• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details!

What do you do after finding all the fossils?

I bury 6 fossils behind a cliff out of sigh. This stops new ones from spawning each day

I sell all of the fossils that I’ve already found and donated. Sometimes two or three fossils will net you 3000 or more when sold together.

Though the fossil section of my museum has been completed for years now, I continue to dig up the fossils when I play. I do this for a couple reasons.

Firstly, I created the maximum 8 player characters you can have in New Horizons (because it made the island more lively, tied into my island's theme, allowed for more creativity and inventory space, etc.) and one of the player characters I made is, in my headcanon, a professor and I want her to earn the Nook Miles achievements and associated titles that come from getting the fossils assessed.

Secondly, though, it's another revenue stream that requires very little effort to earn. The money you get from fossils on a daily basis is fairly negligible but it adds up over time, and hey, money's money.

I wish Cyrus could still take full fossil sets and make them into miniatures like he could in New Leaf, I would totally use some as display pieces.

I still sell them. Money is money after all. I don’t remember if July is a rainy season as well; but it was fun making a game out of digging during a rainy day. Will it be a gyroid that I buried a while ago, a new one, or a fossil?

I still sell them. Money is money after all. I don’t remember if July is a rainy season as well; but it was fun making a game out of digging during a rainy day. Will it be a gyroid that I buried a while ago, a new one, or a fossil?
Gyroid?

Ohh thats what you do with them xD opps.

My friend gave me some, I had no idea what to do with them so I just got rid of them. Whoopsie

Ohh thats what you do with them xD opps.

My friend gave me some, I had no idea what to do with them so I just got rid of them. Whoopsie
Gyroid fragments also show up on the islands that Kapp'n takes you. It's just 1 piece at a time though. Just like on your island, they will be buried. Although it's a bit annoying because sometimes they will be buried behind a bush.

If you don't want to wait for a rainy day to make them grow, then you can just use the watering can.

I actually had no idea that you could give fossils to villagers lol. I thought even assessed they were none giftable, cool. Or they wouldn't like them

Im gonna try that with burrying six fossils. My routine is usually just digging and tossing them. Its not a huge deal with the holes, but Im still gonna try out burying six fossils
Why do you throw them out versus selling? they sell for a decent amount don’t they? I am at the stage where I have only a few skeletons to be completed so 90% of what I have assessed the museum already has. It does get a little annoying at times, but I just go sell them.

Why do you throw them out versus selling? they sell for a decent amount don’t they? I am at the stage where I have only a few skeletons to be completed so 90% of what I have assessed the museum already has. It does get a little annoying at times, but I just go sell them.
I dont know, I just don't need them. So I always tossed them. I didnt think you could sell or give them away lol

Though I gave one to Marshal and he just sounded like he was humoring me when he took it lol.

I dont know, I just don't need them. So I always tossed them. I didnt think you could sell or give them away lol

Though I gave one to Marshal and he just sounded like he was humoring me when he took it lol.
I just sold a left ptera wing and I got $4,500 bells. I know some don’t sell for that much but most sell for somewhere in the 2-3,000 bell range so I figure its worth it to sell them.

I sell them (identified) for bells and continue to dig them up as chores for habit. But I also keep some for crafting/decoration. Sometimes having a completed fossil set in display out on the island can be a fun decoration:)

The fossils are the only section of the Museum I've actually completed! Other than keeping a few, like the ammonite, I will sell the rest. 😊

I have everything now and all the models that I wanted. So, in order for them to NOT repawn, I dug them all up and hid them behind at the back of the island. That way, if a villager wants to play "find the buried treasure" I know that any X I see is the buried item they want me to find

For a while after I completed my fossil collection I would continue to dig up the fossils, sometimes to sell, sometimes to give to my friends to help them complete their collections. Then I decided it was too much effort and just buried them all behind my museum. Out of sight, out of mind.

I'll keep a certain few to decorate my island or home with! Otherwise I sell whatever I get

Back