• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Don't Stay in School

I bet you a collectible I will never use the things I learned in English class outside of college in my life. Of my 4 years in high school, Essay writing is the only thing i learned from English.

I will agree that English lit is a huge waste of time to high school students. However I didn't feel this way about any of my other high school classes. I used to get in trouble for doing my chemistry homework in English class since it was such a waste of an hour.

I have nothing against learning anything and encourage learning to learn. But my biggest issue with the education system as a whole (even in Canada) that it didn't caught on with the times we're currently in and is far from efficient than I would've liked.

The worst offenders of the still ongoing problematic are the secondary schools. Primary schools already gave children enough time to cover every subject that secondary school mostly does, albeit with the basics that everyone needed to know in order to choose their future career. Even the essential classes exclusives from secondary schools might as well be in primary schools, along with a more integral language learning thrown to the mix.

The secondary school by design mostly serve to waste everyone's time and money for at least 5 years with pretty much every information that can be easily found by searching in the Internet on their spare time. Instead of going to the secondary school, they should skip straight to the cegep/college to learn their specific topics of their choice, so they can finally have their best job with a fairly healthy wage at 16 years old, rather than 19+. Which also brings us to...

...the fact that everyone learns at different pace no matter how the currently aged education system forces them to. Some of them can learn pretty fast and become bothered by the school's not being quick enough for them, while others take a longer while to digest the same thing as the faster ones can.

Some classes are also completely useless by their nature whenever attempted to be learned by students on schools and colleges. You thought math was useless? Well, any class that involves history of all sort is among the most prominent example, since every single information can Googled anytime, anywhere. Otherwise, it's all about memorizing facts and regurgitating.

The education system is still useful today even with its flagrant flaws, as parents might not have enough time to raise their children to learn things they needed to learn. But, we're now constantly wishing the government will actually overhaul the entire outdated education system for suiting the needs that we're experiencing today, so everything would go smooth sailing. Even though the Canadian educational system is a bit better than the USA one in general, we're still missing some of the basic of the life that could be learned before we hit on our teenager years. The entire school debacle sure is worth doing waves after waves of strikes just so the government get the job done!

A lot of your points are reasonable and make sense but the only thing I disagree with is that rushing into a career at such a young age. I don't think a lot of people in high school take seriously what they want to do until after college. A lot of college students often change their major and finding themselves at what they want to do. A lot of college students still live with their parents even. Not fully mentally prepared to leave that comfort zone yet. At a young age I think we're still also mentally developing and experimenting. for those fortunate to know their passion really early in life , I think it's nice if the education system gives them an opportunity to progress faster if that's their choice. But I think high school isn't really a waste of time because we're not entirely mature yet from a mental aspect

This is a bit of topic but "Teach the students not the subject" is one of my favorite quotes

They can teach that stuff there. Its just a bunch of equations. how to do them all can fit on 1-2 sheets of paper

"just a bunch of equations" yeah sure no actually higher maths are not just equations but anyway.

It's a lot better to start learning them earlier, so you can internalise them. Math is a language, and younger brains tend to be better at learning languages because it's what they're wired for--it's much, much better to have internalised these equations, and the other basic facets of higher math classes offered in high schools, so that you can reinforce and work upwards in college. Studies have shown that a lot of students actually leave STEM major fields in the US because they're not prepared for how heavy the math factor is--even their early interest in science is crushed by the sudden overwhelming influx. (There are also gender perception issues that contribute to female students leaving the field, but that's a different matter) If anything, we should offer more mathematically-weighted science courses that build the foundations earlier so students are more prepared.

Choice, sure. But simultaneously, being a well-rounded individual and learning to tackle those things that are your weaknesses are important too, which is part of what compulsive subjects accomplish. Learning to tailor your habits so you can actually learn something you're not good at is something you're gonna need in the real world--and you're also going to have to learn to deal with bull**** you think is useless. Sorry. That's life.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I will agree that English lit is a huge waste of time to high school students. However I didn't feel this way about any of my other high school classes. I used to get in trouble for doing my chemistry homework in English class since it was such a waste of an hour.

Also, as an English major, I have to disagree--it's only a waste to some people. English--a good high school English lit class, that is, like mine--is meant to teach not only essay writing, but critical thinking, subtext analysis, and sensitivity to language, as well as other general communication tenets. You can learn a lot from what you read, too. 1984 should be a very educational piece, for example.

I think that the mental set is part of it as well. If you loathe a class or school, then of course you're going to think it's pointless. Technically, you are not forced to learn or do anything even if you sign up for a "pointless" class. You can just sit there and get a zero until you're eighteen and old enough to make your own decisions.

Not everyone is as lucky as you and knew what they wanted to be right away. These courses exist so once people actually figure out their interests they don't need to re-take high school courses in order to get up to speed with everyone else in post-secondary.

And honestly you say we should be teaching kids "political system, debate, economics, and how to raise a family" - you definitely do NOT need to takes courses on these to live a good life. There are some people who have absolutely no interest in any of those (and in terms of politics- political campaigns should be good enough to communicate to those even without a degree in politics, you don't need to TAKE politics to be a good citizen), so it's pretty hypocritical that you said these should be mandatory.

Welp, I'm graduating university after this year and though the only course I needed from high school was English (woop de doo what a coincidence), I definitely don't see the other courses as useless/a waste of time. Even though I'm studying something that was never even a course in high school, I know how to appreciate the required courses as they were helpful to many other people, and thanks to my knowledge in them I can help kids who are struggling in regards to those too.

I'm sorry, but I'd rather not take a ten week course on how to pay taxes. I think my parents can teach me that in a little less than a day and they have told me before if I ever want to know how to do it, I can watch and help them whenever. Same goes for bills and anything dealing with that type of stuff.

Taking a ten week course on paying taxes will just make taxes even more boring than they already are and will make no one want to do them. Like that's the main reason they don't teach you that in the basic curriculum, how are they going to structure that into a class? Take a personal finance class or something in economics and you'll learn about it during the topics that talk about that sort of thing specifically.

Blaming the education for not knowing anything is the problem. It's proof our society is stupid if we don't take the time to learn for ourselves

Other than in my personal subjects which will be applicable to my future career and English and Mathematics (which you now need to pass in order to leave school in England & Wales) I am not too fussed. All I want to do is pass: a C grade is very much good enough for me! Hell, I'd even be okay with failing Science if it means less stress during my free time!

WE DON'T NEED NO EDUCATION
WE DON'T NEED NO THOUGHT CONTROL
NO DARK SARCASM IN THE CLASSROOM
HEY
TEACHER!
LEAVE THOSE KIDS ALONE!!

but seriously kids, stay in school. if only for the promise of money later. :>

Last edited:
Guess what economics and financial management are required courses at my old school and government should cover basic laws and law foundations. Also there are practical uses for those kind of advanced mathematics in fields that require them such as engineering, is everyone going to be an engineer? No, but guess what we wouldn't be where we are today without that kind of math. Also there are loads of electives that can teach you practical skills albeit they are optional. However older teens and young adults should seek advice from their parents about general life skills or learn on their own. If you don't experience it for yourself first hand you're never going to learn. Doing it yourself is possible, I learned how to cook and bake mostly on my own... I did start like 10 years ago though so... And I know how to do laundry and what not and other practical skills that I'll need when I'm on my own too. Like seriously things like that should be left up to the parent, it's not the school's job to prepare students for life on their own entirely, it takes a balance between the school and parents and or guardians.

Learning is so much fun for me. Education will always be in my top priorities.

Last edited:
I also wanted to mention that at my high school we had to take a class where we learned about things like taxes, how to write resumes, how to apply to university etc. I will say that some of that information was useful, but the things that weren't immediately useful to a 14 year old (like how the stock market works, how retirement savings and pensions work) I didn't retain in the slightest. So I'm not sure that kids that age should even be taught those things. It makes more sense to me that they should learn them as they come up in their own life by talking to their parents.

I also wanted to mention that at my high school we had to take a class where we learned about things like taxes, how to write resumes, how to apply to university etc. I will say that some of that information was useful, but the things that weren't immediately useful to a 14 year old (like how the stock market works, how retirement savings and pensions work) I didn't retain in the slightest. So I'm not sure that kids that age should even be taught those things. It makes more sense to me that they should learn them as they come up in their own life by talking to their parents.

Hello, class of 12 year old kids. Today you're all going to learn how to buy a house cause I'm sure you'll all need one very soon :rolleyes:

I partly agree with you...

I don't know what it's like in America (apart from that my bf hated it) but here in the UK the system is different. Although we leave school earlier and can go onto college free at 16, I don't know all of the differences.

Yeah, I also believe other things should be taught in school, i.e. how to manage financially and buy a house. But more deeper than that:

I think we should be taught how to be happy. How to keep our spirits up and have hope. How to resist temptation to buy some thing we don't need. What to do or say when someone is talking negatively of us. The affect that eating too much (of the wrong things) can make you overweight, and how to diet safely and happily. Which foods are good for different things, e.g. can help with depression, love life, etc. How to make more than a cake and a pitta-bread pizza.

All that said, stay in school. Although there could be some changes to the education system to improve it, we may as well use the free resources we are currently provided with, and remember how lucky we are to have them. I would rather know the square root of 8472049 and how to solve n squared-0-90 (a question from this years Edexcel Maths Paper, which I sat) than nothing at all.

Back