• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Why does SD card get corrupted? [3DS]

Rubygame

Bells
Island
Hearthaven
Peach (Fruit)
Yellow Violet
Tasty Cake
Light Blue Balloon
Orange (Fruit)
Green Balloon
Isabelle
Toy Hammer
Yellow Balloon
New Leaf Token
Hi guys, I've been worried about this lately.
First I apologize for my bad English, then, basically I have read a lot of testimonials from people whose SD card got corrupted on both old 3ds and New 3ds. I am not joking when I say that many have experienced this misfortune, and I have come to understand that the SD card can be corrupted entirely or only the save data game can be corrupted. Many have had problems with ACNL save data for example, with a physical game or also a digital, or with Pokémon, ORAS or Sun and Moon games. When, on the other hand, the SD is completely corrupted, this can be caused by a low quality SD card, even if it has happened to many with the Sandisk, one of the best, or due to damage caused by connecting the SD to the computer or more "trivially" to physical damages.
For example I am very worried because a few days ago the USB port of my PC did not recognize my adapter, so I disconnected it without safe removal. Now since last year Windows 10 has set the "quick remove" option by default for external storage devices like USB and hard disk, so there should be no problems because this option allows you to remove the memory unit without safe removal.
When I re-insert the SD card into the PC I get this message: "There Is a Problem with This Drive. Scan the Drive Now and Fix it". This message usually appears when safe removal is not done, but I think some files in the SD may have become corrupted because Windows 10 uses "quick removal" by default. This warning appeared the other two times that I connected the SD to the computer, but I can work on the SD in peace without problems, and when I inserted it into my Nintendo 2DS XL it worked perfectly.
This Nintendo was given to me for Christmas recently because my old 3DS is starting to fail, but the seller was dishonest because he did not specify that the console was modded.
I think that the problem that is detected by the PC in the SD can connect to some game installed as a .cia file, however it is strange because this message started appearing only after disconnecting the adapter without safe removal. (I always do it for safety, but it is no longer needed).
And it is even stranger that the SD works perfectly in the Nintendo.
Honestly I'm afraid to connect it to the PC again, and I don't know how to make a backup, I don't really know about mod and in fact I would like to curse the guy who sold this Nintendo to my cousin.
In fact, what little I know I learned having to inform myself on how to update the console to the latest version of luma to make the new update of Nintendo (for this I had to work with the SD card).

After this immense preamble (sorry really) I wanted to ask you if you can understand why the PC is showing me this message and if I should correct the SD card, although I really don't want to do it since I could lose data and the card works fine.

The problem is that there are so many reasons why an SD card gets corrupted and sometimes they happen really randomly. For this I finally come to the question of the title: have any of you experienced the corruption of your SD? Do you know what could have been caused it? How did you solve it? In general, what can you tell me on the subject and advise me? Because I start to worry too much about a probable future where, one day, I might find myself with an unfortunate error on my Nintendo which warns about SD or save data corruption. Above all it is really unknown how the save data can get corrupted, apart from turning off the console while saving, but hardly anyone does.

Really thanks for reading this far!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the support, maybe one day I will follow the guide but for now I just wish I could play without problems 😣
However it reassures me that the warning comes out to you too, I hope that my SD card survives for a long time!

Back