meet all of my current online friends one day

I met one of my childhood best friends around 12 years ago - we used to play together on Maplestory. I also met another friend from Maple a few years later :)

I've met two of my long time online friends a few years ago at an anime convention and it was so weird to see them. Like, they aren't just letters on a screen and a few static selfies. I loved it and I wish I could see more of my online friends.

oh yes i was lucky enough to do it THREE TIMES.... maybe the 2nd time wasnt so lucky though LOL

first time was when i was a lot younger, maybe like 13 or 14. i had a close online friend that lived out of my state but VERY close to my state. my dad just happened to need to go to that state for his job or something and i begged my parents to let me go see my friend AND THEY DID!!!! we met up at the food court of a mall for a few hours and it was a little awkward but nice. i gave my friend a drawing of mine and i think we showed each other our notebooks and stuff. it was really weird seeing the drawings i'd only seen in pictures before!

second time was at a con with a different friend. we are not friends anymore and i was considering distancing myself from them around that time because they were kinda mean to me. it was very embarrassing because some friends from an edgy friend group of theirs was also at the con and the group kept saying weird+rude stuff in the tightly packed merch hall so i ended up quietly disappearing from them and spending the rest of the day with someone else....

third time was wonderful, probably an experience i'll remember for the rest of my life. i flew ANOTHER online friend over to my state and we spent a few weeks together. we explored my neighborhood, went to a con (he even volunteered with me! unfortunately it was a bad example of how it usually is cuz the con was a little out of control that year i guess and they randomly had us do line control which we werent prepared for), and hung out at our mutual friends house. id love to do it again but flying so expensive :( he also brought me this yuuko figure as a gift, but he forgot to bring the tiny dango she is holding so we're gonna have to meet up again at SOME point XD

this thread made me think of what a real life TBT meet-up would be like..... imagine it o_O

Back