Old Games vs New Games

What games do you prefer?

• Total voters
It depends on each game. I have older games that I prefer and newer games that I prefer. Graphically, sometimes even a remake can lose a sweet spot that makes me prefer the older art style.

Highly depends on the game. There's games that suck that are new, but there's games that are old that suck as well and didn't stand the tests of time. To pick between older or newer is just generalizing to be honest.

For me the old/new split is 2010, it’s quite arbitrary, but it’s just how I remember it as I was growing out of primary school then. If I split it the way you did then I would lean even harder into my ultimate answer…

The average was much better 6th-7th gen, but the best games of today are much better than even a lot of the best 6th-7th gen games. The only games in my top 10 that even came out before the 2010’s are Tetris DS and Spyro The Dragon (PS1). Hell probably not even the former as there are just enough good newer games to push it off.
If you asked me which I would pick, new games as I could easily sustain my interest on the best games of today. It’s not like I have time to play every single game that interests me and when I think of it that way, the average means less. It is just hard to ignore how much I disagree with some modern trends though.

5th and earlier very very little holds up. N64 games aged like milk.

Old console hardware was better though, the new ones are so flimsy and installing everything is so slow and annoying, at least file management is much better on PC even though it’s also relegated to installing. The old consoles just let you play games and that’s all they needed to do. No bloat. 3DS hit the perfect point between that and having worthy DLC/updates/OS novelty features but literally no other console has managed that balance. It adds to the experience of playing old games honestly, you never have to worry about how they work. Nowadays every controller seems to break in a few months too.

Last edited:
Before I played "Animal Crossing: New Horizons" I would have said "older games," as I keep updated with the latest Sega Genesis collection on EACH AND EVERY Nintendo system. NOW I prefer new games as I enter my 1,000th+++ day IN A ROW of playing New Horizons!!!

I started playing roughly a month and a half after launch due to my adoration of "Disgaea 5" and have not missed a day!

i think a lot of older games are viewed through the lens of nostalgia 😅 don't get me wrong i do love a fair amount of old games but if u asked me to play it today, i wouldn't. there are janky things like terrible qols, bad camera angles, and just a ton of things that modern games have that u couldn't have back then due to technological limitations.

there's been a trend lately of game studios doing remakes which i think has improved a lot of old classic games like resident evil, persona, final fantasy. so i think that's the best middle ground is remakes of older popular games with improved qols and graphics is what i would choose. my top list of games includes a ton of remakes that i otherwise wouldn't have played.

Back