• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you think ACNL is very flawed?

I don't time travel or hack, and I feel like ACNL is fine :) There are some minor flaws, like how little storage there is, and not having a dedicated toolbox, etc, but nothing that prohibits players from having a nice town. I actually feel like I did quite well for a non hacked, non time traveling town. It isn't done yet, but I know that people can still create wonderful towns playing the game 100% vanilla ^_^ It'll just take much, much longer.

ANCL is easily my favorite game. I have definitely spent more time on it than any other game in my lifetime.

Even without TTing and hacking or resetting, you can have a ton of fun in the game and spend hundreds of hours on it. There is always something in your town that can be a tad better if you don't try for dreamies right away. I think the added changes, like designs blocking villager move ins, was a much needed change. I love having new villagers. But I also want some say in where they can move. I think the balance between random "what the villagers want" vs what the player can control has reached a pretty good balance.

ANCL is easily my favorite game. I have definitely spent more time on it than any other game in my lifetime.

Even without TTing and hacking or resetting, you can have a ton of fun in the game and spend hundreds of hours on it. There is always something in your town that can be a tad better if you don't try for dreamies right away. I think the added changes, like designs blocking villager move ins, was a much needed change. I love having new villagers. But I also want some say in where they can move. I think the balance between random "what the villagers want" vs what the player can control has reached a pretty good balance.

DESIGNS BLOCK VILLAGER MOVE INS???????????

In my main town I never time travelled. Started on June 14th and had all the shops unlocked by the middle of September.
The shrubs can be a pain. While I waited I bought the island ones and planted those. Once I had enough shrubs for an area I replaced them. Got the last hybrid to grow in November. The villagers were good with PWP and I didn't need to use the diving trick to get them. Most of the time they run up, request and than run away while I'm working on my town.

In my other town I do change the clock and sometimes keep the town stuck on the same day. For towns that I didn't care about movers I did do the Gracie checks in one day to get it out of the way.

I don't time travel or hack, I even won't buy anything or ask for help on this website (apart from asking for visits). I time travelled in my old town & that's why I restarted it because I wanted to be proud of what I've actually achieved & it's way more fun when you have to wait because it keeps you coming back. I got bored quickly when I TT because I had already achieved everything.

Last edited:
I've had the game and the same town since release and the only time I time travel is for daylight's saving time, lol.
It's definitely doable.

I really admire those who kept their town since the beginning and never time travel. My main town only looks the way it does because I time travelled to speed up the landscaping. Now I'm not time travelling in my 2nd town and while it looks okay so far I did have a lot of help on the forums to buy sapling, bush starts and whatnot. I don't have the emporium yet so I got a lot of my bushes here or on the island.

I don't really agree. Sure, it can be extra work to get villagers with decent placement if you don't TT or plot reset, but it's not impossible. One of my towns went on just fine for a long time without any of that. It's just a matter of patience and hard work.

To be honest I think acnl is the first game were not time traveling became really difficult for me.
The other games I spent 90% of my time fishing and goofing off.
But now with town planning and it taking off its so hard not to want to have a nicer town now.
I used to really love my villagers but after playing New leaf so long...it's kind of ruined it. I like them. They are cute. But 90% of talking to them I know in the forefront of my mind they aren't real. After getting no new diolouge and then saying the same thing five times in a row it just...broke it for me .
I do my best not to time travel anymore. But yeah.
I think animal crossing lost as much as it gained from New leaf in a way? Not that new leaf isn't brilliant but it changed how the games are played. What players focus on. It's...not good or bad just different.

It's a lot easier with help from the community, but it does take a lot of work and patience to build a town you really want. I think that's the point, to make it like a daily habit so you can slowly grow and build it up through hard work.

I LOVE ACNL, it's my favorite game.

I feel like you can't have a nice town without time traveling or resetting.
What do you think?

I'm a time-travelling cheat because I enjoy doing so. It's my game and I can do what I want. :)

I don't really understand though why you would call the game flawed for it being incredibly difficult to get a great looking town without time traveling or resetting? I mean, you don't need a great looking town... It never was a town designing game, or an item collecting game, or an interior designing game. It's a 'do whatever you want' game.

If you never landscape your town you are playing it the right way, if you make the most beautiful town imaginable you are playing the game the right way. If you accomplish this by time-travel and resetting you are playing the game the right way. If you are playing vanilla you are playing the game the right way.

The game is fine and so is every way of playing it. :)

I think you could have a great town with or without time traveling. It just depends on your personal preference of how you want to play the game! Everyone has their own way to play and that's okay!

I have two towns, one I don't want to time travel in and one I'll probably end up time traveling in at some point. Right now though I'm waiting for the second town to develop before I just speed it up for flowers and stuff.

Last edited:
If the game just GAVE ya ALL the items in the start, ya'll soon get bore'd of it quickly!
Think of it when ya did chores for yar parnets, save'd up the allowance for that special item ya want, and then finally bein' able to purchase it. Ya'll love it all the more, and it's a simple psychological reason for effort and reward.
If ya abuse time travel/cheat to get all ya want, then yar just spoilin' yarself in ever bein' able to enjoy yar creation.
Do note I use'd the term "abuse". I can understand some folks' reason to cheat to break some in-game rules, like makin' a PWP on a beach or so, but the amount of effort would be the same as their noncheatin' counterparts.

The only "flaw" would be the ease of bein' dishonest with yarself and resettin' barely slaps ya in the wrist in New Leaf compare'd to old games' angry lectures.

Wouldn't say it's very flawed but there are big disappointments for me.
I don't mind working really hard on my town though because it feels good since I'm almost done and it looks great but sometimes I wish I could hack...

Last edited:
Flawed?
tumblr_nd97keR1HK1sxz671o1_500.jpg
Still... can't... understand this...​

Last edited:
Back