• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details!

Why have they stripped so much from the game???

They seem to try hard to force you to play the intended way. Not that I mind, but I'm not a huge fan of post-release content updates. It works for games like Splatoon or Arms but here it just feels like they are keeping half the game from us...

So I feel like there has to be major updates planned throughout the year because there is stuff in the game currently that just doesn't make any sense at all. For example, we have docks on our island that are even marked on the map but they are absolutely useless. Not to mention, all exotic fruit but coconut is gone. Island tours.. gone. I really think that it will come in a later update. New leaf was so successful and really made Animal Crossing popular so I don't think any developer would truly get rid of this much on purpose. I genuinely think that the Splatoon team saw a lot of success in updates over time and they thought they could do that with Animal Crossing. Animal Crossing is not the type of game to have more than one game on one console unlike Pokemon, Zelda, etc. Therefore, I think they thought they could expand the lifespan of the game through updating it which honestly as long as though updates eventually happen, I won't be upset.

Edit: Also the game is reported to been selling INCREDIBLY well... so that even boosts chances further of updates.

Last edited:
I feel 98% sure they will either implement the “missing” NPC’s/items/etc in updates or DLC. I just don’t see the Animal Crossing team purposely cutting out iconic features for no reason lol

I feel the same... don’t get me wrong I love the game so far but I can’t help but feel like it’s lacklustre? There’s so many things in the game that just aren’t there, and I feel as though they’ve released almost a half finished game. I’m sure we’ll get things like Brewster through updates but... idk, hopefully after the bunny day event we will get some info. ^-^

But wait, I'm confused about this because Bunny was supposed to be added during the day 1 update, right? Was this info from before that?

Yes, this is from 1.0.0. Not much was changed in 1.1.0 - obviously Bunny Day stuff was added, and some general fixes etc.

https://twitter.com/NWPlayer123/status/1240465342687633408

- - - Post Merge - - -

The direct literally said we will get updates and more NPC’s. That isn’t speculation that’s confirmed.

I was referring to the present, not the future. That said, the Direct said we'll be receiving seasonal events as updates. This basically confirms, well, the characters they showed at that point during the presentation. However, that in no way confirms Harriet, Katrina, Leif and so on, as OP was referring to. While it's possible these characters will get added, they are in no way related to seasonal events, and therefore have not been promised by Nintendo.

I agree with the first commenter who talked about it being so early, and it being a deserted island.
It wouldn't be deserted if it was full of NPCs.

I belive as we progress and as time goes on, the island will further develop, and eventually become much less deserted. And hopefully with the return of many beloved NPCs. This makes sense to me, anyway, and also would make sense with their talk of updates.

I think it's too early to judge. But it's good to be vocal about it, at this point anything can be added into the game with holiday updates. I'm sure the developers focused on the main part of the game and still work on some things alongside with the updates, they very obviously don't want time travelers to spoil too much so I'm sure they're hiding more than holdiays.

It just feels like pocket camp and tbh I didnt even like that game very much, it just feels like is it even worth it to save up so much just to play a game that's just like a mobile phone game ����

In what way is it like Pocket Camp?
It's not even remotely similar.
And there are definitely going to be updates. I think it's quite clear that Nintendo want this game enjoyed over the next few years.
I don't get why people are freaking out so much.

Tbh I do miss Shampoodle. Hopefully Harriet shows up in some degree even if it’s not doing hair. I find the way they included Harvey kind of stupid tbh

Tbh I do miss Shampoodle. Hopefully Harriet shows up in some degree even if it’s not doing hair. I find the way they included Harvey kind of stupid tbh

When has the way they used Harvey ever not been stupid? I can't speak for Pocket Camp, but even New Leaf, he was literally pointless.

Last edited:
I don't get it. It just released. How is anyone able to say if a character is there or not. And if they locked holidays etc behind an update, who is to say they didn't lock other things. As many can see, people are already combing through the files looking for stuff and posting about it. They probably didn't want everything spoiled before they are ready to release the info. They may just do dlc. I mean they got new and old pokemon coming in some dlc for Pokemon Sword and Shield, so maybe that's what they have planned for ACNH.

Isn’t it a bit too early though? We haven’t unlocked that much yet. Well, that maybe just me cause I don’t time travel but, I’m actually enjoying the slow buildup. I’m sure there’s more to come.

Yeah, you do have a point, we will unlock a lot more as we progress through the game.

The game feels fresh with new characters. If they followed the same format as New Leaf, it would feel like more of the same. Now when they add the missing characters back in (if they ever do), it will be a nice surprise.

My concerns go way beyond the absence of NPCs. The signature Animal Crossing vibe, quirkiness, wholesomeness, and personality seemed to have been dulled down quite a bit, and I don't think it's because it's too early on.

I am thinking they put most of their time and resources into the graphics, which by the way, has its own issues. They're stunning for the most part, but in other areas I am scratching my head... saying, really, we wanted it to look like that?

I would say NH needed another 6 months to fully bake, so I think a lot of things were rushed towards the end, and I hope they are put back in with future releases.

I love Animal Crossing, started with WW and GC, so I am super critical of things that shouldn't have changed for the sake of change, or have been left out. NH should be better than NL in every way, not just in graphics and the ability to terraform.

Last edited:
when you guys say dlc, do you mean like for free? or are we gonna have to buy it kind of like botw :(

I don't know if they have any paid DLC planned, but they said in the main Directs that they were planning on releasing frequent, free updates over the first full year of the game being out. I imagine when people say DLC, they are probably referring to those updates that we know are coming.

It hasn’t even been out to the public for a week???? Why are people already making claims?

I think there’s so much more in store but people are so impatient and need to do everything so saying it’s been stripped after it’s been out for a few days isn’t fair IMO. There’s also going to be updates and whatnot.

Last edited:
Honestly, I've been playing Animal Crossing since the Gamecube days and I think this game is a huge improvement. It has so much charm and the villagers have so much life. Nintendo showed us in so many ways that they cared about the small details and that they listen to our opinions with what is already included in the game. The game hasn't even been out long enough to make overarching conclusions. They may use NPCs for special events and holidays. The issue with past games is that events and holidays were the same every time. I think they're trying to breathe life back into the game and make events and holidays dynamic. I could be wrong, but I highly doubt they would include little rain droplets on windows and just forget about the larger parts of the game. I think they just want the game to have longevity. I think we ultimately have to wait and see and to remember that no game is perfect.

Back