• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details!

you ignore the villagers that you want to move away, but they refuse to go!

dawsoncreek

Bells
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
December Birthstone (Turquoise)
This happens to me all the time so now I just go with the flow! So I have Moose in my town, but I want him to go...(his long little rat tail weirds me out.) I never talk to him. I run off when he tries to talk to me. Now I talk to my other villagers everyday and send them gifts. So imagine my surprise when Fauna gives me the old "it's not you, it's me" speech and tells me she's moving. I tell her to stay...the next day Diana tells me she's leaving...I'm like dude...I just mailed you an awesome letter along with a gift yesterday and you want to move...I tell her to stay...a week later Fang wants to leave...I'm like dude..you just invited me to your house...I tell him to stay...Finally Moose pings to talk to me....I take a chance and talk to him thinking he's gonna ask to move...and he says....."I bought two modern lamps...wanna buy one off me?"....Really Moose!...Will you ever leave!!

I stand by my theory that it's completely random.
I didn't talk to Charlise once. She moved.
I talked to Dotty everyday. She moved.
I honestly don't think it matters if you befriend them or not...It's RANDOM.

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of people say the more friendly you are to a villager, the more likely they are to move. It makes sense that they'd move on after you reach a certain level of friendship with them so other villagers can move in and you can repeat the process with them.

It could be completely random though. No one really knows for sure.

I've just been talking to all of my villagers every day and doing what tasks I can for them when they ask, whether I plan to keep them in my town or not. Eventually the ones I don't want to stay there will ask to move, I've already gotten two out in the past few weeks so hopefully things will keep going that way.

Its actually a stage to bestfriendness (Getting their picture) (this is not an accurate order to being best friends)
1.They start out just knowing you
2. They sell you/buy you stuff
3. They ask you to change their phrase and such
4. They ask for items for their house
5. They give you lots of different (sometimes difficult) tasks
6. They want to come to your house or invite you to theirs
7. PICTURE OBTAINED

* Means Nintendo is bad and doesn't want you to get the pic so they try to make the villagers move, you can stop them by giving them stuff in letters or just telling them not to go when they tell you they're moving

Sometimes is just random but if you want someone to go just ignore them and if you want them not to go but its too late and theyve decided to move just send them fruit or other cool things in letters

And yeah it's kinda random
If you pick for them to stay they MAY want to leave
and viceversa

:I

Exackly! The villagers I talk to all the time and do favors for them always ask to move, and then the villagers I talk to very little and don't do what they wanted me to do just wont leave! Im looking at you Lucha :/

I have been trying for a couple of months to get Lucky to leave. I took him as a camper because I know people like him, but he just doesn't want to move. I've tried annoying, ignoring, tt... nothing. Static and Genji apparently really want to move though. Maybe being friendly helps. I love those two villagers.

I don't believe that ignoring villagers to get them to move works at all, as many here have said. I believe that it's random. While I think that friendship might play a small role in villagers moving, even if it did, it would probably make villagers want to move out more if your best friends with them.

Believe me, I've tried ignoring, and it doesn't work. I ignored Gruff, and it took him at least 2 months to move out of my town. (just approximating because I have no idea the exact amount of time)

Its actually a stage to bestfriendness (Getting their picture) (this is not an accurate order to being best friends)
1.They start out just knowing you
2. They sell you/buy you stuff
3. They ask you to change their phrase and such
4. They ask for items for their house
5. They give you lots of different (sometimes difficult) tasks
6. They want to come to your house or invite you to theirs
7. PICTURE OBTAINED

* Means Nintendo is bad and doesn't want you to get the pic so they try to make the villagers move, you can stop them by giving them stuff in letters or just telling them not to go when they tell you they're moving

Sometimes is just random but if you want someone to go just ignore them and if you want them not to go but its too late and theyve decided to move just send them fruit or other cool things in letters

And yeah it's kinda random
If you pick for them to stay they MAY want to leave
and viceversa

:I

If this is indeed true, I'm super close to getting Rod's picture! WEET WOOT!

I think the worst is when they lead you on to make you think they're gonna go, and then when you're like "See ya!" Because you have no emotional involvement in them and haven't spoken to them in months, they decide they wanna stay to become your best friend.

Like this ain't your turf.

This is my house.

My rules.

I don't believe that ignoring villagers to get them to move works at all, as many here have said. I believe that it's random. While I think that friendship might play a small role in villagers moving, even if it did, it would probably make villagers want to move out more if your best friends with them.

Believe me, I've tried ignoring, and it doesn't work. I ignored Gruff, and it took him at least 2 months to move out of my town. (just approximating because I have no idea the exact amount of time)

I've tried ignoring too and sometimes it does work. I ignored Fauna and she moved out immediately. However, I have ignored Maelle but she won't move out. It is random.

Try not to talk to a hatie (antonym of dreamie) when they ping. If they do decide to stay, reboot the game and ignore their ping.

Also, I believe you can "reset" your reward before you complete a difficult request (giving them perfect fruit instead of plain fruit, shark instead of other ocean fish etc). Mira moved in just a month shy when she asked for an ocean fish. I saved and gave her a shark. She'd been given me furniture pieces, but on my 8th reset she gave me her pic.

Try not to talk to a hatie (antonym of dreamie) when they ping. If they do decide to stay, reboot the game and ignore their ping.

LOL. But wouldn't the antonym be nightmarie? Because... you know... dreamie comes from the word dream, and the opposite of a dream is a nightmare... (I think?)

I'm pretty sure friendship plays a role in all this. I've been having awesome luck getting people out. In fact, the only ones who have been pinging me lately are ones I want out. Daisy, Peck, Charlise... And, with the exception of Daisy (who I wanted to befriend but rarely ever saw out) were all villagers I had max friendship with.

But ignoring... eh, it does and doesn't work. Boone moved in from a void right after I got someone out and he crushed my Bell trees, so I ignored him for like two weeks. Finally I decided to talk to him, and he pinged me like two days later. The best part about rarely talking with villagers is that they never ping you, so the only time they ping is when they want to move.

LOL. But wouldn't the
antonym be nightmarie? Because... you know... dreamie comes from the word dream, and the opposite of a dream is a nightmare... (I think?)

Wouldn't the opposite of a dream be reality? Or something along those lines? xD

Last edited:
In my weeding town where I sometimes cycle villagers out, I've noticed no difference in who wants to move out, sometimes it'll be villagers I've never spoken to at all, sometimes it'll be ones I've spoken to quite a few times. The only thing I have noticed is most of the time the last villager to move in won't move out until someone has gone before them, but that's old news.

Also, I second 'nightmarie' :p

Back