• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

**** friends

I definitely have, but I've been quite a toxic friend myself as well so I can't really be too judgemental I guess

usually when i meet those types of people they dont typically last long around me. i just stay away from them like the plague when i figure out something is wrong with them and if its not good for me or others to be around them.

I've had a few toxic friends. One steadily realized how harmful she was being, and has grown more pleasant. But there are issues to work out. Her issue was making the problems she had into everyone else's problem - especially me. And if I ever did anything that didn't fit her standard of me, I was in the wrong.

Another was just a toxic person to be around, entirely negative and very self-congratulatory. If someone said or did something she didn't agree with or made her look less than perfect, they were made to be the bad guy. Unfortunately many people looked up to her (likely due to her confidence) and she caused much more trouble than I think she intended. She also had a terrible habit of slapping me when I said certain things - for which I've called her out on, but was never corrected.

Both people were very emotionally troubled themselves, but it really took a toll on me, especially since I considered them such important friends. I was smart enough to know I should get out of those relationships, but I have such a fondness for people that I haven't been able to remove them from my life. But I wanted to share their flaws here so others can reflect on their friends behaviors or even their own. I'm Not sure if I may have done something to offend them to make them act a certain way towards me, but that doesn't warrant being treated poorly.

I have at least a few toxic friends. I had this so called "friend" in elementary school who would use me to copy homework and bullied me once because of my looks. I was blind that she was using me. But I still was my innocent self back then, attending a bad school and living in a bad place.

Also the "friend" said something so abnormal and shocking as to why she would say that. Though I want to keep this to myself because overtime I'll probably forget it for good which would be great. I seriously want to forget everything bad that happened to me in the past. :(

Yeah, in year 7 my best friend turned and started telling everyone me and my group of friends (who were her best friends too) were bullying her (I swear we were not). My life kind of spiralled after that but I'm much better now. She moved that year anyway so screw her.

But you just have to find the right people. I felt like I didn't fit in for years and then I met my best friend who has stuck with me through thick and thin. She accepts me for who I am! Keep searching, and best you dump those toxic friends :p

Last edited:
was bullied by some Great Friends in 3rd to 5th grade lol
ive had internet friends who were ok but they always mmade it very clear that they liked each other more than me which made me feel like i was third wheeling their friendship lol. now one of them is a racist who always makes herself the victim and has like 1 friend which is her boyfriend from brazil, and the other has the personality of/acts like a tumblr positivity blog that gets into drama and discourse and has a 3 mile long dfi lol. they were both manipulative, always acted like s victim and were very self centered, and while i dont think they were evil or whatever they were toxic and our friendship was unhealthy.

and in 2012 or 2013 i was friends with someone a year younger than me. she was in a really bad place (bad home situation and mental issues bc of it iirc) and our friendship was basically me listening to her venting, which i was fine with but in the long run it got very exhausting and she would get angry at me if i didnt reply with good advice or acted like a therapist so it wasnt very great for me. she was like 11 or 12 and in a bad situation so i'm not blaming her for it, but it wasnt a great friendship haha.

Plottwist: I am the toxic friend

-actually no wait I'm just a bipolar schizo with a hint of borderline. I honestly don't know who I am.

no not extremely toxic but i've never come across someone who doesn't ***** about other people and/or are just disrespectful to certain people they don't like (these people they don't like may have done something wrong but the insults they throw at them are way too much.) idk this doesn't make sense

I've had to deal with quite a few toxic people, both irl and online. With the ones irl, I've had a lot worse drama even though it's usually the kind that happens behind other's backs, while online I've had nasty **** said to me directly from my "friends." Although with the online drama I can easily just block someone, it feels to me like more people online are toxic than irl since there's no real backlash for being a *****. I've had so many different kinds of toxic friends online too lmao... the kind that considers you a friend and tells you that you're a good friend, and then ditches you asap for 'better friends,' the kind that stabs you in the back, the kind that gives you a bad reputation, and my favorite: the kind that makes you feel worthless and ****ty. Of course, I've learned a lot about how to deal with people and figure out who to keep close, so I consider it all a learning experience.

All right, well, you better be prepared for a long but very interesting story.
In 2011, I became friends with this guy when I started 6th grade (and thus, middle school) when the school year started early in August. He and I were officially friends until our freshman year in high school in 2015, but there were many bumps along the way.
I never knew him terribly well for a while, and he never visited my house until my twelfth birthday in February 2012, and even then, he didn't visit for another year after that, meaning our friendship was never really big until 2013. That being said, a lot did happen between 2011 and 2015, particularly starting in 2012.
He is mentally ill (I still know him as he goes to my high school and we've gone to school together ever since we combined for the middle schools in 2011, although I'm moving to Alabama soon), and that is one thing that he was never terribly honest with me about during the early months of our friendship in 2011, although I could start noticing it by December that year. By the spring of 2012, a series of incidents began that lasted until spring 2015.
In April 2012, there was an incident while we were still in 6th grade (this was just a month before the school year ended) where, because I had become good friends with someone else in our gifted class by that point (he and I were in the same gifted class during 6th grade year and the first couple of months of 7th grade year in 2011 and 2012, but by October of 2012, he was pulled out by his mom to improve his grades in other classes by being learning strategies, which was basically a study hall), and apparently, he had gotten jealous and wanted to receive attention. So, while I was using one of the computers in class and was wearing headphones (which our teacher required us to wear when using the computer so sound wouldn't blare out), he lifted the part of the headphones covering my left ear and screamed in it. Apparently, the principal was in an adjacent room meeting with some 7th grade teachers, so since there was a connecting door between the rooms, she rushed in and asked my teacher who made the noise, and she asked if he knew the kid (mentioning his name, of course). The principled replied saying that she wished she didn't know him...
In October 2012, while we had been working on a project in my gifted class that year for the past month, he constantly bugged and annoyed me making me unable to get any work done. This caused me to get very far behind on it and have to turn it in late, which extremely angered my parents, also because my grades had been going down at the time with the start of a new nine week period, resulting in a one-hour time limit to be allowed to use electronics from my mom (down from two that she had set that previous May) and constant criticism and insults from my dad.
In December 2012, he acted crazy at the house of two of my friends (twin brothers) while we met up for our Christmas break. This scared their mother so much, and it was even worse in June of 2013 when he came to their thirteenth birthday party and literally went insane the whole time, doing inappropriate and sometimes even violent actions. Apparently, within a couple of months, around either August or September that year, he said that the reason he acted that way in June was because he had not taken a medication that he usually takes daily for his illness. He was apparently wary of telling us this information because he thought we'd judge him for it, although it didn't change our view of him at all. However, it did make us more cautious of any incidents that took place after September 2013.
In December 2013, there was a Christmas dance for the 7th and 8th graders at my school that I wasn't planning on going to. I was in 8th grade by this time, and I hadn't gone to the one the previous year, but he insisted I come as he apparently had liked it the previous year and when he had gone to it then, he went with his girlfriend, but she had broken up with him that previous October. I ended up going (particularly because I was pressured by my mom), and he kept following his ex-girlfriend and one of our other friends (who went with her) and basically acted like a complete idiot. That wasn't my day, and it made me feel like I shouldn't have even been at that dance in the first place.
In May 2014, he told a girl that I had liked for several months that I liked her as "revenge" for something I did that apparently made him angry (told his ex-girlfriend that he was a liar, as he lied to her about me). He had known since that previous March that I had liked this girl in question. Anyways, on our 8th grade Class Day, which marked our last day of middle school, she ended up rejecting me, and that happened just four days before my grandpa passed away, which made that one of the worst points in my life.
In September 2014, just a month into our freshman year of high school, he found out that my parents along with those of the same friend I mentioned that he treated horribly that previous December weren't big fans of him. This made him angry and act crazy, and caused great strife among us, almost ending the friendship (which it probably should have then).
In March 2015, I finally ended the friendship after he acted crazy for days. Unfortunately, that action apparently put him at a breaking point for the rest of the month on into April and May.
So, yeah, I only continued the friendship partly so that he wouldn't go crazy like he eventually did in the spring of 2015, but yeah, not exactly a healthy friendship I had there.
Sorry this was so long BTW.

Last edited:
yes, i had one toxic friend that i had four classes with in ninth grade, and it was absolutely awful. one girl seemed upset, so i tried to help her. i listened to everything she had to say. we were best friends. eventually, she began saying that i was the one at fault for her problems. i would begin to hate myself because i couldn't tell if i was the victim or the bully. she won over all my other friends with her pity parties, and tried to pressure me into deleting all my social media multiple times. she was troubled, and she kept telling me that she would kill herself if i stopped being her friend. i was terrified of her, to the point to where i thought of skipping school just to avoid her. eventually, we both got the help we needed, and the next school year, we did not have any classes together and all was fixed. but to this day, i still have a slightly harder time trusting people.

my "best friend" told my bf that I was talking to this guy I used to talk to before I dated him because I wouldn't get milkshakes with her. Me and him were having a disagreement btw, but it was WINTER and I was like 90 pounds at the time and I would like hurt really bad if I got too cold because it was a really cold winter...

Even before she was extremely controlling.

I messed up our friendship before because I had a controlling boyfriend (not my current bf:) but I never treated her like **** like she did to me even before I "messed up". We didn't talk for two years and she got crazy af.

She was rude as **** to me and walked all over me once in seventh grade too and her & 7 other people including some boy I fought (literally not verbally) and that was extremely disrespectful because she knew how bad he bullied me before. I have no idea why it made me so upset those two weeks she did that to me.

SHOULD HAVE DODGED THAT BULLET THEN AND THERE. I WOULDNT BE FRIENDLESS RIGHT NOW IF IT WASNT FOR HER.

The real question is, who hasn't?

I've had my fair share of bad friends. A few stand out but I don't want to waste my energy on them. I'm just glad we aren't in each other's lives. It's best to focus on the good ones anyway.

Most of the friends I had were toxic or stuck-up until I joined the scouts. I met some really cool people my age and with the same interests.

When I was younger I had my neighbor as my best friend and throughout my younger years she would harass me, throw dirt on me, tease me about my brother having type 1 diabetes and saying how everyone hates me. Then one day her mom came over on my moms birthday to talk about how I allegedly "threw dirt on her" and demanded that my little brother told the truth on how I was the one to do it and not the other way around (which it was the other way around). My little brother (4 at the time) was so scared so he said I did it, after he left my best friends mom continued to yell at my mom (on her birthday mind you) about how she's a terrible parent, making fun of my brother for having diabetes, and just making her cry so much.

To this day I still have a grudge on this girl and her mom. We no longer speak and haven't seen each other in years (thank god).

My brother's annoying friend, who comes over my house every other day and intentionally irritates me. Not to mention my brother himself! I wish they'd disappear :)

Sadly, yes to both :(
I've had such bad luck keeping friends.

Friend type 1: RL friend was heavily into witchcraft. No big deal, I am open minded to your beliefs, hobbies, whatever you do.
But this friend was getting super into it the same way a crazy christian is or just anyone obsessed with religion honestly. Their life begins to revolve around said religion, and its all they talk about. It was like we were totally different people now. Their now ex-lover was also quite toxic. They met online and eventually moved in together in ex-lover's state. I knew this ex-lover did not like me via tumblr, this person always had picked on me. He was in rehab for Anorexia, and its not my business, but he ran a pro-ana blog which eventually got terminated. My friend said he can't help his behavior for being mean to me because of his illness, but I said I have feelings too and I wish it'd stop. He checks my blog obsessively judging by my IP tracker too. I messaged him privately to please leave me alone and just don't look at my blog if my presence "triggers" you so much. I want to be friends, but it seems you can't come to terms this way. Well, hours later, I get a text from my friend's phone from this person saying he overdosed on pills because of me (for telling him to leave me alone ???). So my friend got mad at me for apparently causing this, cut all contact with me and refused to hear my side of the story. He posted some witch craft curse on me and we haven't talked since. I still miss the old times we had together all the years from elementary to high school. I send my best regards. I know they probably broke up because they're both mentally unstable, but it sucks our friendship had to suffer through that.

Friend #2: Met on tumblr, which we eventually met in real life because we actually lived an hour away from each other. This friend and I are college-aged. She hasn't done anything with her life other than leech off her boyfriend. She constantly complains on her twitter that her boyfriend is too poor to afford decent food, begs for items on her wishlist on tumblr, won't get a job despite her bf nagging her to, or at least try to go to school for something. She won't ask her mom for basic necessities, and expects her bf to hand them to her. She hardly keeps in touch with me much unless its to complain about something or she needs something. She was hardly emotionally supportive when I was going through hard times, and never wanted to play video games with me. She always gave me an excuse that she has anxiety to Skype with me, but then mentioned about meeting some guy online and they talk for hours and play video games together... And her boyfriend wasn't happy about it either. There's a double standard as she gets on her boyfriend's tail if he even texts another girl. Her whole personality just upset me and I tried to nicely bring it up to her, but she never made effort to change.

Friend #3: In general, this happened to me several times. I'll make friends with a male friend who only has intentions with either hooking up or dating me. It hurts when they suddenly ghost me because they realize I'm only looking for friendships.

I made a friend in third grade after he moved go town and sat by me. Throughout the years we had a falling out because he wasn't exactly the nicest person. I was so happy when he moved away. Then he moved back into town, luckily I never saw him. Then I found out he was joining the Marines like I was and I would occasionally see him at the meetings. He left for boot camp a few months before I did and I found out a little while ago that he got kicked out of the Marines for hazing. Oh well.

Back