• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Ever been disappointed in a game's ending?

I was actually just posting in a Fire Emblem thread, and it got me to thinking about how I was kinda disappointed in Radiant Dawn's ending. Not that it was a bad ending or that it didn't tie everything up, but I think the way they tied certain things up was kinda lazy. Like, the explanations for certain events or certain characters' motivations were kinda similar? It's hard to explain without telling the story or spoiling things, but I'm hoping someone else who has played the game gets what I mean, lol.

I was actually just posting in a Fire Emblem thread, and it got me to thinking about how I was kinda disappointed in Radiant Dawn's ending. Not that it was a bad ending or that it didn't tie everything up, but I think the way they tied certain things up was kinda lazy. Like, the explanations for certain events or certain characters' motivations were kinda similar? It's hard to explain without telling the story or spoiling things, but I'm hoping someone else who has played the game gets what I mean, lol.
As someone who has played it, I'm not entirely certain what you're referring to. Maybe shoot me a VM or PM if you don't want to spoil in the thread, because I'm curious. It might be something I dislike as well, but at the moment I can't think of anything glaring.

As for this thread, one that comes to mind is Mass Effect 3 like I saw someone else say earlier in the thread. Though to be fair, I heard about it online and then did my own research, and didn't actually end up bothering to get that far in the game myself. I'll have to think of others though.

the Mass Effect 3 ending was a pretty big letdown. i wasn't outrated like a lot of other people, but it stung a lot since i love the series a lot.

it was good fun to read about just how upset people were at that ending though. i must have read hundreds of pages of threads by angry people.

oh, many times. often with mario games the ending is really boring and anticlimatic, and in a lot of visual novels there are some very weak endings that just make you dissappointed ;;

Ar Tonelico: Melody of Elemia...Its been a while so I don't remember spot on details about my irritation, but I do remember feeling a bit like a balloon with the air being let out slowly at the end. Like...it wasn't awful...but I just felt like it should have been more.

As an aside, it wasn't an ending, but my disappointment when Aerith died in FF7 was epic scale. If we rewind back to young me, I used to always name the male half of a romance duo after the guy I liked and the female after myself. (Yes, it was sad. I don't dispute that.) Now, I used to be the girl that was always "One of the guys" or "Too cool to be considered female". (Yes, that was actually said to me.) My best friend, however, was pretty and bubbly and everyone liked her. Everyone. I named Tifa after her.

So naturally I die and the male named for my crush is left with the best friend character I am always passed up for RL.

I was so mad I restarted the game then and there. Named them all randomely and fumed about it for like 4 days. xD

The Legendary Starfy, though excellent all around, I wasn't too fond of the ending. To be specific, Terrible Trio supposedly becoming a bunch of friendly folks. Come on, they made me fear the thing they represent! The rest of the ending is fine, but seriously, man! That's why I've proposed a fanfic continuation where they reveal that they've never actually changed after all.

anything that just says: wow! you did it! great job! you are the best player ever!

- - - Post Merge - - -

i would also say one of gex's endings because it mocked you for wasting your life on it but it's pretty funny

I was somewhat disappointed in the ending of Trauma Team. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't played it yet but I can't believe that after all of that and proving him innocent, he still isn't released from prison. I don't get it. Maybe he's serving time for escaping to help a patient?

Also, the end of Super Mario Sunshine. You go through all of that and the end... it's very... not exciting.

Last edited:
Still disappointed that it's literally impossible to save Josh in Until Dawn. ._.

Doesn't stop me from enjoying the rest of the game, but that bit does leave kind of a bad taste in my mouth. Dude didn't deserve to get off scot-free for what he did, but nobody deserves what happened to him.

I was super disappointed in the ending of Professor Layton and the curious village, I liked all the puzzles and the story seemed good but the ending was just dumb. It didn't even seem to go with the theme of the game.

Yes. They weren't games that I played, but rather Let's Plays that I watched. Both Firewatch and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter were disappointing. The story leading up was really engrossing and the endings just felt flat.

Back then, when i only had a PS1 and a Nintendo 64 game console, I used to play this one game on the PS1 which had a very nice soundtrack to listen to every now and then, and sometimes relaxing. While gameplay was a little bit weird at times however, getting this game 100% was annoying. And that is Croc. The first game of Croc, I'll say it. I like it. I enjoyed it. I adored the cute crocodile noises. But when you try to get the 100% and see the ending it shows, it is just not worth it. I rather only play for the level design, soundtrack, and cute croc noises. Other than that? Ending was pointless.

Paper Mario sticker star
It felt boring I passed it a 100% in 2 days and never played it back the ending was just so boring

Even though I love this game and for me the ending was not bad
I could see from other people that it will be a bit bland
And that the legend of the Guardian game (the owl movie but as game and no you don't play as soren)

I haven't actually beaten this game but reading about the ending in Phantasy Star II actually deterred me from finishing it.

Fallout 4 (regardless of faction alliances) and Dragon Age Inquisition are ones I can definitely agree on. I honestly felt kind of cheated afterward, like, this is all they could come up with? Really? After hours upon hours - hundreds of hours depending on the kind of player you are - you get such a half-assed summary-type ending and it's just ughhhh - though imo in Fallout 4's case there was much more incentive to keep playing after beating it, so I can forgive Bethesda a little bit when it comes to not giving things a concrete stopping point. I mean, you COULD stop after the ending, but it just felt awkward. That's the biggest thing that gets to me - when an ending doesn't feel like an actual ending, and you turn off the game feeling like there's still more you should be doing (even if, at the time, there's no DLC or anything to occupy your time with).

Generally, if a game's ending makes me go "...that's it? SERIOUSLY THAT'S IT?" I just can't. Long-ass games with like 30-second endings. No. Do not want.

It's more common with the latest gen of RPGs in my experience. I love, love love RPGs but it seems like everyone's focus now is just "make it pretty" and the quality of the story/writing either goes steadily downhill or is pretty much nonexistent in the first place. I guess you can't even be disappointed in a game's ending if the game itself disappoints you too much for you to get that far.

There was this one game I played, which I won't name here for obvious reasons, with an ending that basically infuriated me. The protagonist puts a band-aid on the problem and then dies. Now, I really have trouble dealing with character death in the first place, a lot of the time, if it's a character I was attached to. There's a reason I almost never play games with life-or-death stakes, but my friend was really sure I'd like this game. So to have my character, who I'd spent the whole game putting myself into the shoes of, DIE... was pretty distressing. And the worst part was that it wasn't like she sacrificed herself to ensure the world would be safe for the rest of foreseeable time. Like I said, it was just to put a band-aid on it. In other words things are back to pretty much exactly how they were a bit before the game started. Which made the whole storyline feel like a waste of time. Granted, the other characters had a lot of personal growth, and that was great, but killing my character still feels like a slap to the face.

I will second that the ending of Zero Time Dilemma... There was a certain huge mystery I only figured out because of extra letters in a certain anagram and then entering them into a textbox in a certain scene because I was stuck, rather than finding out the word through the... certain bad ending... because I was supposed to be able to get to that ending but wasn't... because I had forgotten about a particular scene providing the date (I think?) required to unlock it. (The fact that passwords are so easy to miss in that game is a problem imo. I resorted to looking up most of them because I couldn't tell if I was supposed to know them or not!) Anyway, uh, honestly, I think that even if I had discovered it the "right" way it wouldn't have made any more sense. The reveal just was way too out of the blue. I actually didn't mind the ending (idk I like cheese so sue me) but I was still reeling from those.

Fable 2 had a pretty awful ending. The one where it just stands you there and tells you to 1-hit kill a guy, and if you don't kill the guy then Stephen Fry shoots him for you anyway (I can't remember what his character was actually called). I expect an RPG to finish with a boss fight, not a 1 shot kill joke. It essentially makes all the time invested into building up my character worthless if I was strong enough to defeat the final encounter from the very beginning.

Tomb Raider 2012's ending was pretty awful. I liked the game, but any game that ends solely with a QTE is a massive disappointment. Lot's of games do this, but Tomb Raider stood out more to me since I really liked the reboot otherwise, so it left a bitter taste for what I thought was otherwise a fantastic game.
It was also a bit fan servicey, shoehorning in the duel pistols thing out of nowhere as though it was some sort of origin to her using duel pistols (which sounds stupid really). They didn't have to do this and it felt out of place and forced, and especially with the sequel, it was pointless anyway since they've seemingly dropped the idea of the duel pistols anyway.

In the same vein as Tomb Raider, I disliked Halo 4's ending. Halo 4 was a bit of a disappointment anyway, but an FPS game to finish with QTE's? Like, really, what the hell? It would be like the final encounter in Street Fighter being a round of friggin' Tetris, it has no reason to be there.

And Final Fantasy XIII's ending was utterly disappointing...I was so sad that all the characters didn't get horribly killed at the end.

Back