• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

What are some of your favorite quotes?

"Let's deescalate and try to understand each other."

Someone said that on Twitter and I now think of it when I start to get argumentative.

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time to plant a tree is right now - Chinese Proverb
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire
People may forget what you say, they may forget what you do, but they will never never forget how you made them feel - Maya Angelou
A bore is someone who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company - Oscar Wilde
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always. - Robin Williams
If you think you're too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a room with a mosquito. - Dalai Lama
If you can't afford to buy something twice, you can't afford it. - Jay Z
The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett

"It takes a long time to realize how truly miserable you are, and even longer to see that it doesn't have to be that way. Only after you give up everything, can you begin to find a way to be happy." -Cuddly Whiskers, Bojack Horseman

"When you look at someone through rose colored glasses, all the red flags, just look like flags." -Wanda Pierce

“I don't think that you have any insight whatsoever into your capacity for good until you have some well-developed insight into your capacity for evil.” -Jordan B. Peterson

“You're going to pay a price for every bloody thing you do and everything you don't do. You don't get to choose to not pay a price. You get to choose which poison you're going to take. That's it.” -Jordan B. Peterson

“If you don't say what you think then you kill your unborn self.” -Jordan B. Peterson

“Respect for others guides our manners. Respect for ourselves guides our morals.”

”The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”

"If you feel yourself hitting up against your limit remember for what cause you clench your fists... remember why you started down this path, and let that memory carry you beyond your limit."

Tony Montana quotes from Scarface: The World Is Yours (The PS2 game) which make me laugh:

"Is this it? Is this what it's all about? Killing, driving, dealing, swearing? Then what? You're fifty. You got a bag for a belly. You got ****, you need a bra; they got hair on 'em. You got a liver, it's got spots on it, and you're looking like these rich ******* mummies."

"Get out of the ******* street!" (He occasionally says this when you run over a pedestrian).

A few favorites:

"If someone shows you their true colors, don't try to repaint them" - unknown

"Respect yourself enough to say "I deserve peace" and walk away from people or things that prevent you from attaining it" - Jerico Silvers

"Fools take a knife and stab people in the back. The wise take a knife, cut the cord, and free themselves from the fools" - Unknown

"We can complain that rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses" - Abraham Lincoln

"When you force yourself to admit to all the things you have accomplished, you'll realize that it's wrong to be so hard on yourself for all the things you haven't." - Rachel Hollis

“Because friends are the ones who boost each other up!” —Asta from Black Clover

“I've become a great spear! There's one reason for your defeat. You guys underestimated– You guys, and I as well. Underestimated the hero named Red Riot and his chivalrous spirit!” —Fat Gum from My Hero Academia

I could list thousands and I'm not even kidding. But here's one that comes to mind. It comes from a book called 'The Treasure Chest', and was published in 1965.

"A successful teacher needs:

The education of a college president,
The executive ability of a financier,
The humility of a deacon,
The adaptability of a chameleon,
The hope of an optimist,
The courage of a hero,
The wisdom of a serpent,
The gentleness of a dove,
The patience of Job,
The grace of God, and
The persistence of the devil."

Here are a couple of mine:

"Religion is for people who are afraid to go to hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there."

"God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts!"

"That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die."

Okay I'm not sure that last one really counts or not but I figured I'd mention it anyways as I love Lovecraft!

"Code compiled successfully" - Visual Studio 2019

How did it get so late so soon?
It’s night before it’s afternoon.
December is here before it’s June.
My goodness how the time has flewn.
How did it get so late so soon?
-Dr Seuss

“if you want happiness for an hour — take a nap. if you want happiness for a day — go fishing. if you want happiness for a year — inherit a fortune. if you want happiness for a lifetime — help someone else.” - chinese proverb

"We all have a choice. We can either be part of the problem, or part of the solution." -Scatman John
"You live a new life for every new language you speak. If you know only one language, you live only once." -translated Czech proverb
"People grow up too fast." -Walt Disney? I swear I saw this on a Disney shirt
"Lo tuyo es mío, y lo mío mío." -Juan Carlos Bodoque

The one currently in my signature, it really hit a nerve with me when it was spoken in WandaVision.

Last edited:
It's originally german, so I will translate it as close to original as possible into english:

"There will always be somewhere a little lost dog, that will keep me from being truely happy."

I know, it's not inspirational or happy, but that's my favorite quote, because it's true.
Of course, I will be happy, but knowing that there are so many lost and unloved animals out there
will always break my heart when thinking about it..

“I might not understand your grief. Your rage. Everything that led you here... but I know all about solid bonds!! And my friends don't use each other... because friends don't eat friends.” -Amajiki from My Hero Academia

"I smile to show the pressure of heroes and to trick the fear inside of me." -All Might from My Hero Academia

“Listen, the ones who don’t think about the future are the ones who aren’t sane. People like that... are incredibly strong.” -Unnamed Yakuza grunt from My Hero Academia

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time to plant a tree is right now - Chinese Proverb
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire
People may forget what you say, they may forget what you do, but they will never never forget how you made them feel - Maya Angelou
A bore is someone who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company - Oscar Wilde
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always. - Robin Williams
If you think you're too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a room with a mosquito. - Dalai Lama
If you can't afford to buy something twice, you can't afford it. - Jay Z
The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett
That Maya Angelou quote was what I wanted to submit; I try to live by the "be kind at all times" philosophy, but sometimes I forget myself.

Back