• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

ever been scammed in acnl?

I once invited this really nice girl to my town after I went to hers. Since I trusted her a bit because of how polite she was, I let her explore because I had to use the bathroom. When I got back she said she had to go so I ended. Later that day I was walking around town and I noticed several hybrids missing. At first I thought the villagers were picking them up, but they never did ones like this.
After that she constantly asked to visit my town, but I always thought of an excuse. Then one day I did an experiment. I let her come over and let her walk around. Secretly I was following her and I saw take a hybrid! I flipped the switch and deleted her friend code after that.

I think we can all agree we've been scammed by Tom Nook's greed.

Most of my interaction with people online in this game has been on the up & up.

Oh, so now we know who the original scammer is. Time for me to blacklist this greedy raccoon for taking all of our Bells for small renovations. I'm sorry that he scammed you.

I have had over 1000 visitors.I have never been scammed.The worst that happened is the other day a girl came over and bought every item in my retail.Kind of annoyed me because she didn't ask.But, if she had asked, I would have told her she could, so no big deal.

Nah. The couple of times people could've scammed me, I fortunately met really nice people. For example, I didn't know that putting your 3DS on sleep mode left the gates open, and someone I was waiting to trade with came by and did the trade while I was unaware, and everything was accounted for. Another time, around launch, I had my gates open for friends, and someone I met from the island came to visit. All they did was leave me some perfect fruit and gave me an outfit in Able's.

Luckily, all the people I've met so far have been really nice apart from the odd two in which I pulled the Wifi switch off before they could get away with anything.

I have been scammed on other games and stuff like AC though so I know it's a horrible feeling.

When I was new I got into a shady deal where a backer paid for the villager I wanted in exchange for a higher up villager so I got my villager but lost a precious...Marshall was a mistake I wasn't sure what to high bid him so I auctioned another started my winner at said time of ending reneged the 19m I should have left it up or restarted second bidder down reneged got the other Marshall has since been seen selling him at least three times at my count. I asked for only non reseller and said was disillusioned a deal especially after twelve hrs of my time if you win should be a deal got a message after close will take him got dropped some bags maybe a third of what was worth as tip and now totally understand stricter rules on any auction but until cycle town someone got a cheap resell Marshall likely knowing I was too upset to stop collect rethink and redo.
In ACC on city folk, oh yes on Island before had a site they tried but I didn't have much then. Most recently am finding new very new member maybe just adding to adopt won't read rules, run away from me the one today I said where are you follow me he was like a flash said he went into wrong home had to be Muffy filbert or Francine unless he can map hop I couldn't see him said come to bridge please he said he was already in the house. I didn't have time to look around after and am scared I may have been dropped a voider which would mess up an almost done plan, don't know when voideds show so crossing fingers. I have learned if no wifi feedback, and very newly added I have right to say no without a reason given other than must be a member for such and such time, or have at least two positive feedbacks...Not sure what he did really it was just we went over the rules...Niether of my runners gave me a wifi receipt either. Did he drop me someone don't know yet....Never give neg feedback fear of the same for no reason and never sure when to flip switch I should go more by gut. It is not as bad here as other site I used to use though the few are the few.

No, and stories like this are the reason why because I'm really reluctant to let strangers come to my town unless I know them somehow.

Well, kinda.. I had a bunch of rare hybrids next to the train station. 2 people came, i didn't trust them so I hided behind a tree (that tree was mext to my rare hybrids) they couldn't see me. So, I was standing there behing the tree when I see somekne hrabbing my hybrids. So, I said: WHAT ARE U DOING?! And I walked to the person who tried to steal my hybrids. (I saw that he was grabbing them, cause I was behind a tree) anyway, spy on them. It's funny to see someone grabbing your hybrids and then scare them. Lol.
That's pretty good.

I've never been 'scammed' per-say but I did win a giveaway once and never actually got my prize. Beyond that mainly just people saying they're going to trade with me and then never following through. Everybody I've actually traded with though has for the most part been really nice! I guess I'm just lucky. :)

Not really... I'm sure this wasn't intentional, however, I was doing a trade for Merengue, they were giving Merengue and I was giving 10mil bells. So I gave 5mil and got Merengue, then I had guests coming over so I had to stop, I told her and she was okay with that, I said I'd leave my throwing beans there so that she'd know I was coming back... I tried contacting her multiple time to get my beans back and give her the bells, but she never answered...
Also don't know if this counts but I've had someone tell me to give them a million bells on the island or they'd hack me.. I don't even know how, I just ignored them and they left.

Thankfully I can say that I have not. Probably has to do with the fact that all the people I Wifi with are from this site <3

Thankfully I can say that I have not. Probably has to do with the fact that all the people I Wifi with are from this site <3

Same here! That one time I got scamed.. (The story on the first start.. Page thingy) I used a different site but since then, I have been fine.. XD

i have! :( long story short: people came to my town, stole everything hybrids, the lot and ran of... i was gonna reset my town anyway so it didnt mater but i was still annoyed! they were people i knew in rl so i was not pleased! oh well.. i was a noob then and didnt know about the switch... and i wasnt watching them XD

have YOU ever been scammed? if so, share your stories done below! hopefully this will help others avoid being scammed!
Was this before or after your game was reset by your sister and the denizens of TBT came to your aid, or before or after your brother, less than a week later similarly reset your town and you were given items and bells from TBT members? Curious to post about being scammed so soon after people offered to help out.

So far I have not been scammed, but then I feel the general population is fairly trustworthy, but as in all things, user beware.

I'm lucky that I've never been scammed in acnl, I'm very very anxious and worried that I will though, I follow everyone around and make sure they have good wifi ratings etc. I feel so bad for everyone who has been scammed, it must be horrible.

No, I don't think I have, really. I don't actually do a lot of trades online except for here, so I think It's pretty easy to find out who's scammed and who hasn't.

Unintentionally, though, I feel like I almost scammed someone else. At the time, I was searching for bamboo shoots, and we were discussing what the price would be (Both of us had never traded bamboo before.). So, they were offering a very, very low price. So I accepted, and right when I was on the train, I saw people offering way more bells for shoots, so I gave them some extra bells to make it even, lol. I would've felt bad if I didn't.

Same here :)

I am very cautious about visits and trades, and they all come from this forum.

I also try to keep things close to the station and almost no one is allowed south of my river.

Back