• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details!

Splatoon Worst Salmon Run Teams?

I finally hit 999 playing with random people (yes, you heard that right. I played Freelance exclusively today). So yeah, there is still hope :p

brxv1ja.jpg

NjOEsKu.jpg

Last edited:
So, I played a few games at the start of the shift today before going out and I got lucky with randoms (Freelance) haha.

It didn't take me long to go up from Prof 400 to 600 (the time I stopped playing) with 5 revives and almost 0 death.

I'm fine with people dying every now and then, or sometimes lol as long as they're putting the eggs..

td5YhTK.jpg

I am trying to grind SR on my new baby lvl 14 squid account to get some gears and chunks. I came across one hazard level max during that time which we won. Freelance is such a hit or miss and it’s been hell trying to rank up from the 300 bracket because we’d win one and then maybe wipe wave 1 on the next :<

nCYWtAk.jpg

This is probably as far as I can go today (current shift with E-Liter scope, Sloshing Machine, Splattershot and one random). Well, I've actually been to around Prof 940 but wasn't able to take a screenshot of it. I'd say apart from weapons not being easy, the problem is matchmaking. I mean, at 800-900, I keep getting paired with teammates who doesn't know what to do (might be early Profreshionals or something).

I actually wouldn't mind playing with anyone if I'm still around 400-600 range during the first few hours of the shift since I can carry them for the most part, but higher quotas and number of consecutive bosses at 800-900 means there is little room for error. So it's like "don't die" lol or you will easily get overwhelmed. Plus, I don't think they can manage the hordes when I'm pushing the quota up to 19-20 first wave where they should have been only 14-15.

It's infuriating when I reach 940 then go on a losing streak to drop to 890 then back up to 930 then back to 855 then 930 again. Yes, it happened to me three times. I was like " Almost there to 999" ugh. Salmonid Rush is killer in this shift and I always feel anxious going to Hazard Level Max high tide due to the available weapons, and lousy/dumb teammates lol I mean, of course, I make mistakes sometimes but, like, if I die even if it's my first time, the team will get wipeout in a matter of seconds. That's something. Awareness people. Try to revive dead teammates instead of just going gung-ho to the egg basket yourself or kill bosses (assuming there is still time).

I am trying to grind SR on my new baby lvl 14 squid account to get some gears and chunks. I came across one hazard level max during that time which we won. Freelance is such a hit or miss and it’s been hell trying to rank up from the 300 bracket because we’d win one and then maybe wipe wave 1 on the next :<

Congrats on winning HLM! One tip I could probably give is don't die haha easier said than done, right? Try to limit your death since you will come across people who doesn't know how to revive or stay alive for 10 seconds lol. Also, try to increase awareness, I guess. Revive them if you can. Use the splat bomb, it will save time. I almost never use my main to revive teammates so the bomb is my bestfriend xD Also, don't forget to take note of your special. Observe your surroundings and teammates.

For example, if you feel that you're about to get overwhelmed because the charger doesn't know how to kill the Steelhead or Eel that is pestering you for a while near the basket, use your Inkjet or Splashdown to finish them. It's not there just to be use for the 3rd wave or partying after. I hate it when people use them during the last ten seconds before getting wipeout or that's a wrap just to revive teammates because people are getting splatted by the Steelhead bomb and eventually not meeting the quota because of the time. I mean, what if that person uses Splashdown or Inkjet on the Steelhead before everything happened? Who knows? Maybe you already met the quota before time expires. Try to practice if you feel that you're still efficient in using them. Inkjet/Splashdown can kill Steelheads, Steel Eel, Flyfish boxes. Stingray goes through so if there are many Scrappers and you need the eggs asap, use it. Bomb Launcher can kill Stingers if you're using slow weapons as well as group of Scrappers who likes to face in different directions lol.

And lastly, try to lure every boss, especially Maws and Scrappers on the egg basket at the start of the wave for easier egg collecting. Don't just charge there killing everything. Many people still do this and not being smart about it that not everyone could get every egg far away. Stingers abd Flyfish are the only boss that must be killed in a distance. Flyfish, just bomb one box so he could only target one person. Three Flyfish with a single boxes each is better than them respawning once in a while. Play with the weapon shift that you're comfortable with if you want to rank up (or if you're feeling confident, sure!) Know their power and range. Priority for chargers are Steelheads/Eels, Blasters or any fast weapon for Stingers, Inkbrush to deliver eggs and revive people, Rollers for Salmonid Rush, etc. Goodluck! Who knows? Someday, getting to 600 or higher is already a normal occurrence for you. Sorry long response :p

Last edited:
Flyfish, just bomb one box so he could only target one person. Three Flyfish with a single boxes each is better than them respawning once in a while.
I've NEVER thought about doing this, but that sounds really helpful! Usually if I am overwhelmed I'll try taking down 1 side of the Flyfish since they'll fire less missiles, then I'll run away and focus on something else. But I've never considered doing that on purpose to stop more full-powered ones from respawning...

I've NEVER thought about doing this, but that sounds really helpful! Usually if I am overwhelmed I'll try taking down 1 side of the Flyfish since they'll fire less missiles, then I'll run away and focus on something else. But I've never considered doing that on purpose to stop more full-powered ones from respawning...

Sometimes, I just chuck a bomb on the way if I see a Flyfish or if they're really annoying me then go on killing another Salmonid (also hoping one of my teammates don't chuck a second bomb if there are already 3 Flyfish on the map). Anyway, glad to help. The Drizzlers are also a problem if there are too many. If I can align the missile to the umbrella as it launches, I would, to OHKO them.

Last edited:

Congrats on winning HLM! One tip I could probably give is don't die haha easier said than done, right? Try to limit your death since you will come across people who doesn't know how to revive or stay alive for 10 seconds lol. Also, try to increase awareness, I guess. Revive them if you can. Use the splat bomb, it will save time. I almost never use my main to revive teammates so the bomb is my bestfriend xD Also, don't forget to take note of your special. Observe your surroundings and teammates.

For example, if you feel that you're about to get overwhelmed because the charger doesn't know how to kill the Steelhead or Eel that is pestering you for a while near the basket, use your Inkjet or Splashdown to finish them. It's not there just to be use for the 3rd wave or partying after. I hate it when people use them during the last ten seconds before getting wipeout or that's a wrap just to revive teammates because people are getting splatted by the Steelhead bomb and eventually not meeting the quota because of the time. I mean, what if that person uses Splashdown or Inkjet on the Steelhead before everything happened? Who knows? Maybe you already met the quota before time expires. Try to practice if you feel that you're still efficient in using them. Inkjet/Splashdown can kill Steelheads, Steel Eel, Flyfish boxes. Stingray goes through so if there are many Scrappers and you need the eggs asap, use it. Bomb Launcher can kill Stingers if you're using slow weapons as well as group of Scrappers who likes to face in different directions lol.

And lastly, try to lure every boss, especially Maws and Scrappers on the egg basket at the start of the wave for easier egg collecting. Don't just charge there killing everything. Many people still do this and not being smart about it that not everyone could get every egg far away. Stingers abd Flyfish are the only boss that must be killed in a distance. Flyfish, just bomb one box so he could only target one person. Three Flyfish with a single boxes each is better than them respawning once in a while. Play with the weapon shift that you're comfortable with if you want to rank up (or if you're feeling confident, sure!) Know their power and range. Priority for chargers are Steelheads/Eels, Blasters or any fast weapon for Stingers, Inkbrush to deliver eggs and revive people, Rollers for Salmonid Rush, etc. Goodluck! Who knows? Someday, getting to 600 or higher is already a normal occurrence for you. Sorry long response :p

I've only played 3 HLM so far, including on my main file, and they were way easier than most shifts I've played. I was probably put with good players who knew what they were doing too so that helped. I've had a lot of no death runs where everyone knows exactly what to do and those are great. It just sucks when others don't know about boss luring and run off in all directions, especially on maps like lost outpost and polaris U_U I think 650 is the highest I've gotten on freelance, but I was a bit spoiled on that run since it was during golden rotation ;) I definitely only play SR though when I'm confident with the weapons. I just really don't enjoy playing some weapons on SR so I avoid it, especially scoped chargers. But I do LOVE the splat charger on SR. It's just a hit or miss if you're gonna get good team mates who know how to use certain weapons during that rotation.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Sometimes, I just chuck a bomb on the way if I see a Flyfish or if they're really annoying me then go on killing another Salmonid (also hoping one of my teammates don't chuck a second bomb if there are already 3 Flyfish on the map). Anyway, glad to help. The Drizzlers are also a problem if there are too many. If I can align the missile to the umbrella as it launches, I would, to OHKO them.

Yeah post people on freelance don't know this about the flyfish though sadly U_U

I've only played 3 HLM so far, including on my main file, and they were way easier than most shifts I've played. I was probably put with good players who knew what they were doing too so that helped. I've had a lot of no death runs where everyone knows exactly what to do and those are great. It just sucks when others don't know about boss luring and run off in all directions, especially on maps like lost outpost and polaris U_U I think 650 is the highest I've gotten on freelance, but I was a bit spoiled on that run since it was during golden rotation ;) I definitely only play SR though when I'm confident with the weapons. I just really don't enjoy playing some weapons on SR so I avoid it, especially scoped chargers. But I do LOVE the splat charger on SR. It's just a hit or miss if you're gonna get good team mates who know how to use certain weapons during that rotation.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Yeah post people on freelance don't know this about the flyfish though sadly U_U

Haha, I expect a lot from my teammates during HLM, though seems intimidating at first for the first few runs but at higher rank, I'd rather have that than the hit and miss, if you're gonna get good teammates run. This current weapon rotation, unfortunately, has the worst HLM when it is/during hightide. It actually gets triggered if the team has a total of 2400 points (rank total) or the team has a combined average of 600. Ah, Grizzco weapons. I like getting the Slosher weapon, though ink hungry, it feels satisfying to destroy everybody :p Also Marooners Bay. It's hard to meet the quota when people are killing everything down and no, I don't trust elevators. Scope is good. It helps you ignore the incoming chum or small fry and just go aim/shoot the boss instead then swim away. Oh yeah, Splat charger/Splatterscope is a top tier SR weapon to me and this is coming from someone who generally suck at chargers on Turf/Rank. Can't live without them on SR (or Heavy Splatling, in exchange)

Last edited:
Haha, I expect a lot from my teammates during HLM, though seems intimidating at first for the first few runs but at higher rank, I'd rather have that than the hit and miss, if you're gonna get good teammates run. This current weapon rotation, unfortunately, has the worst HLM when it is/during hightide. It actually gets triggered if the team has a total of 2400 points (rank total) or the team has a combined average of 600. Ah, Grizzco weapons. I like getting the Slosher weapon, though ink hungry, it feels satisfying to destroy everybody :p Also Marooners Bay. It's hard to meet the quota when people are killing everything down and no, I don't trust elevators. Scope is good. It helps you ignore the incoming chum or small fry and just go aim/shoot the boss instead then swim away. Oh yeah, Splat charger/Splatterscope is a top tier SR weapon to me.

Any scoped charger just gives me a headache that's why I can't use it lol. Scoping in and out always hurts my eyes U_U Oh yeah the Grizzco slosher is great!! But yeah ink management is tough. I always get worried when it's on random rotation and one wave like 3 people have the slosher at a time XD

Okay, so 3 of my most favorite weapons in SR are available in the shift today (Ruins of Ark Polaris): Dapple, Splat and the basic Brella then the Hydra. Haha scary.

So yeah, I tried going for it. In Freelance, as usual. Luckily, going from 400 to 600 was mostly a breeze though I had a couple of losses here and there. Then once I reached 630, I kind of gotten hit by bad luck. I had several losses accompanied by a couple of wins, so I was just there going back and forth from the current then previous then current rank again. It took me a while to get to 700 (like 2 hours). It was a slog. Then, my lucky break came at 750. I started getting decent to very good teammates and so are those Hazard Level Max shifts). I think I had 8 of them and won 6 of them between Profresh 800 up to 990.

It carried over until I only have to win 1 more game, and that's when the game tried to spite me. Only 1 HLM (which I lost) then a couple of shifts getting paired with the dumbest people. I mean, we were doing well until Wave 2, but for some reason, they kept dying on Wave 3 ugh. I had zero or only 1 death at most in all. Fortunately, I still need to only win 1 game. So here comes the final game and the Salmonid Rush/Glowflies. I was the Hydra. They were unruly at first then I spammed "This way" and stayed in one corner. I was like "Follow me, I'm holding the Hydra. If you just stay close, you will win hehe" So, okay good. They followed and were putting the eggs so I decided to stay in my place to support them killing those chums and Goldie. They got greedy though and unruly again towards the end. Three died. I got on the rail real quick and since the Hydra has godly range, well, I was able to revive them while on there. In the end, we finished the wave and yay, I got another 999! And this is probably the last time I would attempt. It's so stressful and rage-inducing lol... coz of my teammates.

What a journey haha it probably helped that I only died 0.8 or almost 1 time (average) in the whole shift as per my splatoon app record. I really like using the Hydra now, especially if it's accompanied by fast weapons. Better in dealing with small fry/chum/cohock in small bursts than the E-Liter and only needs half charge to kill Steelheads, Eels and most bosses. Also, have I mentioned about the range? :p

25i0xg0.jpg

1kWYtov.jpg

BCgmNoF.jpg

Any scoped charger just gives me a headache that's why I can't use it lol. Scoping in and out always hurts my eyes U_U Oh yeah the Grizzco slosher is great!! But yeah ink management is tough. I always get worried when it's on random rotation and one wave like 3 people have the slosher at a time XD

Haha it's all about preference I guess :p 3-4 Grizzco Sloshers on a high tide. What a wonderful sight. I worry about how I would revive my teammates and vice versa.

Last edited:
I enjoyed this rotation more than I thought actually. Polaris is one of my favourite maps for high tide and one of my least favourite for low/mid tide on freelance so it was a mixed bag but nothing to too terrible. Bloblobolbolboer is great DPS and crowd control from up top!! Really liked all the weapons except for range blaster. Next rotation is going to have a scope which I can't use well so I'm gonna skip it XD

I enjoyed this rotation more than I thought actually. Polaris is one of my favourite maps for high tide and one of my least favourite for low/mid tide on freelance so it was a mixed bag but nothing to too terrible. Bloblobolbolboer is great DPS and crowd control from up top!! Really liked all the weapons except for range blaster. Next rotation is going to have a scope which I can't use well so I'm gonna skip it XD

Tbh, I was really, really skeptical coming into that shift due to it having a no actual shooter weapon (Splattershot, Dualies, Splash/Sploosh or even L-3 nozzlenose) and no charger or splatling to take care of Steelheads. I mean, Clash Blaster being the fastest, ugh, it's weak but okay, decent. Then comes the Bloblobber haha it fits the elevation of Polaris nicely. I was surprised to learn you can kill Stingers from a far on normal tide just standing there on one of the grills in the corner. It's also decent on Steelheads and could kill Eels, Scrappers, Drizzlers faster. The two Blasters can easily take care of Stingers as well. Low tide is quite challenging though the Flingza can OHKO Steelheads in one vertical fling apart from using those specials in a timely manner. The weapon set is still good overall.

Tbh, I was really, really skeptical coming into that shift due to it having a no actual shooter weapon (Splattershot, Dualies, Splash/Sploosh or even L-3 nozzlenose) and no charger or splatling to take care of Steelheads. I mean, Clash Blaster being the fastest, ugh, it's weak but okay, decent. Then comes the Bloblobber haha it fits the elevation of Polaris nicely. I was surprised to learn you can kill Stingers from a far on normal tide just standing there on one of the grills in the corner. It's also decent on Steelheads and could kill Eels, Scrappers, Drizzlers faster. The two Blasters can easily take care of Stingers as well. Low tide is quite challenging though the Flingza can OHKO Steelheads in one vertical fling apart from using those specials in a timely manner. The weapon set is still good overall.

Yeah my experience on that rotation was usually getting into danger zones when no one could effectively kill steelheads. Or if everyone went down to kill a stinger and then all bosses would spawn down there and no one would lure. I personally LOVE flingza on salmon run and getting vertical flings on steelheads is real satisfying. I just realized I wrote above I would be skipping the smokeyard rotation but I ended up seeing you randomly in a lobby XD

Yeah my experience on that rotation was usually getting into danger zones when no one could effectively kill steelheads. Or if everyone went down to kill a stinger and then all bosses would spawn down there and no one would lure. I personally LOVE flingza on salmon run and getting vertical flings on steelheads is real satisfying. I just realized I wrote above I would be skipping the smokeyard rotation but I ended up seeing you randomly in a lobby XD

I can't control when I get paired with randoms who kills bosses on the ground so I just try to get eggs real quick then if a Maw or Steelhead or Scrappers come at me, I ignore them then deal with them at the top if they get there. I hate it when other people try to kill Steelheads from afar during low tide. It's not like, one can kill them with a Clash Blaster quickly without backing down a bit so I just laugh when that person ends up retreating to the basket luring the boss unintentionally haha. Flingza on Steelheads be like "boom!" it's so satisfying. Now, you are getting that "Gonna play Salmon Run every shift no matter what the weapon. It wouldn't hurt to try" bug. It is starting to control you!

Last edited:
This current shift (with the Dynamo Roller, Bamboozler, Splattershot Jr, N-Zap) is quite challenging! Took me a while to get to 600 :p

3LYdh1z.jpg

I'm probably not going to play past that coz yeah, there were a lot of people dying (due to Dynamo?) xD

This current shift (with the Dynamo Roller, Bamboozler, Splattershot Jr, N-Zap) is quite challenging! Took me a while to get to 600 :p

3LYdh1z.jpg

I'm probably not going to play past that coz yeah, there were a lot of people dying (due to Dynamo?) xD

Yeah I can’t with the dynamo. Dare I say I dislike it more than scope? :’D I generally like Lost Outpost with more versatile weapons but it’s hard because the map has almost no elevations. Windows are nice though.

Yeah I can’t with the dynamo. Dare I say I dislike it more than scope? :’D I generally like Lost Outpost with more versatile weapons but it’s hard because the map has almost no elevations. Windows are nice though.

I honestly feel like the Dynamo fits Lost Outpost more than any other stages because the place near the basket is kind of cramped especially on hightide, so it really helps cleaning those pesky chums and Cohocks plus it's usually accompanied by weak long range weapon so it's a decent charger replacement that can OHKO Steelheads.

The goldie-seeking in LO is one of the worst so the Dynamo makes it easier. Though for some reason, I only gotten fewer goldie stages as opposed to when there is no Dynamo on the shift ugh, then Salmonid Rush is also supposedly easier if you just park the roller, right haha. Windows are "traitors" (unreliable) sometimes lol more so when Steel Eels or Scrappers are chasing you. You'll end up getting crushed xD But yeah, I still use them a lot.

Last edited:
I'm back to playing a bit of Salmon Run and I just feel like sharing what happened today (really, really close call lol).

I guess this isn't the 'worst' but it still mildly made me upset - I was playing with some friends once and we had a full lobby together. Near the end of the match, they slowly started falling out of connection because there was a power outage!

So I ended up having to play the last round with a squiffer on my own XD

I forget my special, but it didn't help much.

Back