• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

When do you think we’ll get the next animal crossing game?

I wouldn't mind a new game of spin off game kind of soon if I am honest but I don't know how I feel waiting for them to release a new console.

I like the switch now I don't know what else they could bring out unless they were to go back and make a massive Nintendo ds thing with a huge screen and more modern features.....

gotta say one thing, though: no idea what exactly the next game in the series is gonna be, but know for a FACT that there's gonna be proper airchecks of the WW theme (which I'm looking forward to hearing in "cheap keyboard" form immensely), the doo-wop style one and, very importantly, the city pop track that got an arrangement on the K.K. vinyl released back in November:

Def like two years from now. I've played almost all the Animal Crossing games I could get my hands on and it seems between 5 and 7 years is the creation flow.

Now that I think about it maybe the next Animal Crossing game could be mainline game. I remember New Leaf was released in 2012 on the 3DS and then Happy Home Designer came out in 2015 (3 years after New Leaf came out) and then a year later in 2016 thats when New Leaf got the Welcome Amiibo update.

With New Horizions its interesting because the 2.0 update came out in November 2021 which was the same time that Happy Home Paradise was added but instead of it being a seperate game like Happy Home Designer it was part of New Horizions as a DLC so you had to buy it as an expansion in order to play it. Now since that is already done and over with it and Nintendo saying how they have "no plans" for any updates or expansions to New Horizons I would assume they are already working on the next mainline Animal Crossing game.

Now it would be surprising if a new Animal Crossing were to release on the Switch seeing as how another game The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom just came out which was 6 years after Breath of the Wild was released. So that was a surprise to me. I know thats off topic but it relates to the possiblity of another Animal Crossing mainline game coming to the switch. Nintendo is a weird company but only time will tell.

Last edited:
I want it to take as long as possible so it won't be a rushed mess like NH. Honestly, I want them to take their time this time around. I'm sure it'll be on the next Nintendo console/handheld which I'll be suckered into buying to play it lol.

I want it to take as long as possible so it won't be a rushed mess like NH. Honestly, I want them to take their time this time around. I'm sure it'll be on the next Nintendo console/handheld which I'll be suckered into buying to play it lol.
Funny you say that, because new horizons certainly released in a rushed state despite having the longest time between games by far (7+ years). But I feel like it won’t be such a huge leap with the next game, so hopefully it won’t be as long.

Funny you say that, because new horizons certainly released in a rushed state despite having the longest time between games by far (7+ years). But I feel like it won’t be such a huge leap with the next game, so hopefully it won’t be as long.
Yep, exactly why I was so butthurt with the game being the way it was. It was like they were sitting on their butt all those years doing nothing. Clearly though, they were busy with another project and this game definitely got put on the backburner.

I hope we get the next Animal Crossing as fast as possible when the new Nintendo console comes out. New Horizons was such a waste, 7 years for a game like that?? Oooggh. Let’s hope the next one is better.

While I’m pretty sure Nintendo are buying into doing free update style games as a way of getting more games out quicker and avoiding another Wii U debacle, I’m also pretty sure that NH was designed with it in mind rather than it just being a case of “guys, we need to get this out in the first few years of the Switch’s life so it can be an evergreen seller… screw it, it’s a free update game”.

(don’t get me wrong, I think Nintendo themselves want the game to be out in the first few years of a console’s lifespan because it is generally an evergreen seller and having it out later in a console’s lifespan would cause it to perform worse than it could do… I just generally think “if this game was designed to get people who’ve only played Pocket Camp on board, it’s going to be structured a lot like a mobile game, and that includes updates” alongside stuff the devs said in interviews like “creating unity between players” and “wanting people to discover new things 2 or 3 years into play”)

It’s telling that the vast majority of games that use free updates are sports games, as they’re games that you’re going to keep playing on and off for a long while, rather than something more story-led and completion-orientated like Mario and Zelda… and it means there’s always something new happening with the game, which drives engagement and sales.

But they do need to get better at doing them. I’ve seen some data mined stuff for Splatoon 3’s latest update and it’s fixing issues that probably shouldn’t have been there for 9 months, like Deep Cut having dialogue about individual stages. Especially the Mario sports games, which seem to be developed by a very small team still. At least they’re not Square Enix, who will do this for literally anything then shut the servers down for the game after a couple of years and make the game completely unplayable… but it still needs to improve. Nintendo’s small games are great. Nintendo’s BIIIG games are great. But the games in the middle like these free update games? Still need work, tbh.

Hopefully this time around, given there’s nearly 2000 items of furniture already in existence and there’s hopefully not going to be an ongoing viral pandemic affecting further development, and to the director of NL/NH thoroughly getting the message that maybe making a game with less content to appeal to newcomers was probably a bad idea… we’re probably in for something more substantial next time around.
Yep, exactly why I was so butthurt with the game being the way it was. It was like they were sitting on their butt all those years doing nothing. Clearly though, they were busy with another project and this game definitely got put on the backburner.
The “core” AC staff (ie. the AC project leads/regulars that mainly work on everything AC-related) worked on Happy Home Designer, Amiibo Festival, Welcome Amiibo and supervising the development of Pocket Camp for about 5 of those 7 years, and gather other members of staff from the pool of devs at Nintendo who move between projects whenever needed (in addition to members of other related companies like ndCube, Monolith Soft, SRD or one of the external modelling companies who worked on the past few games)

I remember hearing that Monolith helped with New Horizon as well. So two different companies which are known for Splatoon and Xenoblade/Botw were aiding in this game. Totk took a long time to come out. They were stretched thin and probably decided to toss NH to the side for Splatoon3 and Totk because those would be thier money-makers. They probably never anticipated for the pandemic to help the sales out so much. Let's face it, if it weren't for that lockdown this game would've been an afterthought.

Nintendo also did research when planning NH and took note of what many of the veteran players were doing. Which was using QR patterns for things they didn't expect like creating full-on pathways. So that very small portion of the fanbase ended up paving the way for how NH would turn into wholly a design sim.

They definitely could've had both worlds, but I guess they just didn't care, thought the playerbase play-style had shifted, or stretched their team so thin they did what they could. Whether we get more years into development or not, I don't have faith we will see a return to NL and previous entries. They're going to fixate on the sells of this game (partly due to the pandemic) and just decide to make another design sim.

I didn't buy this game because I wanted a design sim. I barely did research tbh. Now with whatever game comes next, you can bet I won't buy it day one.

I remember hearing that Monolith helped with New Horizon as well. So two different companies which are known for Splatoon and Xenoblade/Botw were aiding in this game. Totk took a long time to come out. They were stretched thin and probably decided to toss NH to the side for Splatoon3 and Totk because those would be thier money-makers. They probably never anticipated for the pandemic to help the sales out so much. Let's face it, if it weren't for that lockdown this game would've been an afterthought.

Nintendo also did research when planning NH and took note of what many of the veteran players were doing. Which was using QR patterns for things they didn't expect like creating full-on pathways. So that very small portion of the fanbase ended up paving the way for how NH would turn into wholly a design sim.

They definitely could've had both worlds, but I guess they just didn't care, thought the playerbase play-style had shifted, or stretched their team so thin they did what they could. Whether we get more years into development or not, I don't have faith we will see a return to NL and previous entries. They're going to fixate on the sells of this game (partly due to the pandemic) and just decide to make another design sim.

I didn't buy this game because I wanted a design sim. I barely did research tbh. Now with whatever game comes next, you can bet I won't buy it day one.
I'm 100% with you on that, especially since it probably will be on the new console/handheld and that's a lot of money to hand over. If they do take the more design route, I hope they make it easier and less tedious to design. At least give us that lol.

Also I hope they actually finish the game before releasing it. That was infuriating to sit through.

Definitely gonna do research before buying. But I've learned that with modern gaming. Can't trust anything anymore.

• Monolith Soft is two different teams based in two different cities. The team in Tokyo is a team of around 230 that develops Xenoblade and has also worked as a support team on the past couple of big Zelda games, the team in Kyoto is a much smaller team (around 30), mainly concept artists and graphical creation who work on Animal Crossing, Splatoon and Pikmin
  • I don't think Animal Crossing is seen as unimportant or lesser at Nintendo compared to Zelda or Splatoon. tbh I think it's seen as one of the main cornerstones of modern-day Nintendo given even before NH's release it was selling 11-13 million, which is Top 10 territory. Even at its worst-selling it's selling 2-4 million, which is more than some Nintendo games can dream of. Go to Nintendo Tokyo and what do you see? Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing and Splatoon. The character section on Nintendo's Japanese website? Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Kirby, Fire Emblem. NH's announcement was a "just one more thing" in a Nintendo Direct, which is the kind of thing reserved for the Big Hitters
  • you're right in that the concept for NH is partially based around noticing players were doing things like making paths and resetting for layout and people moaning that X villager they'd paid actual money for moved out because they dared not play the game for a month, but it's also a result of thinking "NL was generally aimed towards existing fans of AC and it could seem difficult for newcomers to grasp" and wanting to grow the amount of people who played AC, either complete newcomers or people who've only played Pocket Camp. I don't think its success was a fluke, I think it was designed to be successful even before the pandemic occurred.
  • I do think AC has moved more in a design-based direction largely because it offers more opportunities for interpersonal communication and asymmetrical multiplayer, which is generally what the series is designed to do (it's always been referred to as a "communication game" by its developers rather than a life sim)
  • the Animal Crossing team is generally known for taking on feedback, both from whoever's working on it at the time and its audience. WW didn't have any IRL holidays? They're back in LGTTC. LGTTC's too similar to the other two games in the series? Rethink it entirely. Blathers not blathering in NL? He's doing it again in NH. I think the sheer battering they've received over NH kind of implies that they're going to try and work out what went wrong exactly with NH, otherwise it'd be commercial suicide for them when the next game comes along.
  • tbh this could go horribly wrong, because a weirdly high percentage of criticism of NH has been "why is the game doing this thing that's ultimately immersive but inconvenient?!!!" and if they act on it it's inevitably going to make Animal Crossing much, much worse, in the same way making it so you've got a cabinet full of infinite saplings and tools takes away the need for a shop upgrade or adding a dressing room to the Able Sisters makes it so you're not interacting with the actual shop to buy things

In my opinion, New Horizons was a disasterous flop. It was good in a lot of ways, but was also bad in a lot of ways. And unless you like to decorate - the game really has no substance to it. As much as I don't like a long wait I'm hoping that it will be 7+ years till the next one like the difference between New Horizons and New Leaf. A lot more consideration and care needs to be put into Animal Crossing to pull it out of decoration simulator mistake again and back to a life sim. I don't understand why people feel like there isn't a game that can satisfy both when New Leaf was great for both aspects ( yeah the dialogue wasn't the best but compared to now it's like gold )

( yeah the dialogue wasn't the best but compared to now it's like gold )
Are people still so mad about NH that they’re even saying NL’s dialogue, which is easily the worst dialogue in the series and was complained about constantly for 7 years, is better? I don’t get it. In what way is it actually better than NH’s?

New Horizons dialogue is absolutely the worst in the series. New Leaf’s wasn’t fantastic either but that game has so many strengths that hold it up as an overall package that I don’t mind the dialogue being weaker in it. New Horizons does not have that luxury.

Are people still so mad about NH that they’re even saying NL’s dialogue, which is easily the worst dialogue in the series and was complained about constantly for 7 years, is better? I don’t get it. In what way is it actually better than NH’s?

I've been playing New Leaf alongside New Horizons and I'm actually shocked at how horrible New Horizons is ( and how you could even say New Horizons is better at all?? ). For what it's worth, I'm not mad about New Horizons at all, I think it's a good game, a great game for what it is - decorating. But not for life sims

At least in New Leaf my villagers don't repeat the same dialogue nearly as much as in New Horizons. And they give me actual substance too, instead of the same dialogue that's clearly made to be screenshot and shared on social media as opossed to having meaning... I don't know if you meant that as a genuine question but I'm more than happy to compile the reasons I personally feel that the dialogue and villagers in New Leaf are better than New Horizons

I've been playing New Leaf alongside New Horizons and I'm actually shocked at how horrible New Horizons is ( and how you could even say New Horizons is better at all?? ). For what it's worth, I'm not mad about New Horizons at all, I think it's a good game, a great game for what it is - decorating. But not for life sims

At least in New Leaf my villagers don't repeat the same dialogue nearly as much as in New Horizons. And they give me actual substance too, instead of the same dialogue that's clearly made to be screenshot and shared on social media as opossed to having meaning... I don't know if you meant that as a genuine question but I'm more than happy to compile the reasons I personally feel that the dialogue and villagers in New Leaf are better than New Horizons
You finally put my thoughts into words about NH's dialogue. It definitely feels too much like social media, which I guess they went with to target teens but to me, it feels so campy and fake. they got that right about social media at least. Thing is, to me, Animal Crossing is its own world. I've always enjoyed escaping into its world and the way things work there so to have real life things added just ruins the experience.

tbf I was genuinely curious as to the reasons why, because after a decade of “NL dialogue bad” I’m interested to see why people think it’s good, because for the most part it’s never really felt quite natural enough for me, like the localisation process consisted largely of putting the game through Google Translate and adjusting it so it didn’t sound too off. On occasion there’s something more overtly quirky or profound in it but for the most part it’s just fairly uninteresting to me.

I also think having the complaint that “this dialogue was designed to be shared on social media” kinda misses the point that you’re meant to share things about the game with other people, and always have done. After all, Animal Crossing was originally designed to be a game families could share on one console by playing at different times, so there’s lots of interesting things you can talk about with other people like rare fish and bugs, cool furniture or a villager saying something weird or funny, because the goal of Animal Crossing is ultimately being a communication tool rather than being something you go to as a substitute for IRL communication.

But yeah, please compile the reasons you personally like the dialogue more. Convince me!

NL was not carried by the villager dialogue and neither was NH. With NL I felt like there was much more to do in a diverse way as opposed to NH where everything was mostly hinged on decorating. So the dialogue was way more apparent with a game like NH because when you're done decorating (especially when we were waiting forever for real updates) the villager's and their interactions just could not carry what was cut because of decorating.

As a whole NH felt way more superficial to me because it was about making everything look pretty. Take those skyscraper buildings people created with the use of the simple panels? It's photogenic. It's only supposed to be viewed at one source. People worked so hard to give it that illusion, which falls apart upon closer inspection.

The same can be said about the villagers. Heck they even cut things like hide and seek and replaced it with a treasure hunt. But aside from talking to them to start the game and talking to them to end it, there's not any interaction. It feels like they could've just excluded a villager initiating this minigame and just had it be done via the message board. You know, like it originally was in the original AC.

The same can't be said about the hide and seek game. You can't really initiate and do this sort of game without hiders and seekers. And this is just one instance of how the villager's felt more like they were alive. If I sat next to a villager who had high friendship in NL they'd have a grin from ear to ear. But here in NH it just doesn't matter. They act like you don't exist if you sit with them.

If I used the megaphone to call out one of them they'd respond accordingly with their friendship status. Low-they look around confused because mid- they give a slight wave high-they wave gleefully with a ping.

For a game that's about aesthetics, they really missed the mark on making the villager's feel alive.

Back