• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

A Concern

MrPumpkinn

Pumpkin King
Bells
What I'm concerned about is the possibility, like the amiibos, is that the cards will be low in stock, resulting in them becoming rare and hard to get.

It's only natural that some cards will be "rarer" than others. I'm sure getting your hands on a Beau would be far more difficult than nabbing a Jambette. I'm 100% positive that Nintendo realizes that villagers are more popular than others and they will DEFINITELY abuse that and put in a rarity type system. If they didn't, I think it'd be kind of silly. Look at any other card based product. They all do the same thing.

If Nintendo is "smart" they'll make the cards in packs. So you never know what you get. That way they're making more money from people buying a million packs to get one villager card. Like Pokemon, you keep buying until you get the ones you want.

Yes,
& I think they should put a list in the pack so that you know what rarity of villager you get.

Well I'm guessing the "rarity" (if any at all) will solely be based on buyers. Not what Nintendo says. I'm sure Nintendo doesn't know that Beau and Lolly are super favored villagers. So I'm guessing if there is any rarity if will go based on what the buyers want.

The rare villagers will most likely be the NPCs. It would be too annoying if a set of 333+ cards had different rarities for each and every villager.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Like in Pokemon/whatever else you like, an Eelektrik is as rare as an like idk, Swadloon or something, but it costs more to buy an Eelektrik because its a more useful card. idk if this even makes sense anymore bc I stopped playing pokemon

I worry this too, and because they will be hard to find people will find an excuse to sell them really expensive :(

I worry this too, and because they will be hard to find people will find an excuse to sell them really expensive :(

This.

Animal crossing is a game that attracts collectors, so when they introduce cards that can be collected, you gotta worry about the potential frenzy. :(

It's only natural that some cards will be "rarer" than others. I'm sure getting your hands on a Beau would be far more difficult than nabbing a Jambette. I'm 100% positive that Nintendo realizes that villagers are more popular than others and they will DEFINITELY abuse that and put in a rarity type system. If they didn't, I think it'd be kind of silly. Look at any other card based product. They all do the same thing.

Speaking of Rarity, here's her thoughts on this "game".

Well I'm guessing the "rarity" (if any at all) will solely be based on buyers. Not what Nintendo says. I'm sure Nintendo doesn't know that Beau and Lolly are super favored villagers. So I'm guessing if there is any rarity if will go based on what the buyers want.

On the contrary, I'm sure that Nintendo DOES know what villagers are popular. Any successful company knows who plays their games, why they do, and what they like/dislike about them. In addition, they're most likely going to do extra research to find out what characters the public wants in the spin-off game. It's really stupid of them not to, because otherwise they'll end up making a ton of cards that people won't buy, when they could make oodles of money making popular characters. I'm sure there will be cards that will be "rarer" than others, whether it be based on something like the actual look of the card (shiny/glittery/whatever), NPC characters, or the ones Nintendo knows will sell really well.

I really feel like people are going to do what that guy who bought 100 Rosalina amiibos so no one else could have any did.

Maybe some cards will be more valuable than others but I doubt they'll be insanely rare like amiibos. After all, they're just cards. They're (hopefully) easy to print and make copies of compared to figures.

If Nintendo can't handle cards, I'd be sad.

On the contrary, I'm sure that Nintendo DOES know what villagers are popular. Any successful company knows who plays their games, why they do, and what they like/dislike about them. In addition, they're most likely going to do extra research to find out what characters the public wants in the spin-off game. It's really stupid of them not to, because otherwise they'll end up making a ton of cards that people won't buy, when they could make oodles of money making popular characters. I'm sure there will be cards that will be "rarer" than others, whether it be based on something like the actual look of the card (shiny/glittery/whatever), NPC characters, or the ones Nintendo knows will sell really well.

But what about the people who don't like the popular villagers? Some people don't pay attention to the popularity of a villager, but just how much they like the design or personality of that specific villager.
They don't want to make cards of only the popular villagers, because that wouldn't pertain to the people who don't care about those villagers. Someone might like Lolly, and yes, more people may like her than not. But there are also people out there who absolutely love Moose and he may be there favorite villager of all time. Where would that card be? If they didn't make cards of those villagers then they wouldn't be selling to everyone, only the people who want the 'popular' villagers.

Also, in the video showing, for example, Isabelle is labeled number 001 in the corner of the card. That's a pretty big give away that they're going to make every villager into a card. Because there is 333 villagers (the 001 shows there are spaces in the numbering for a triple digit amount of cards) and then the NPC's.

So my guess is they're going to release all villagers and NPC's as cards, they will all be numbered, and randomly distributed throughout the packages. Meaning, "Hey, you have to buy tons of packages of cards to be able to get all the villagers you want"

Also, them releasing all the villagers and NPC's gives people incentive to "collect them all". Like Pokemon. Of course there will be people who only want say 10 cards, but there will be crazy collectors out there buying ten packs a day to find whatever villager they need to complete their collection.

But what about the people who don't like the popular villagers? Some people don't pay attention to the popularity of a villager, but just how much they like the design or personality of that specific villager.
They don't want to make cards of only the popular villagers, because that wouldn't pertain to the people who don't care about those villagers. Someone might like Lolly, and yes, more people may like her than not. But there are also people out there who absolutely love Moose and he may be there favorite villager of all time. Where would that card be? If they didn't make cards of those villagers then they wouldn't be selling to everyone, only the people who want the 'popular' villagers.

Also, in the video showing, for example, Isabelle is labeled number 001 in the corner of the card. That's a pretty big give away that they're going to make every villager into a card. Because there is 333 villagers (the 001 shows there are spaces in the numbering for a triple digit amount of cards) and then the NPC's.

So my guess is they're going to release all villagers and NPC's as cards, they will all be numbered, and randomly distributed throughout the packages. Meaning, "Hey, you have to buy tons of packages of cards to be able to get all the villagers you want"

Also, them releasing all the villagers and NPC's gives people incentive to "collect them all". Like Pokemon. Of course there will be people who only want say 10 cards, but there will be crazy collectors out there buying ten packs a day to find whatever villager they need to complete their collection.

I'm not saying that everyone will like the most popular villagers. Statistically, there's going to be a number of villagers that are most popular and those who will not be as popular, and those who will/won't like each one. In addition, what I think you're not understanding is that 90% of the time people pick out villagers they like based on design, and a lot of people like the same ones. Nintendo will most likely act accordingly when deciding what to release, when, and with what other cards (series- cards could be random in a series, probably have a mix of NPC's/villagers of high and low popularity.)Sure, they can release all the villagers on cards, but they'll have to do it in a way that the majority of their players will buy. If they release a set of cards that's entirely popular villagers, it'll make money fast but they'll lose interest once everyone has those and less people will buy packs with solely the least popular villagers/NPC's. On the other hand, if they release a mixture of NPC's, popular and unpopular characters, and "rare" cards, people will have incentive to buy because with any luck they won't be able to collect the ones they want easily. I would definitely guess that there will be some type of rarity system like any collector item (stuffed animal, card, figurines) has. It doesn't mean that EVERYONE wants a sparkly Marshal card, but the majority will want to find and collect this, thus driving up sales on card packs.

Back