• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Dieting tips?

Brittnay

MPGIS obsessed
Bells
Not sure if there's a thread already like this, but i'm currently on a diet. i'm hoping to lose at least 15-20 pounds before i go back to school (september 5th), and have been on this diet for about a week now. i've been exercising daily, and have eliminated all unhealthy foods/drinks from my diet, but i'm not sure if there's more i can do. if any of yiu have suggestions on foods i could eat/exercises i could do that would benefit me and possibly help me lose some weight, that'd be swell c:

First thing's first, you shouldn't be aiming for losing more than 2 pounds a month. Rapid weight loss doesn't tend to be sustainable (it's usually water weight you're losing, rather than body fat) and the number on the scale isn't an indicator of health or fitness. Your body can undergo a drastic transformation without you losing any weight (remember that muscle weighs more than fat).

If you're serious about getting fit and staying that way, learn to count your macros (macronutrients). Macros are the fat, protein and carbohydrate content in the foods you eat. Carbs are your body's preferred source of fuel, so while you have plenty of carbs in your diet, your body won't burn fat for fuel. You don't want to eliminate them entirely because vegetables are carbs, and so are fruits like apples; you just want to limit your intake and stay in a caloric defeceit (burn more calories than you ingest).

There's a youtube channel called gaugegirltraining that I think will help you out.

Drink a lot of water and make sure you are eating enough. Eating very little, contrary to popular belief, will actually hinder weight loss rather than help it

Make sure you're getting AT LEAST 1200 calories. Plus more depending on your activity level.

Have you thought about intermittent fasting? I've heard good things about it but have yet to try it.

Rather than think about dieting, think about nourishing your body and choosing a healthier lifestyle.

I turned to dieting 3 years ago and lost 200lbs. I went from morbidly obese to severely underweight. Battled an ED and now it's stuck with me. I was like you; wanting to see results quick. It turned really south for me, and it's really common for others as well especially those who want quick results rather than sustainability and true health.

DON'T RUSH. Eat enough nourishing foods. Drink water. Do a healthy amount of exercise. Love your body.

I'm happy to see people in this thread promoting sustainable methods!

Last edited:
Try using the app MyFitnessPal! You can track your calories, macros and nutrients and it helps you set healthy goals!

Try using the app MyFitnessPal! You can track your calories, macros and nutrients and it helps you set healthy goals!
Agree on the app. I've seen friends use it with great results. It keeps you accountable with food choices and shows you the ugly truth of calorie amounts of your fav foods.

Don't try to make major diet changes too fast! If you suddenly decide to cut out all sweets, it will backfire on you, and eventually you'll end up bingeing on sugary foods. Make slow gradual changes, by focusing on health rather than losing weight fast. Good luck!

First thing's first, you shouldn't be aiming for losing more than 2 pounds a month. Rapid weight loss doesn't tend to be sustainable (it's usually water weight you're losing, rather than body fat) and the number on the scale isn't an indicator of health or fitness. Your body can undergo a drastic transformation without you losing any weight (remember that muscle weighs more than fat).

If you're serious about getting fit and staying that way, learn to count your macros (macronutrients). Macros are the fat, protein and carbohydrate content in the foods you eat. Carbs are your body's preferred source of fuel, so while you have plenty of carbs in your diet, your body won't burn fat for fuel. You don't want to eliminate them entirely because vegetables are carbs, and so are fruits like apples; you just want to limit your intake and stay in a caloric defeceit (burn more calories than you ingest).

There's a youtube channel called gaugegirltraining that I think will help you out.

I'm sorry but it's fine to lost more than 2 pounds a month. Some people lose 2 in a week. Most lose 1 pound a week. There's 4 weeks in a month, at least, that's 4 pounds at least.

make sure you're getting enough of the right stuff, enough water, nutrients ect and cut out the wrong stuff (things like junk food and processed foods are obviously not good for you) and set a calorie goal you can aim to with your current weight and activity level.

I'm sorry but it's fine to lost more than 2 pounds a month. Some people lose 2 in a week. Most lose 1 pound a week. There's 4 weeks in a month, at least, that's 4 pounds at least.

1 pound a week every week isn't realistic, though, if you're looking to gain muscle rather than just lose fat (which is the whole point exercising). Gaining muscle can even make you gain weight, but still cause you to look leaner and more toned. If you're gaining muscle and losing fat, you shouldn't be losing 4 pounds every month.

working out daily and gaining lean mass will do wonders for your metabolism. Makes the foods you consume and the quantities of said food much less restrictive

In my experience, the best way to lose weight was to cut out all artificially flavored sugars and sweeteners. (Not natural sugar you find in fruit, but the kind that comes in the cup-full in cereal boxes.) I cut out all sugar, drank only water, and started an exersize regimine (running two miles a day) and building muscle by lifting weights and doing ab workouts. Good luck!

brush off the sweets and eat balanced.
excercise
dont let your shyness on exercising get to you

Back