Tips for keeping the Villagers original, please?

theGoomy

Bells
I started playing recently and I realized that our Villagers can change their furniture and their clothes (and at first it seemed really cool), but I was scared that Melba's house started to become a mess and Whitney just got bizarre with a costume that absolutely does not suit her.

I see a lot of people trading and selling Villagers around here saying they are original, I even went into several of these posts to better understand this and I was surprised. How can you do it? Denying their requests does not make them want to leave town? :(

Melba is full of insects in her house, she basically asks me for insects every time she sees me.

(Really sorry bout my English :()

Hi!

I don't know how effective this is, but for keeping houses original, I fill retail spots with flowers, so villagers can't place their furniture there. I also don't really recommend that you deliver presents from villager to villager, in case it is furniture or clothing (they might end up putting it in their house instead of wearing it).

As for clothing, there's not a whole lot you can do about villagers swapping clothing with other villagers. What you can do, is fill the Able Sisters designs with dresses, as opposed to the patterns that are in every game. (I've replaced patterned shirts – just the front row – with dresses, and villagers have been wearing clothing instead of patterns).

Good luck!

Last edited:
something that helps w the changing shirts is to make all the custom designs in the able sisters umbrellas- that way, villagers cant use them!

Hi!

I don't know how effective this is, but for keeping houses original, I fill retail spots with flowers, so villagers can't place their furniture there. I also don't really recommend that you deliver presents from villager to villager, in case it is furniture or clothing (they might end up putting it in their house instead of wearing it).

Hi!! That's a really good tip! But would putting furniture at a very high price, in that case, would not prevent them from buying too? I did not find it so useful to use retail, unfortunately. It only gave me more headache; Like Whitney buying a Balloon Bed (my fault, I confess) and leaving her house completely funny.

I understand, so I accept the request, but I do not deliver it. That's how Whitney lost her essence today, basically.
But ... And if my Villagers see a certain piece of furniture in my pocket (and I find it funny and weird how they do it), would it be right to refuse to sell / trade the item?

As for clothing, there's not a whole lot you can do about villagers swapping clothing with other villagers. What you can do, is fill the Able Sisters designs with dresses, as opposed to the patterns that are in every game. (I've replaced patterned shirts – just the front row – with dresses, and villagers have been wearing clothing instead of patterns).

Good luck!

I'm going to put dresses and umbrellas on Able Sisters, I hope it works because I did not know they changed clothes around that store, either. ):

Many thanks for the tips!

- - - Post Merge - - -

something that helps w the changing shirts is to make all the custom designs in the able sisters umbrellas- that way, villagers cant use them!

I'll do it right now! Thank you very much. I did not even know they could wear Able Sisters clothes!

Put the furniture price to 999.999 villagers will never ever be able to afford that.

^ Ditto on that. I have all my retail spaces filled with stuff I am selling for the highest price it can go for. And it's not good stuff either, it's garbage. None of the villagers will buy anything that is at a high price. Funny enough, I think I added an item at the lowest price possible and no one touched that either. And it wasn't something lame, it was a nice piece of furniture.

Whenever one of hte villagers asked if they should buy it, I always said they should, but they'd second guess themselves and claim that it's probably too good to be true at that price. I'd still go the safer route and price everything at 999,999.

Another thing that helps is to change all your Able designs as umbrellas, like the member above me mentioned.

And lastly, ignore every bug, fish, and furniture request from villagers. Whatever they ask for, they will stick it in their house. Just ignore them all together. It's easy enough to get friendship points other ways. No sense in having their home look like garbage because you have to catch them a beetle and a shark.

Put the furniture price to 999.999 villagers will never ever be able to afford that.

I just did it! They do not really buy the furniture. This is wonderful! :blush:

- - - Post Merge - - -

^ Ditto on that. I have all my retail spaces filled with stuff I am selling for the highest price it can go for. And it's not good stuff either, it's garbage. None of the villagers will buy anything that is at a high price. Funny enough, I think I added an item at the lowest price possible and no one touched that either. And it wasn't something lame, it was a nice piece of furniture.

Whenever one of hte villagers asked if they should buy it, I always said they should, but they'd second guess themselves and claim that it's probably too good to be true at that price. I'd still go the safer route and price everything at 999,999.

Another thing that helps is to change all your Able designs as umbrellas, like the member above me mentioned.

I put any furniture to sell for the highest price and now they just get scared with the price, it's very funny! But if one really wants to buy, I will not mind. :p

I changed all the pieces of clothing for umbrellas in Able Sisters, so it's another great way to prevent them from changing their clothes.

And lastly, ignore every bug, fish, and furniture request from villagers. Whatever they ask for, they will stick it in their house. Just ignore them all together. It's easy enough to get friendship points other ways. No sense in having their home look like garbage because you have to catch them a beetle and a shark.

From here I will refuse all requests for insects, fish and furniture, okay. I believe that fruit has no problem in providing them, right?

if the villager already has a piece of clothing and or their catchphrase, you can just put a "complaint " to isabelle, which will put them back as default, and it doesnt affect your relationship with that villager either

Canaan's Re-Tail is full of blue and gold roses, and Diamond's Re-Tail is full of seashells. This prevents my villagers from getting rid of their furniture, and I deny any requests asking me to sell them furniture or catch them a fish/bug. As for the clothes, you can fill your Able Sister's with dresses. I personally like it when my villagers wear my designs and made personal shirts for them.

Talk to them a bit so they kinda become friends with you, then maybe talk to them once a week after that. It may sound rude but it definitely works for me. I've had Leopold since February and he's never asked to move out. Same goes for some of my other villagers.

Hi!

Good luck!

I know hat this is probably a silly question since I have been playing for so long, but I truly don't know. How do you fill the Able Sisters' designs with dresses? I would love to know since I hate having them wearing random patterns.

Either fill spaces in retail with items priced like 99k or check it everyday and buy the items put up for sale.
Dont deliver gifts, and sometimes when my villagers do discard furniture they have oroginally i just mail it to them until they replace it again lol its worked every time for me that i've tried.

fruit doesn't affect them! they just eat it hehe

... Sometimes they get so excited that they take a piece of clothing out of the void and wear it. Lol

- - - Post Merge - - -

if the villager already has a piece of clothing and or their catchphrase, you can just put a "complaint " to isabelle, which will put them back as default, and it doesnt affect your relationship with that villager either

I'll try this with Whitney. I hope it works! Thank you.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Canaan's Re-Tail is full of blue and gold roses, and Diamond's Re-Tail is full of seashells. This prevents my villagers from getting rid of their furniture, and I deny any requests asking me to sell them furniture or catch them a fish/bug. As for the clothes, you can fill your Able Sister's with dresses. I personally like it when my villagers wear my designs and made personal shirts for them.

Your village and your villagers look beautiful! And about customizing clothes to wear them: it's not my beach, who knows in time I can get the hang of it, but it sounds really cool coming from you!

- - - Post Merge - - -

Talk to them a bit so they kinda become friends with you, then maybe talk to them once a week after that. It may sound rude but it definitely works for me. I've had Leopold since February and he's never asked to move out. Same goes for some of my other villagers.

Now I have no weight in my conscience by refusing requests, I will try to talk to everyone whenever I have the opportunity! Thank you.

The tips about filling up Retail with flowers, shells, or other furniture (anything really - as long as there are no open spots for villagers to put their own furniture in), and not trading with them or giving them packages are spot on.

I just wanted to pop in and say that complaining to Isabelle about their shirt or catchphrase will not reset them to their defaults, however. The villager will be switched into a plain gym shirt, and their catchphrase will be changed to "uh-huh." UNLESS that has changed since the update, please correct me if it has!

Thank you for posting this thread! I have been wondering about this too.. Glad people are able to answer! :)

The tips about filling up Retail with flowers, shells, or other furniture (anything really - as long as there are no open spots for villagers to put their own furniture in), and not trading with them or giving them packages are spot on.

I just wanted to pop in and say that complaining to Isabelle about their shirt or catchphrase will not reset them to their defaults, however. The villager will be switched into a plain gym shirt, and their catchphrase will be changed to "uh-huh." UNLESS that has changed since the update, please correct me if it has!

Yeah, it really worked out for me. Those were good tips.

I don't know if that changed after the update, but for now nothing happened, maybe I should wait one day, I do not know...

- - - Post Merge - - -

Thank you for posting this thread! I have been wondering about this too.. Glad people are able to answer! :)

There is a great place to learn about this game, and it's on TBT! Even shy, I felt very welcomed by everyone, I am very happy! That this topic helps many other people with the same questions we had :)

All the villagers in my second town are original, both their clothing and furniture as well as catch phrase and greeting. I have that town since December last year and everybody is still original.

Here's what I usually do:

1. 'Say yes' (or no) to every request but don't actually do them except for fruit and signatures. Also, I agree to home visits but I don't take any of their furniture.
2. Never give them bugs or fishes, they're just going to display them on top of a table or somewhere inside their houses.
3. Be wary of delivering packages because they're mostly clothes and again, the possibility that they'll put them inside in exchange for the original furniture.
4. Fill the Re-Tail with shells or anything. Replace those clothes from "Anytown" with custom dresses or umbrellas in Able Sisters
5. Don't make them buy anything from your pocket (especially fossils!!!)
6. I always say no or "you're fine" something like that, if they ask to change catch phrases and greetings.
7. Avoid being idle in a specific spot where villagers walk around (laying your paths, been afk or doing nothing). They might exchange clothing during convos. Either open your train station or often save/quit or just save if you think you're gonna stay in one area for too long (just to be safe in case something happens).

I don't think it affects the friendship if you don't always give what they want except that it probably takes a bit longer to establish a high friendship with them. I haven't noticed the difference, to be honest. If you really want the pictures really quick, give them perfect fruit. They won't move out just because of that. Villager asking to move is always random, no matter what.

Reporting to Isabelle about their language makes them say "uh-huh" and makes them change to plain white if you report about their clothing.

Last edited:
Dont give them nothing NO FISH OR BUGS SAME THING they will put it in their house DONT GIVE THEM FURNITURE DONT GIVE THEM CLOTHES AND DONT GIVE THEM A BIRTHDAY PRESENT ASDFGHJKL;'

For some reason complaining to Isabelle about catchphrases and or clothes never seemed to work. She said she'd get to it right away and a few days would go by and they still had the same stuff. Maybe they fixed that in the New Leaf update, but I never had luck with it...

If you do happen to have stuff in their house that isn't original, let them invite you to their house. When you go there, talk to them until they ask you if you want something from their house and select yes as the option. Choose whatever item it is and hopefully they will sell it to you.

Last edited:
Back