• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details!

Villagers asking to leave frequency

Mairen

Enchanting Dreamer
Bells
Cake
Pear (Fruit)
Hi hi~! I have a question regarding villagers moving out. If a villager asks me to move and it's not someone who I want leaving, and I tell them no, when will another villager ask me? Possibly the very next day? Or will I have to wait another 15(estimated) days? I've been seeing all kinds of crazy threads about people resetting, or time travelling to get the 'right' villager to ask you to move. So I'm scared it's not something as simple as telling someone no, and then waiting until the next day, hoping someone different will ask.

if you say no, it will take another 15 days. It's better to ignore the person in think bubbles if its not the villager you want so that the next day the game will choose another villager.

I've heard this thing about 15 days, but that is NOT my experience at all. I have turned down my villagers at least 5-6 times, and they only starting asking about it a few weeks ago. I have a feeling the 15 day limit has to do with villagers actually leaving, not asking, but that's just my personal speculation.

yikes! I'm glad to know that if a villager has a thought bubble who I do not want moving, it's best for me to ignore them! It could potentially take a year or more otherwise to move the 1/10 villager I wanted gone, if my luck was awful enough (and it usually is)

Ok so I cycled my villigers a lot so I can offer some experience! First thing first, if one villager has bubble to move out, it doesn't matter if you close before saving, that villager will still want to move out regardless of how many times you reload! If you tell him no, after 10 days or so, you have a change of another one asking to move. If you ignore his bubble and don't talk to him at all, tomorrow he will still be in town and no bubble! he no longer wants to leave! In my experience, it took 3-4 days after that for another villager to want to move out!

Ok so I cycled my villigers a lot so I can offer some experience! First thing first, if one villager has bubble to move out, it doesn't matter if you close before saving, that villager will still want to move out regardless of how many times you reload! If you tell him no, after 10 days or so, you have a change of another one asking to move. If you ignore his bubble and don't talk to him at all, tomorrow he will still be in town and no bubble! he no longer wants to leave! In my experience, it took 3-4 days after that for another villager to want to move out!

If I understand correctly, I can shut down the game as soon as I see he wants to leave and the just ignore him for the whole day. That way another villager should be asking to move in 3-4 day, right?

If I understand correctly, I can shut down the game as soon as I see he wants to leave and the just ignore him for the whole day. That way another villager should be asking to move in 3-4 day, right?

exactly! make sure you don't finish the dialogue with him moving! you will know you did it correctly when you restart the game and you see him back with the bubble. he will always have that bubble again!

exactly! make sure you don't finish the dialogue with him moving! you will know you did it correctly when you restart the game and you see him back with the bubble. he will always have that bubble again!
Ok, thank you!!

Ed asked to move, I denied him, and 7 days later Egbert asked to move instead. Even if tell a villager no, someone else can ask as soon as a week from what my experience says.

Ugh! I'm jealous of y'all! I'm trying to get rid of half my villagers atm. But only one's asked to move and I did the dumb maneuver where you accidentally say "no don't go" ughhh

It has DEFINITELY been more frequent for me than every 15 days. I have had four villagers attempt to leave so far (You just got here! You can't leave yet!). I have been playing since March 20 with no time traveling, and there doesn't really seem to be any rhyme or reason to which villagers ask to move. Some I talked to all the time, some less frequently, so I'm also not buying into any of the theories about having to ignore villagers to get them to leave. All of them did have the thought bubbles, though, so it doesn't seem like they'll just randomly leave.

Edit: I typed March 27 instead of March 20. Already forgot when the game came out. I'm getting old haha.

Last edited:
What are you all doing with your islands that people are actually asking to leave? It's been over two weeks since one of mine asked to leave. I'm ready to see some new faces, game, come on.

I've had three different villagers ask to move out over the past week. I said yes to Olaf today, he looks so grumpy all the time. I had a guy at the camping site, and asked him to move in, but he said he wanted Pippie to move out! No, just move into Olaf's plot, you moron. :p

What are you all doing with your islands that people are actually asking to leave? It's been over two weeks since one of mine asked to leave. I'm ready to see some new faces, game, come on.
I've really just been playing normally (well, maybe a little more excessively than normal if we're being honest haha). I think in New Leaf, villagers would ping you and run up to you when they wanted to move. They do that when teaching you reactions or giving you stuff in New Horizons, but when they're trying to leave, they just walk around with little thinking bubbles and you need to approach them to see what's up. Sometimes they just want to sell you stuff or give you a gift, and sometimes it's because they're thinking about moving. Basically just check up on your villagers regularly rather than waiting for them to come to you this time around.

Oh man, I'm jealous of everyone who has villagers ask to move frequently! Mine only ask ever 2-2.5 weeks. I need to start doing the thought bubble/quitting thing so I can get different villagers ask to move more frequently.

I've really just been playing normally (well, maybe a little more excessively than normal if we're being honest haha). I think in New Leaf, villagers would ping you and run up to you when they wanted to move. They do that when teaching you reactions or giving you stuff in New Horizons, but when they're trying to leave, they just walk around with little thinking bubbles and you need to approach them to see what's up. Sometimes they just want to sell you stuff or give you a gift, and sometimes it's because they're thinking about moving. Basically just check up on your villagers regularly rather than waiting for them to come to you this time around.
Oh I know how it works. I just don't get any thought bubbles at all.

Oh I know how it works. I just don't get any thought bubbles at all.
Oh! That is just weird. I can't remember doing anything in particular to get them to pop up, they just do. : ( I'm sorry that wasn't more helpful.

My latest villager asked to move out after at least 2 weeks of moving in before, but I think after at least 2 or more weeks, they will decide if they want to move out or not.

Back