• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.

User-Made Euphoria

Bulerias

Co-Founder of TBT
Retired Staff
Bells
(original article source - http://www.hookedgamers.com/editorials/39/Usermade_Euphoria)

Gamers are no longer content with what the designers offer; they desire more... a new trend in the gaming world is to offer "level creators" in games, as seen in titles like Half-Life 2 and Halo 3. Power to the players!

One of the first DS/modern games to expand on user-designed levels was Advance Wars: Dual Strike. Featuring a relatively deep level maker powered by the intuitive touch screen/stylus combo, it was the natural first step for user-designed content in games. Granted, you could only do so much with it; users wanted more.

How about Half-Life 2, then? I'm not too educated in the subject, but I've heard Gary's Mod can make for some incredible gaming experiences; Metroid mods, tennis matches, importing images and self-made code... the possibilities are practically endless. Halo 3's Forge Mode can do even more -- fact is, though, the "user-made euphoria" is just beginning.

The PC scene is already overflowing with overzealous indie developers, and Microsoft's Xbox 360 is catching on. Sony's still trying to get there, as is Nintendo. The undeniable truth -- user-designed levels/games will be integral parts of the gaming experience in the next few years. Nintendo's upcoming Advance Wars: Days of Ruin features an even more robust level editor than its predescessor, and it also features the ability to send levels to friends via Wi-Fi.

The next stop in user-made content? Services like Xbox Live Arcade and WiiWare. Live Arcade already features some games from indie developers, such as Eets: Chowdown and Boom Boom Rocket. WiiWare hasn't launched yet, but with an imminent "Spring 2008" launch worldwide, everything's only starting for Nintendo (Sony's staying awfully quiet for now)... what's obvious is that all three companies (...except Sony) are trying to satisfy gamers by making them pseudo-game developers. And what could be better than that?!

What does the future hold? If you ask me, casuals aren't versed well enough in gaming mechanics, so, consequently, the main users of (in-depth) level designers will be hardcore gamers... and perhaps people like artists, programmers, interior decorators, etc.

I predict that, come 2009, the indie/homebrew scene will see tremendous growth, thanks to games that support custom mods, level creators, etc. By then, such features will be common in games like FPS, racing, MMORPG, etc... afterwards, player-created content will move to unprecedented territory; imagine creating your own 2D sidescroller... or how about your own simulation game?

Users who know nil about programming languages won't be left out of the dust, and technophiles will feel right at home with custom code implementation and expanded features. Truly a "user-made euphoria", don't you think?

I love Advance Wars map editor. I enjoy making my own maps from scratch for my games. I think it's pretty cool how gamers will have more control in what they play but it gives me the feeling of laziness in that they want everything made, setup, and there for them. They just want to decide where to put it.

Propaganda Man said:
I love Advance Wars map editor. I enjoy making my own maps from scratch for my games. I think it's pretty cool how gamers will have more control in what they play but it gives me the feeling of laziness in that they want everything made, setup, and there for them. They just want to decide where to put it.
About the laziness... That's why there are custom code options, where people can code their own features... I believe Garry's Mod has that feature for aspiring programmers.

^_^

Bulerias said:
Propaganda Man said:
About the laziness... That's why there are custom code options, where people can code their own features... I believe Garry's Mod has that feature for aspiring programmers.

^_^
The Half-Life 2 mods are great. They actually need some background in coding, I think. Swinging a creat around and pressing "a" to let it launch isn't really the same.

Propaganda Man said:
Bulerias said:
Propaganda Man said:

^_^
The Half-Life 2 mods are great. They actually need some background in coding, I think. Swinging a creat around and pressing "a" to let it launch isn't really the same.
Yeah, that's why I'm so optimistic about the future of user-made gaming. On one side, we've got people utilizing the custom editors without any background in coding, but on the other side, we have indie programmers essentially using the engine to make their own game.

I just think that's incredibly awesome.

I absolutely love the modding community. The ability to create your own levels and now a days, send them to people just adds completly timeless value to games. I remember as a little kid always creating my own age of empire maps, even if I didn't know how to code them or anything.

Hey all! I'm the newest staff writer here at HookedGamers. Just thought I'd introduce myself here...
Betraying TBT eh?

joking

:p

I loved the map editor feature in Advance Wars, and I can't wait to try Days of Ruin and Smash Bros for their level designing capabilities.

OddCrazyMe said:
I absolutely love the modding community. The ability to create your own levels and now a days, send them to people just adds completly timeless value to games. I remember as a little kid always creating my own age of empire maps, even if I didn't know how to code them or anything.

Hey all! I'm the newest staff writer here at HookedGamers. Just thought I'd introduce myself here...
Betraying TBT eh?

joking

I'm freelance, I can write wherever I want without betraying anyone.

:)

Great article, creating levels and sending them to people along with playing other players created maps is a wonderful addition to many games.

Bulerias said:
OddCrazyMe said:

Betraying TBT eh?

joking

Personally if I were you I would have posted the artcicle on TBT, posted it there as well linking to TBT, but whatever.

OddCrazyMe said:
Bulerias said:
OddCrazyMe said:

Betraying TBT eh?

joking

Personally if I were you I would have posted the artcicle on TBT, posted it there as well ]
Yeah, I'll do that, but in a week or so. I gotta give them first publishing.

OddCrazyMe said:

Betraying TBT eh?

joking

If I could mod Pokemon Gold, I'd never have the need for another game again.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 has some awesome mods. At one point, I had like 30 mods, but I deleted them all. starwarsbattlefront.filefront.com tons of mods. It's just limited to online games mostly. Unless every game becomes online.

Back