Don't Stay in School

Maybe you could...
use google?
School is set up in such a way that you can get a very small taste of a lot of professions. After you're done high school you hopefully know what you want to do or something you want to work for and chase after it. Life lessons like he is talking about should be taught to you by parents or guardians or just google it.
I just think the mood of the song is really "entitled working class".

Do you really think they don't teach all the stuff you asked in school?? When I lived in the US, they taught us all of these. It's not their fault you dozed off during class.

(10/10 username)

But anyway, this video really struck a chord with me. I've thought about it throughout my years of school, and was sad that these issues have never really been raised to the general public. This man has made a nice point, and in a very creative way as well.

I agree partially. It is definitely something our education system lacks, and the reason why most high school graduates have no idea what to do even after college unless their parents walk them through it or give them advice.

I don't see anything wrong with learning what we do now, I mean most of us forget it after high school anyway unless you have a passion for that particular subject. Then they make you relearn it in college for a fancy degree. Just more focus on your major.

I took a "independent living" elective in high school. It was only 3 months and it was by choice so those who don't choose to take it won't know. I felt like it should've been a required elective tbh. I learned how to balance a check book, and yeah that's all I remember. . I still don't know anything about financing a home, taxes, car insurance , retirement , all that stuff.
We also watched cheesy 80s vhs tapes on how to prepare for a job interview. That's about it.
Most things you can easily Google though if you are interested in being responsible. There are a lot of tumblr blogs like how to grow up with pretty well written guides about things we should know but don't.

I also never learnt about sex Ed. I had a seminar for one health class with a special guest and all they taught us was abstinence and stds.

Overall school could use some improvements but I doubt it'll happen so we can only do our best to ask for help or learn on our own with the resources on the Internet.

I agree with this completely. Most of this stuff we are able to learn in books already or on the internet by reliable sources. School is mainly for teaching us how to learn and about things we may be interested in a degree for later down the line :)

They aren't just teaching you that stuff in order to get higher test scores (although there is incentive). They're giving you the tools necessary to move on to whichever career you might want.

Also, what you want to do/major in now could very well change; so it's good to have the knowledge just in case.

Really though kids, STAY IN SCHOOL.
I think most people on here don't realize this because they're still years away from having to think about careers.

But at the same time, I'm pretty sure once you hit your senior year of high school, you DO have the option not to take science or math courses (at least where I live). English preps you for the essays and papers you'll have to write in university - sorry, but these exist in pretty much every program.

It would be nice if there were required classes to learn living on your own skills, but then how long would school hours be stretched until?

Last edited:
Looking back on the video, I was wrong. We do need to have choice in our education.

The point is, we shouldn't be forced to do subjects that we *personally* know we won't want in our future careers. A GCSE in Math will not help you become the next Shakespeare, nor will an A Level in Music help you become the next Einstein. The person who made the video is all for subjects existing, but not so much for being made to do them without any choice.

I have nothing against learning anything and encourage learning to learn. But my biggest issue with the education system as a whole (even in Canada) that it didn't caught on with the times we're currently in and is far from efficient than I would've liked.

The worst offenders of the still ongoing problematic are the secondary schools. Primary schools already gave children enough time to cover every subject that secondary school mostly does, albeit with the basics that everyone needed to know in order to choose their future career. Even the essential classes exclusives from secondary schools might as well be in primary schools, along with a more integral language learning thrown to the mix.

The secondary school by design mostly serve to waste everyone's time and money for at least 5 years with pretty much every information that can be easily found by searching in the Internet on their spare time. Instead of going to the secondary school, they should skip straight to the cegep/college to learn their specific topics of their choice, so they can finally have their best job with a fairly healthy wage at 16 years old, rather than 19+. Which also brings us to...

...the fact that everyone learns at different pace no matter how the currently aged education system forces them to. Some of them can learn pretty fast and become bothered by the school's not being quick enough for them, while others take a longer while to digest the same thing as the faster ones can.

Some classes are also completely useless by their nature whenever attempted to be learned by students on schools and colleges. You thought math was useless? Well, any class that involves history of all sort is among the most prominent example, since every single information can Googled anytime, anywhere. Otherwise, it's all about memorizing facts and regurgitating.

The education system is still useful today even with its flagrant flaws, as parents might not have enough time to raise their children to learn things they needed to learn. But, we're now constantly wishing the government will actually overhaul the entire outdated education system for suiting the needs that we're experiencing today, so everything would go smooth sailing. Even though the Canadian educational system is a bit better than the USA one in general, we're still missing some of the basic of the life that could be learned before we hit on our teenager years. The entire school debacle sure is worth doing waves after waves of strikes just so the government get the job done!

I get where you're coming from. If nothing else the public school systems in Canada and USA are centuries outdated and need a big overhaul so kids are learning more relevant stuff that applies to today. While it is nice to learn about some of the basics, sometimes we need some of the specifics too in order to truly understand. :)

I didn't actually watch the video, because I know it's going to be stupid.

Give me a list of fourteen years worth of "useful things" that will help everyone later in life. People are living at home into their twenties nowadays -- do you really believe that everyone who (theoretically) learns about taxes in high school will remember EVERYTHING ten years later? Do you seriously think that the things you learn about in school aren't going to help you later in life? You may not have liked learning basic math when you were six, but guess what? IT'S GOING TO HELP YOU! How the **** are you going to be able to budget and pay taxes and find good prices for things if you don't know how to ****ing add?!

You don’t want to learn about things you don’t like. Well, how do you expect to know what you do and don’t like if you don’t have experience with everything? Schools HAVE to go into some depth in every subject, so you can get a feel for what it’s really like. If your science course consists of nothing but “salt dissolves in water! salt dissolves in water! SALT DISSOLVES IN WATER! SALT ****ING DISSOLVES IN WATER!!!!” until grade 12, you’re not going to know if you want to be a scientist or not. And letting you drop science during grade two aka the SALT DISSOLVES IN WATER! phase and having people who don’t drop it learn about actual stuff won’t work either, for obvious reasons.

Do you know what happens after people graduate from high school? They don’t sit at home and watch Netflix and play candy crush all day and wait for their parents to send them their monthly allowance so they can *gasp* pay taxes!!! They go to university/college/whatever and get jobs. The skills you learn in high school will be used at work, obviously. Courses for different subjects are necessary because they show universities/workplaces your qualifications, something we can’t do with millions of kids ~*self-educating*~ themselves on tumblr and Wikipedia. Tests and exams don’t work perfectly, but unless YOU can think of a better alternative, they’re going to stay.

This thread is a joke. You’re telling people to drop out of high school, but are saying you can’t because you want to go to college. Why’s that? So you can get a job and a house and whatever, because you can’t do those things without an education. You don’t actually think it’ll be better for us to quit school, you just don’t like the current education system. Why should WE drop out of middle school and high school to fuel your political agenda?

There are problems with the current education system. Getting rid of it will NOT solve them, it’ll just make more problems.

I completely agree with this. Thank you.

I don't think getting rid of school is going to solve anything. In fact, it's going to create more problems. What if all the kids in America 14-17 were told that they could either go to school or get a job and work? Obviously the majority would chose to work to feel like they are being rewarded. And what if they can't get jobs? They'll likely run around the streets or bum off their parents because they have no idea how the real world works yet. The reason that education system is supposed to exist is to teach kids not only basic information about certain subjects, but also to teach life skills like learning how to make friends, make goals to accomplish something, deal with people you don't like (teachers and future bosses), ect. Are there some things that are completely unnecessary for learning at a highschool level? Absolutely. Why do I need to know what an imaginary number is or what started the French Revolution unless I want to go into fields of study that require that information? But I do think that is important to at least be exposed to some basic concepts and see what you are most interested in. And yes, I do believe that you shouldn't be penalized for not knowing/wanting to learn a topic in school.

Tl;dr We should be required to know the basics of a course, then be given the choice to expand on it if we are interested in pursuing a career that requires certain advanced skills in that subject. :)

I didn't actually watch the video, because I know it's going to be stupid.

Give me a list of fourteen years worth of "useful things" that will help everyone later in life. People are living at home into their twenties nowadays -- do you really believe that everyone who (theoretically) learns about taxes in high school will remember EVERYTHING ten years later? Do you seriously think that the things you learn about in school aren't going to help you later in life? You may not have liked learning basic math when you were six, but guess what? IT'S GOING TO HELP YOU! How the **** are you going to be able to budget and pay taxes and find good prices for things if you don't know how to ****ing add?!

You don’t want to learn about things you don’t like. Well, how do you expect to know what you do and don’t like if you don’t have experience with everything? Schools HAVE to go into some depth in every subject, so you can get a feel for what it’s really like. If your science course consists of nothing but “salt dissolves in water! salt dissolves in water! SALT DISSOLVES IN WATER! SALT ****ING DISSOLVES IN WATER!!!!” until grade 12, you’re not going to know if you want to be a scientist or not. And letting you drop science during grade two aka the SALT DISSOLVES IN WATER! phase and having people who don’t drop it learn about actual stuff won’t work either, for obvious reasons.

Do you know what happens after people graduate from high school? They don’t sit at home and watch Netflix and play candy crush all day and wait for their parents to send them their monthly allowance so they can *gasp* pay taxes!!! They go to university/college/whatever and get jobs. The skills you learn in high school will be used at work, obviously. Courses for different subjects are necessary because they show universities/workplaces your qualifications, something we can’t do with millions of kids ~*self-educating*~ themselves on tumblr and Wikipedia. Tests and exams don’t work perfectly, but unless YOU can think of a better alternative, they’re going to stay.

This thread is a joke. You’re telling people to drop out of high school, but are saying you can’t because you want to go to college. Why’s that? So you can get a job and a house and whatever, because you can’t do those things without an education. You don’t actually think it’ll be better for us to quit school, you just don’t like the current education system. Why should WE drop out of middle school and high school to fuel your political agenda?

There are problems with the current education system. Getting rid of it will NOT solve them, it’ll just make more problems.

im not telling people to drop out of high school at all. I'm going off to college, but i feel as if i didn't learn any
thing to prepare me for life. I am not going to use half the stuff I learned in high school. Now, let me dissect your points here.

1) The video brings my point forward in a way that makes sense. I'm not saying to dropout and become a mooch(that's a bad thing to do). I'm saying to have a say in what you learn and to make sure pointless things we aren't going to use don't stay in school.

2) Whether we like it or not, high school (is supposed to) prepare us for our lives. I learned more reading medical textbooks and watching documentaries than anything i learned in HS science class. Hell, freshman year was just planet earth documentaries. quite enjoyable.

3)You don't need a science class to be interested in science. We are all curious at one point or another on how the world works.

4) What happens after high school is really up to an individual. Personally, I'm going through my local colleges to get a degree in Advanced Biology for Preveterinary sciences. However, I do agree with you on the "self education" thing. Tumblr and Wikipedia are not good sources on their own. Or at all, in Tumblr's case.

5) The American Education system is all about getting the best test scores now. Those tests dictate what and how we are taught. I'm sure it isn't as bad as having no education. I just wish people had more of a say in what they learn.

6) You have completely missed the point i was making in this thread. Go take charge in your education. Learn for you, not for a test.

P.S. If you are going to try and argue civilly with someone, try not to swear and lose your temper. It makes you look irrational and unprofessional.

if you still won't watch the video, at least read this news article.
http://www.inquisitr.com/1813608/dont-stay-in-school-video-ripping-whats-taught-in-schools-goes-viral/

Last edited:
im not telling people to drop out of high school at all. I'm going off to college, but i feel as if i didn't learn any
thing to prepare me for life. I am not going to use half the stuff I learned in high school. Now, let me dissect your points here.

1) The video brings my point forward in a way that makes sense. I'm not saying to dropout and become a mooch(that's a bad thing to do). I'm saying to have a say in what you learn and to make sure pointless things we aren't going to use don't stay in school.

2) Whether we like it or not, high school (is supposed to) prepare us for our lives. I learned more reading medical textbooks and watching documentaries than anything i learned in HS science class. Hell, freshman year was just planet earth documentaries. quite enjoyable.

3)You don't need a science class to be interested in science. We are all curious at one point or another on how the world works.

4) What happens after high school is really up to an individual. Personally, I'm going through my local colleges to get a degree in Advanced Biology for Preveterinary sciences. However, I do agree with you on the "self education" thing. Tumblr and Wikipedia are not good sources on their own. Or at all, in Tumblr's case.

5) The American Education system is all about getting the best test scores now. Those tests dictate what and how we are taught. I'm sure it isn't as bad as having no education. I just wish people had more of a say in what they learn.

6) You have completely missed the point i was making in this thread. Go take charge in your education. Learn for you, not for a test.

P.S. If you are going to try and argue civilly with someone, try not to swear and lose your temper. It makes you look irrational and unprofessional.

if you still won't watch the video, at least read this news article.
http://www.inquisitr.com/1813608/dont-stay-in-school-video-ripping-whats-taught-in-schools-goes-viral/

I'm pretty sure that they only used one swear word, so if you don't want that to come up, please delete that. Dropping out of school is probably almost always bad, unless like your parents school you (or, see homeschooling) and thats pretty good. And bunny said, this thread is kinda ridiculous. I wouldn't make something to advise others to drop out of school, you know why??? Because most jobs out there REQUIRE a diploma. I mean yeah you could just past that test or whatever but how can you if the last thing you did was a 8th grade math problem??

Please close this thread before this gets out of hand.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Literal facepalm right here

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that they only used one swear word, so if you don't want that to come up, please delete that. Dropping out of school is probably almost always bad, unless like your parents school you (or, see homeschooling) and thats pretty good. And bunny said, this thread is kinda ridiculous. I wouldn't make something to advise others to drop out of school, you know why??? Because most jobs out there REQUIRE a diploma. I mean yeah you could just past that test or whatever but how can you if the last thing you did was a 8th grade math problem??

Please close this thread before this gets out of hand.

once again, the message isn't to drop out and ditch school altogether. i'm saying we should be learning far more useful things like the political system, debate, economics, and how to raise a family. How to go about buying a house. What we are learning is not useful in life. It is just trying to get us to do better on standardized tests

u see, school is gud for something
*you, *good.

primary(or elementary/middle is a ok in my book. High school needs lots of work.

Last edited:
once again, the message isn't to drop out and ditch school altogether. i'm saying we should be learning far more useful things like the political system, debate, economics, and how to raise a family. How to go about buying a house. What we are learning is not useful in life. It is just trying to get us to do better on standardized tests
You learn those things in college. Some kids want nothing to do with politics.

Back