• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

What's the last movie you've seen?

I'm in the midst of my annual October horror movie marathon and decided, since I had only ever bothered to watch the original movie in the Friday the 13th franchise years ago, that I ought to watch a few more of them just to be able to say that I did. I rewatched the original Friday the 13th a few days ago, then watched Friday the 13th Part II that same day. Then I watched Friday the 13th Part III: 3-D and Friday the 13th The Final Chapter last night. It's definitely the worst of the major 80s horror franchises as far as I'm concerned since Jason being an adult in Part II (and not yet a zombie since he doesn't die until The Final Chapter and is revived in a later movie) makes the whole thing about Mrs. Voorhees wanting revenge for his "drowning" in the original make absolutely no sense. Despite that, they're entertaining enough. The Final Chapter seems to be one of the more highly regarded of the Friday the 13th series but I feel like I actually got more into Part III: 3D. I don't know whether I'll continue to watch more of the series. Maybe.

Do you know this one? Trick 'r Treat from 2007. I can recommend it as Halloween movie.

I can also vouch for Trick 'r Treat. Love that movie.

Last edited:
Thought it was a lazy attempt of a cash-in. I was really excited for it, and then realised while I saw the very first scene of the movie: Wait, nuns aren't scary, why did I come here? I was fooled by the marketing and myself. Funnily I saw another "spooky" nun movie the next week (already had the ticket), and it was somewhat better, yet not great. It was more realistic about a small order that took advantage of pregnant girls who sought rest/guidance. The name is St. Agatha.

I guess it depends on your expectations and what you look for in a horror film. I don't watch horror to be scared and tend to favour media that blends the supernatural with religion.

Aquaman at a Warner Brothers Partner screening.

It wasn't complete but it was shaken.

love, simon! i've seen it a few times but it was playing for free at the student union on campus so i had to go see it on the big screen ;)

I guess it depends on your expectations and what you look for in a horror film. I don't watch horror to be scared and tend to favour media that blends the supernatural with religion.

It has really bad reviews too and I just think it is a bad movie. Also for the just super natural. Horror usually scares. But there are also spooky or supernatural movies. Religion huh? I can't really think of any besides the usual exorcism and so on. Rather spiritual, there are many.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm in the midst of my annual October horror movie marathon and decided, since I had only ever bothered to watch the original movie in the Friday the 13th franchise years ago, that I ought to watch a few more of them just to be able to say that I did. I rewatched the original Friday the 13th a few days ago, then watched Friday the 13th Part II that same day. Then I watched Friday the 13th Part III: 3-D and Friday the 13th The Final Chapter last night. It's definitely the worst of the major 80s horror franchises as far as I'm concerned since Jason being an adult in Part II (and not yet a zombie since he doesn't die until The Final Chapter and is revived in a later movie) makes the whole thing about Mrs. Voorhees wanting revenge for his "drowning" in the original make absolutely no sense. Despite that, they're entertaining enough. The Final Chapter seems to be one of the more highly regarded of the Friday the 13th series but I feel like I actually got more into Part III: 3D. I don't know whether I'll continue to watch more of the series. Maybe.

I don't think I'd have your Friday the 13th stamina :p

I can also vouch for Trick 'r Treat. Love that movie.

Yay. Do you know: We Go On? Life After Beth? Enemy (with Jake Gyllenhaal) and oh :D Final Girls?

Last edited:
I don't think I'd have your Friday the 13th stamina :p
I wouldn't call it stamina necessarily. They're okay, not anything amazing, not absolutely bottom of the barrel trash (at least up to Part IV: The Final Chapter, my stopping point so far. I hear they really go downhill though.) Serviceable and entertaining enough for what they're going for but definitely one of the weaker franchises (and I don't particularly like the concept of franchises anyway) since they even admit in interviews and commentaries that the first Friday the 13th was just made to rip off and exploit the popularity of John Carepenter's Halloween to earn a quick buck. Neither something I regret wasting time watching nor anything I'm clamoring for more of. Overall just kind of harmless and pointless.

Yay. Do you know: We Go On? Life After Beth? Enemy (with Jake Gyllenhaal) and oh :D Final Girls?
I haven't seen any of those so far. My movie viewing tends to skew more toward past decades. I've seen a few really standout things that came out in the 2010s but my typical viewing usually spans from the 1920s (and sometimes earlier) up to like 2010, though moreso I'd say 30s-80s is more my speed. I'm sure there are good things still out there but I don't really go out of my way to look. I'll have to look into those.

---

To keep to the thread topic, the latest movies I've watched would be Rabid by David Cronenberg and the original 1973 version of The Wicker Man by Robin Hardy.

I found Rabid to be pretty underwhelming by David Cronenberg standards. I much prefer his other work like his remake of The Fly, Videodrome, The Brood, Scanners, and Dead Ringers. Not altogether surprising since Rabid predated all of the others listed, but it is what it is.

As for the original 1973 version of The Wicker Man, I had previously seen it years ago when I was a young teenager so I knew what to expect. I mostly just wanted to see it again to refresh my memory and because I remembered liking it. I still like it, though they sure do get some mileage out of that one song. Far better movie than the Nicholas Cage remake, though I don't hate that one since it has its moments. Glad I revisited it.

Last edited:
The movie I've most recently watched was In the Mouth of Madness by John Carpenter. I found it to be fairly entertaining.

I watched The Belko Experiment the other day. It was interesting enough. Mainly watched it due to it having one of my favorite actors in John C. McGinley

I typically don't watch superhero movies since I've never really been into reading comics and have no real attachment to the characters and because I don't tend to go to the theater unless it's something I really want to see. I usually wait until stuff is on DVD or streaming before watching recent stuff.

All that said, I finally got around to watching Black Panther since it was highly regarded among the social circles I run in and since it seemed generally highly rated in reviews. I enjoyed it a great deal.

Howl's Moving Castle! I haven't watched it since I was a little kid and it was even better than how I remembered it. It's an absolute masterpiece and the musical score gives me chills! I love Studio Ghibli movies, they're so warm and comforting. There's nothing like watching My Neighbor Totoro on a warm summer night.

Saw the new Halloween a bit earlier. My goodness what a fun film. Best sequel to the series. It's not as great as the original, but it's a strong movie nonetheless. Absolutely recommend it.

Back