• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

[Important!] Dreamtown Stealing!!!

Yeah, I'm not too worried about it becoming a HUGE thing, but I'm just making sure people are aware of this as a thing-thing.

I do have a 3ds thats below that amount that I do use for hacking tools (general just housemoving and getting more flowers/clovers to plant around) and it doesn't force you to update but by the time the tool came out a lot of people already upgraded their system to the version that patches the browser exploit. xD

oh so you're a hacker

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'm not too worried about it becoming a HUGE thing, but I'm just making sure people are aware of this as a thing-thing.

I do have a 3ds thats below that amount that I do use for hacking tools (general just housemoving and getting more flowers/clovers to plant around) and it doesn't force you to update but by the time the tool came out a lot of people already upgraded their system to the version that patches the browser exploit. xD

Yeah, I'm aware of the hacking tools.(Can't seem to get it to work on my 3DS though even though it's the right version, but I'll figure it out. I can do hex.)

On the bright side though, if someone does steal a popular dream town or something, chances are there will be someone to call them out on stealing.

That's the good thing about the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Luckily it's practically impossible to connect to another game when you're a couple versions down from them and it's impossible to push the home button to get to the browser while you're in another town. I was just posting this to raise awareness that it's a thing, not to say omg Nintendo notice this lol

1) no one said you were saying "omg Nintendo notice this"
2) no one is nitpicking/attacking you personally

stop trying to twist ppls words around pls

It is intellectual theft. You are stealing, block for block, what other people have spent hours in finding, designing, creating. If you take something that is not rightfully yours, you are stealing. This is not even on par with having similar towns because the same path patterns are used and because the original creators have consciously and graciously shared them. But I would even go the lengths saying that if one spends all this time to find a similar map, unlock all the same PWPs, and plot-reset to get all the villagers into the same positions is plagiarizing. The hack is only a tool to speed up the process. At the heart, you are stealing, and that's what's horrific about it.

It's like in universities copying for your thesis; would the original authors of the manuscripts care? Probably not. But are there consequences? You might end up getting kicked out.

Oath, I'm not a bad hacker. I don't do what I do with the intent to destroy others games or give people a bad time. Theres a difference.

Jake, I apologize for "twisting" I honest to god wasn't trying to, I just had a misunderstanding and I got nervous. I apologize again.

- - - Post Merge - - -

It is intellectual theft. You are stealing, block for block, what other people have spent hours in finding, designing, creating. If you take something that is not rightfully yours, you are stealing. This is not even on par with having similar towns because the same path patterns are used and because the original creators have consciously and graciously shared them. But I would even go the lengths saying that if one spends all this time to find a similar map, unlock all the same PWPs, and plot-reset to get all the villagers into the same positions is plagiarizing. The hack is only a tool to speed up the process. At the heart, you are stealing, and that's what's horrific about it.

It's like in universities copying for your thesis; would the original authors of the manuscripts care? Probably not. But are there consequences? You might end up getting kicked out.

thank, a million times thank

i dont see how this counts as stealing tho, like yea i kinda can but lets break it down;
1) stealing refers to taking something someone else owns without consent/permission
2) you don't actually own the game. Nintendo owns it
3) so???

if you actually owned the rights to the game then yea you can scream theft, but you dont. you only physically own the game. Just because someone else "took" your town doesnt mean it's stealing... If you insured your town or sth then yeah maybe, but you ddin't, and the rights still belong to Nintendo. It's non profit so I really dont see how its stealing?
- if you spent hours making an art work for someone and then someone just took it as their own and sold it for $$$ then yea, stealing
- if you spend hours working on ur town and then someone took it, no, that's copying

copying =/= stealing

i've been to peoples towns and been like 'o this is nice' and then copied it and put it in my own town, so what? you should be proud someone liked it enough to want to have their own copy of it. you can scream theft all you want, but since you don't actually own it there's little to nothing you can do, so may as well deal with it and get over it

you may as well say someone "stole" my pokemon because i spent hours IV breeding for a perfect IV pokemon but then someone caught one in the wild, how is that stealing?

i didnt create the english language so every thing i type, word for word, am i stealing from someone?

Last edited:
I never heard of this. Then again, I hardly ever use a game shark or any other hacking/cheating tool. I think the most hacking I've done has been using the Console Commands in Sims 3 and Skyrim. However, it does make me sick that people are stealing (pixel by pixel) very last piece of some town and going, "Hey look at what I made!" It's disgraceful.

I'm more worried about Nintendo shutting down the AC wifi service because of this.

That would suck, so bad. :/

they're not going to so cool yer jets :-}

I agree with this comment because ACNL online is such hot thing for them. That said, I think what they'll do is figure out how to make patches to block this from happening and/or brick (or block) the offending parties, like they did with Wiis.

Last edited:
i dont see how this counts as stealing tho, like yea i kinda can but lets break it down;
1) stealing refers to taking something someone else owns without consent/permission
3) so???

if you actually owned the rights to the game then yea you can scream theft, but you dont. you only physically own the game. Just because someone else "took" your town doesnt mean it's stealing... If you insured your town or sth then yeah maybe, but you ddin't, and the rights still belong to Nintendo. It's non profit so I really dont see how its stealing?
- if you spent hours making an art work for someone and then someone just took it as their own and sold it for $$$ then yea, stealing
- if you spend hours working on ur town and then someone took it, no, that's copying

copying =/= stealing

i've been to peoples towns and been like 'o this is nice' and then copied it and put it in my own town, so what? you should be proud someone liked it enough to want to have their own copy of it. you can scream theft all you want, but since you don't actually own it there's little to nothing you can do, so may as well deal with it and get over it

you may as well say someone "stole" my pokemon because i spent hours IV breeding for a perfect IV pokemon but then someone caught one in the wild, how is that stealing?

i didnt create the english language so every thing i type, word for word, am i stealing from someone?

"I'm not saying it's this bad thing but it IS actually another kind of bad thing."

I agree with this comment because ACNL online is such hot thing for them. That said, I think what they'll do is figure out how to make patches to block this from happening and/or brick (or block) the offending parties, like they did with Wiis.

This was already blocked as soon as the system update for 9.5.0-23 came out. They can't do any patches or anything for this hack as it was for an older system version.

Unless they have a time machine, there's nothing they can really do to prevent this besides shut down wifi. The updates aren't exactly forced, so unless everyone who has access to this accidentally updates somehow this is here to stay.

Last edited:
3) so???

copying =/= stealing

Yes, you are correct that Nintendo owns the game and that we are just holding the linceses thereof the game (physical or digital). This much I will not deny as you are correct in this meaning. However, lets take a look at the two words in question:
CopySteal
a thing made to be similar or identical to anothertake (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.
The fact that you went to a town and went "Hey, that looks good!" before using the inspriation to create something like it lies more withing the first word, particually if you actually worked on creating it. However, somebody going through a town going, "Hey, this looks good..." and using the hack/cheat to make their own town look EXACTLY, pixel by pixel, like the first one without any major effort, to me sound like its in the grey area cause then they will claim they have created it themselves. As for your Pokemon question, it's neither copying nor stealing, it just happened that way.

3) so???

copying =/= stealing

Let me break it down even further for you. The form of stealing that we are talking about here is plagiarizing. That is copying to the extend that nothing is of your own. You can say that the different areas of your town is inspired by a combination of designs that multiple people have come up with; but your originality comes in the selection of the designs and arranging them in such a way that fit your town theme and map. Anybody is entitled to be inspired by something they see, but copying something in its entirety goes beyond being inspired. You clearly are not.

Yes Nintendo owns the game, but the creator of the town owns the design of their town. If you are to steal Nintendo's game, you are creating another game system, say Fish Crossing, that has the same game mechanisms, concept, and design as Animal Crossing the game itself. You can probably get away with copying another town in its entirety since the original design is not copyrighted or insured. But it doesn't take away the fact that it is still something morally wrong to do.

Also, individual English words are not a thing to be stolen, but words arranged in sentences and paragraphs that reveal a thought, an expression can be copyrighted. That's why publications are copyrighted.

Honestly, I never really understood the whole use of powersaves and such. Animal Crossing has always been to me working to get everything exactly how you want it. Once you put a lot of love and passion into something, it has more of a meaning and you gain a sense of pride that you made something. Powersaves and this technique really diminish that.

That being said, everyone has the right to play the game how they wish, so if you wanna copy someones town, I honestly dont care. It's rude and lazy, but it doesnt really matter in the grand scheme of things.

In short, calm down and enjoy the game guys. :)

Yes, you are correct that Nintendo owns the game and that we are just holding the linceses thereof the game (physical or digital). This much I will not deny as you are correct in this meaning. However, lets take a look at the two words in question:
CopySteal
a thing made to be similar or identical to anothertake (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.
The fact that you went to a town and went "Hey, that looks good!" before using the inspriation to create something like it lies more withing the first word, particually if you actually worked on creating it. However, somebody going through a town going, "Hey, this looks good..." and using the hack/cheat to make their own town look EXACTLY, pixel by pixel, like the first one without any major effort, to me sound like its in the grey area cause then they will claim they have created it themselves. As for your Pokemon question, it's neither copying nor stealing, it just happened that way.

stealing means you physically take it though and they no longer have it, or copying with the intent for profit. if you actually somehow destroyed their town in the process, then it's stealing. but you don't, they still have a copy of their town so it's not theft.

if you go to someones house, see a picture you like and want it for yourself, obviously if you take it, that's theft, but if you take it to a scanner and copy it, then it's copying, not theft.

so since you don't actually rid anyone of their town, it's not theft.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Let me break it down even further for you. The form of stealing that we are talking about here is plagiarizing. That is copying to the extend that nothing is of your own. You can say that the different areas of your town is inspired by a combination of designs that multiple people have come up with; but your originality comes in the selection of the designs and arranging them in such a way that fit your town theme and map. Anybody is entitled to be inspired by something they see, but copying something in its entirety goes beyond being inspired. You clearly are not.
plagiarizing is only if they actually claim it to be their own though. so unless someone outright says "yo i made this town" then it's not plagiarism (well i mean it still is, but since there aren't any legal grounds of an AC town you can't really prove it)

Last edited:
Generally, discussion of these sorts of things are not allowed here. I'll allow the thread to stay open for now for the sake of awareness of what the thread originally was about and let the current debate continue, but I've removed the explicit references in some posts to specific hacking tools and the sort. Please do not post about them here.

Last edited:
ok, but we're all forgetting something important here

that we can finally see what's in the closed off room of アィカ's house

Last edited:
I don't see how people can do this. The whole point of the game is to make your town the best it can be, if you just copy a town you're missing the point. My town isn't good enough to steal, but if it was taken, I would feel awful. Do you really want the town THAT bad? Why can't you just visit the dream address? A lot of people work really hard on their towns, just to see someone else get the same town with none of the effort. I really hope this doesn't become this huge thing, but knowing people on the internet, it probably will.

Back