• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

So What Are You Reading?

I've got a bit of a book hangover right now, and nothing in my stacks looks interesting. If anyone has a suggestion for something not too heavy, I'd appreciate it.

I tend to skew toward fantasy, steampunk, and historical fiction, but I'm open to other genre. Work's kicking my butt right now, so something that doesn't take too much brain power would be better (I do love door-stop books, but don't have the energy to devote to them, at the moment :D).

I haven't read in ages because I've been stuck in a rut, but my friend dragged me to the library. I thought I wouldn't find anything but I found Aristotle and Dante discover The Secrets of the Universe. I love it and I wanna read more now!!

I just finished reading Circe by Madeline Miller. It was a fairly quick read (I read it in 2 nights) and entertaining. If you like Greek mythology, you'd probably enjoy this. I went back and looked at the author's page and saw that she has written another novel based on The Illiad, so I'll be grabbing that for my next read.

Last edited:
Finished The Song of Achilles today and my book hangover is bigger than before. I just don't know what to read next.

I just picked up The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. Several friends on Goodreads have read it and said it was a fun read. The weekend is supposed to be crummy, weather-wise, so a good book to curl up with is perfect.

These Happy Golden Years by Laura Ingalls Windler. These are such good books, I've read them so many times I've lost count.

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo! It was a book that I bought probably two years ago but never got around to reading it. Finally!

Picked up a bunch of paperbacks at work yesterday and started on The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. I was really disappointed with Aleph that I read earlier because honestly it's a too cheesy romance so you almost wanna throw up every five pages, but willing to give mr. rabbit man a chance and I've been a bit curious of his other works (Aleph is supposd to be his 'worst' book anyway so it was just bad luck I started with that one lol).

I got some summer reading for school, but I'm reading some other stuff on the side. For school, I'm reading How to Read Literature like a Professor. It sounds pretty boring, but its written with a sense of humour, and I've actually learned quite a bit.
For pleasure, I'm reading Trevor Noah's autobriography, Born a Crime, and (I don't know if this counts) Part 2 of Akira Himekawa's Zelda Twilight Princess manga.

i'm catching up on the warriors series lol. been reading it since childhood (errr.. im 15 im still a child) but havent lost interest yet!! there's 5 more books for me to read :c but i'll maybe ask for them for my bday which is in a month so yaay

Finished The Alchemist and I liked the book like all the way up to the end where it got a bit too obvious/cheesy. It's a shame he adds all the cheesiness to his book because they are good but then you get to some place or the end and you are just rollin' your eyes. Oh well, definitely better than Aleph (his worst book imo).

Started onKoto/The Old Capital by Yasunari Kawabata and it seems real good, although back in those old edition days they translated from German and then compared to Japanese originals so the writing and dialogue gets pretty stuttering and weird sometimes but if you can live with that if you get an old edition, def. worth it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Finished The Alchemist and I liked the book like all the way up to the end where it got a bit too obvious/cheesy. It's a shame he adds all the cheesiness to his book because they are good but then you get to some place or the end and you are just rollin' your eyes. Oh well, definitely better than Aleph (his worst book imo).

Started onKoto/The Old Capital by Yasunari Kawabata and it seems real good, although back in those old edition days they translated from German and then compared to Japanese originals so the writing and dialogue gets pretty stuttering and weird sometimes but if you can live with that if you get an old edition, def. worth it.

I remember reading The Alchemist for a summer reading project before my Sophmore year of HS. I liked it a lot but should I re-read it? I've been looking for something to do besides staring at my 3DS screen 14 hours a day lol.

I remember reading The Alchemist for a summer reading project before my Sophmore year of HS. I liked it a lot but should I re-read it? I've been looking for something to do besides staring at my 3DS screen 14 hours a day lol.

Ehh if you don't mind the incredible obvious end sure go ahead lol. There are better books though lmao.

It's crazy how The Alchemist was considered a "timeless classic" isn't it?

Yeah. I mean the story itself is actually good for some urban fantasy/history but yeah classic if you like cheesy words of wisdom... I'd say read like any of his works besides this and Aleph(i swear worst book I've read in a long tme lol)

I'm not currently reading anything, but I recently finished Lord of the Flies by William Golding. It was a pretty good book, but I'm not gonna lie, the beginning is a little hard to understand, especially if you didn't read the blurb because it kind of just sets off without explaining their situation much. Along with that, I kept feeling like I had a good picture in my mind of the setting, and then they would discover a new part of where they are and I would have to reimagine it ;-; Lol that wasn't a big deal, but ya know x3

pearl s. buck's the hidden flower. so far it's a run-of-the-mill story of romance, but i'm hoping it gets better!

I’ve been reading Welcome To Nightvale, based off of the Nightvale podcasts, and it’s amazing. Great plot, great characters, great imagery, great sense of confusion you’re left with while reading.... I love it.
White Oleander is also another great book, for anybody who reads more mature material. It was one of those books for me that roped me in from the first few sentences and I’m eternally grateful to the person who first recommended it to me. If you like reads that are more dramatic, with a lot of great imagery and just overall amazing storylines, White Oleander is the book for you.
I’m going to start re-reading Fight Club and Invisible Monsters again, soon, because I love those books a LOT. There’s so many books that I read as a child that I’d love to dive back into now that I’m an adult and own eventually, I’m a total bookworm. So no, you are definitely not alone.

Back