• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Cutting One's Losses

Candy83

Óhana — Representative
Bells
Switch
5384-7037-2615
August Birthstone (Peridot)
Gold Super Mailbox
Cutting One's Losses

I am considering eliminating one of my towns.

It would be Progress.

Reason for it has to do with the map. I have, on and off, been lately hosting turnips. People have been good to bring me Starters (which were badly needed). And I haven't done any planting yet. (I would transfer all needed/wanted items in between towns before use in a new town.)

I started Progress probably around this past February or March. I stayed with it because I liked having a beach that faces west. It was my second game copy of "Animal Crossing: New Leaf." I didn't know, at that time, I would buy any more copies. (I have four.)

In Progress, I have a very good cast of villagers. They are listed in my signature. But to re-list them here, I will present them in order of my own personal taste and sense of priority (for a re-created town):

01. Cranky wolf Fang
02. Normal duck Molly
03. Lazy deer Erik
04. Peppy hamster Apple
05. Smug sheep Pietro
06. Jock deer Bam
07. Cranky eagle Apollo
08. Snooty cat Ankha
09. Normal deer Fauna
10. Uchi cat Katt

From that list, Pietro and Katt are the easiest to maneuver getting in a re-created town. To start a new town, I would be in good shape with successfully coordinating the selection of a more appealing map with the native fruit I want (cherry) and a first-five starters lineup which does not include a Cranky or a Normal. (Given the fact that Fang and Molly are my most-loved male and female villagers.) Or, then again, I can have some luck and get one of those favorites among my first five starters.

I want to ask people the following:

Have any of you reset a given town, which had lasted in real time at least six months?
—AND—
Was it worth your time and effort?

Last edited:
I've never reset my town before. I only have one copy of the game. I've never even resetted for a map either, I just picked one of the five that had a sideways river.

I reset my old town Sapphire in February (I made it at release). I am very happy with my town now. I think you would be happier if you reset :)

I reset my old town Sapphire in February (I made it at release). I am very happy with my town now. I think you would be happier if you reset :)

I'm leaning there.

I just hope I don't pick a map that has the same problems seen in Progress. (For example, there being numerous rocks at the worst locations.)

I am one who likes to have Re-Tail Shop on the north side of town close to the train tracks. That, for some other forum members, is unappealing. I like it for the sake of hosting turnips. (Visitors get to do their transactions much more efficiently. Who wants to walks down to the southern half of town and back?)

To go ahead and reset, I wouldn't have to make this happen soon. I can spend time reorganizing. But it really does have me curious about whether I made a mistake keeping it for this long. (That there are people who held a town for a good six months or more, in real time, before "Cutting Their Losses.")

I want to ask people the following:

Have any of you reset a given town, which had lasted in real time at least six months?
?AND?
Was it worth your time and effort?

My previous town, Papaya, had over 500 hours of play-time in it (around 7 months' worth, I think). It was definitely the biggest time sink of my life. Last week, I did the reset and basically flushed that work down the drain.

So why did I do it?

Because I wasn't enjoying it anymore. Which led to me making bad decisions with respect to letting villagers I liked move away and villagers I didn't like move in. Because I had also messed up the bridges and didn't really think my PWPs through. And, more importantly, because I was running out of creativity and had no idea what to do with Papaya anymore.

I think it's worth it to reset a village if it can renew your interest in the game. I'm still trying to adjust to all the new changes (new layout, new villagers, new theme) so it's too early to tell if the new town will accumulate the same number of play hours for my old town and even exceed it. But now I'm spending more time with the town per day than I did with my old one. And that I think speaks volumes on how refreshing this change is.

Last edited:
I had one town for about 6 or 7 months. I reset, because of an prolonged break. I ended up going through and resetting quite a few towns, until I found my current one, which is practically perfect for me. Only thing I don't care for is the train station color, and if that's all I can complain about, then, I'd consider myself pretty lucky. I think if it's already a thought in your head, it's going to remain there and fester. So, you might as well grit your teeth and do it. I must warn you, though. There is a chance that once you start resetting, it can become difficult to stop. Good luck. If you do reset, I hope you find the town that you think is perfect and stick with it.

I had a town for a year starting the release, frankly I completed what I wanted to and became bored, I got new dreamies and have a change now that feels more fun

Having read responses leading to mstout, at Post #07, it makes sense to reset.

In fact, I am already envisioning that I can transfer most of those first six listed villagers, once I pick a town. It would be best not to reset Progress but take the No. 4 game copy of "Animal Crossing: New Leaf" from which to develop the new town. (I won't officially end Progress until that becomes completed.)

It will take a good amount of effort.

The Smug (and Uchi) doesn't originate with the first five starters in "AC: NL"—so Pietro will be the easiest. The Nos. 9 and 10 slots, as they appear on the game screen of listed villagers, would be the more convenient slots to which I would transfers any of those listees (who are not a Smug or an Uchi). And it would be interesting, once I commit to a new town, which of the five other Villager Personalities—Cranky, Snooty, Lazy, Normal, Jock, Peppy—are not originally represented on Day #01.

This may be more satisfying for me. That it would make me realize, after I do it, that I should not have waited so long.

For anyone who has visited Progress—via a Dream Address—you can probably tell why I am contemplating starting brand new.

Thank you, everyone, for your input! (And thank you for relating your experiences.)

Last edited:
I will be resetting my daughters town this weekend. It has been up and running since october? We don't like the layout at all and are looking forward to starting new.

I had my town (without tting) for about 5 months (August-January), I didn't care about my map so that wasn't the problem. I loved the villagers, but I just git bored. It was done, Mainstreet completed, Perfect town rating, house updated till the max. So, I restarted. I'm resetting for several weeks now, I'm just never really happy. I don't want to tt, but I just can't wait a full day to see the new plot. Anyway, I'm going to reset today. Going to keep that town. It's going to be hard, but it's possible.

I had a town for four months with no TTing, and I have never regretted resetting. But I never really did start landscaping, so most of the effort I used in my first time wasn't lost when recreating my second town. But it was a big pain transferring 100 million bells and two storages of items. And I had about 6-7 villagers held so that was pretty stressful. But it was worth it since most of my effort in my first town is just making bells and collecting villagers. My second town has a much better map and it's just more fun since I actually have space for PWP's.

I am going to reset the town.

It will work out for me.

I will have a better looking town (in terms of the map).

And I may get the majority of my current villagers over there. (A trade-off here or there.)

I am going to reset the town.

It will work out for me.

I will have a better looking town (in terms of the map).

And I may get the majority of my current villagers over there. (A trade-off here or there.)

Good luck! Hope you find everything you want, and remember there's always VTP/Cycling threads to help you.

Good luck. I want to reset, but only for a different map. I won't because I don't want to lose most of my villagers. Plus my wife has a character too and she'd kill me.

I had a town (Vxshenji) for a super long time. probably over a year. I realized that I hated the town layout so I reset. At first it was hard because I lost my bells and shop upgrades and I had to pay off my house again. But in the long run its worth it. I think you should reset

My girlfriend recently reset her town that she's had since the game came out. She was unhappy with the layout, PWP, etc. I held on to all the items she wanted to keep and now that she's started over she is much happier with the game.

Back