• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Has anyone stolen/tried to steal things from your town?

About the time you all were posting this, I had an experience, too. It was a trade situation, we did the trade in my town, then the guy asked to be best friends. I shook my head no and he ran off. So I messaged him to come back and he did, right away, then ran off again. I was so shook that I ended the session instead of turning off wifi. Plus I really wanted the items I bought and didn't want to lose the bells I paid for them. Then, listen to this! He private messaged me that he had taken something and that it was for him to know and for me to find out! It was a game to him! I reported him to the staff. Ever since then I wished I could remember his name (I deleted the PM) to see if he got kicked off or not. I'm much more careful and alert now...duh! Lesson learned!

Nah. Fellow tbters today are polite, just like me :)

No one has ever stolen anything from me, mainly because I never have anything to steal.

If someone did try to steal from me, I'd close mutliplayer so fast, their head would spin. You do not steal from HappyTails. You don't want to see AngryTails. Believe me.

About the time you all were posting this, I had an experience, too. It was a trade situation, we did the trade in my town, then the guy asked to be best friends. I shook my head no and he ran off. So I messaged him to come back and he did, right away, then ran off again. I was so shook that I ended the session instead of turning off wifi. Plus I really wanted the items I bought and didn't want to lose the bells I paid for them. Then, listen to this! He private messaged me that he had taken something and that it was for him to know and for me to find out! It was a game to him! I reported him to the staff. Ever since then I wished I could remember his name (I deleted the PM) to see if he got kicked off or not. I'm much more careful and alert now...duh! Lesson learned!

OMG that is soo horrible. I'm so sorry. It legit upset me when that girl tried to steal stuff, because everyone else had been nice so far and I just play AC:NL to relax, because irl is very stressful for me at times. So when she just came over uninvited and started running around taking stuff it felt like she violated my space. I actually don't like my second town (where it happened) as much after that tbh. Which sounds dramatic, because I'm usually like a pretty rational person, but that just happened to be how it made me feel for some reason. lol I think maybe because in my day-to-day like I am often around people with poor boundaries, who don't always respect my belongings or space.

I have done very little trading/buying from others so I haven't had any issues luckily. Years back I traded regularly with a girl on this site. We'd pm each other items we needed and check if we had them. We did the best friend thing too. She was awesome. I just recently bought a villager from someone on here who was very trusting. The player was clearly afk and had left many items on the ground outside the train station. I could've easily filled my bag and left but I'm not like that. Also is the host always supposed to end the session? I didn't know it mattered. I just do what I'm supposed to do and leave. The only thing I would want to do is look at their villager list, just cause I'm curious. I wouldn't talk to them or go in their house though, unless the host was ok with it. I also tend to let the person I'm dealing with choose which town we trade in cause I know they might be more comfortable coming to my town than letting me theirs. Then they won't have to worry.

Also is the host always supposed to end the session? I didn't know it mattered. I just do what I'm supposed to do and leave.

Supposed to? No. It is easier and faster to end the session than it is to wait for someone to go into the train station and talk to Porter. If you finish the trade and go to leave then you're not doing anything wrong though. It could also depend on whether they want their gate open. Ending the session closes the gate but having the visitor leave by themselves has the gate remain open.

Didn't happen to me, but I was in someone's town. I was doing a trade and getting signatures for a petition when all of the sudden we see the "someone is coming!" The host and I were like "who the heck are you?" and I don't think the unexpected visitor stole anything, but the host had to go and make sure she didn't take anything while I was getting signatures.

I once had somebody steal a bunch of stuff from me in what was supposed to be a trade, years ago. After a 'wi-fi error' he said that the items weren't in his inventory and they were also gone from my town. I has upset at the rotten luck, but then found him hours later on the same forum selling the same items he stole from me. He tried to claim they weren't my items, but he'd explicitly said that he didn't have them earlier. I was pretty upset. After he'd been found out he offered to return the items but I didn't want him in my town or interacting with me again. It wasn't really that he stole the items that upset me, it was that he tried to lie about it and claim that I was overreacting afterward.

The bright side of this story is that a kind-hearted person on the same forum gifted me with all the items I had lost and then some. And everyone who saw what had happened was supportive of me. So while there are some awful jerks playing AC, I'm glad that the majority are kind and giving to those in need. What I learned from the experience wasn't to never trust anyone (though I was more cautious afterwards and didn't accept trades from new people), but to be kind and generous to those that need it, because it goes a long way.

Back