Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
As I was writing a more finalized version of Winter Island and a few other game ideas, I have to learn from other games of that kind. If you are interested into knowing how to make the perfect game, you can read this blog entry.

If you make a game or ideas for a game, you got to study the criticism of other games of that genre, and understand the gameplay and plot advantages and disadvantages. When you look at the strengths, you should try implementing what they had. You should also look at the downfalls and learn not to repeat that when writing a game idea. Some things are good for gaming in general, some are bad, and some are okay a long time ago, but not today.

Even if you try to make a perfect game, it's not going to be perfect. In fact, no game is perfect. What you want to make is a game that is objectively good. Not that everybody agrees, but something that most people would rate it highly for. Even the greatest of gaming classics aren't perfect. Take Super Mario 64 for example. It may have revolutionized gaming, started a gaming trend, got simple, less gimmicky gameplay, and followed the difficulty curve very well, but it's not flaw-free. There are a couple of problems, but one problem for the time would be that levels did not have unique level locks. If you unlock a new section, you could unlock two to four levels at once rather than unlock only one level at a time. Ocarina of Time. It may have been classified as the best game ever (or at least one of the best games), but the camera control is an issue. The Wind Waker did have better camera controls. Pokemon Red & Blue. People always appreciate the classics no matter what, but the games are very glitchy. Not only that, but those games (SM64, OOT, Pokemon Red and Blue) were great for their time, but today, they don't hold up too well. It's okay to make a new game just for the nostalgia appeal, but if you want to make a great game with the same old gameplay, you got to stick with the times.

I can't give out tips on how to make the perfect RPG, adventure, FPS, or fighting game since I don't have enough experience in these fields, but when it comes to 3D platformers, I am great at giving out tips. I played enough 3D platformers and learned from others' opinions to understand what to put in a 3D platformer and what to avoid. I don't know what to say about racing games though, even if I had enough experience. If you read the tips on 3D platformers, then you could come up with your tips on stuff like FPS and RPGs.

Tips on making a 3D platformer:

There are two kinds of 3D platformers. One is a linear style of gameplay where completing each level unlocks the next. The other is a collect-a-thon, where new worlds are unlocked if you collected enough of the primary collectible. I tend to make my Winter Island game more of a collect-a-thon, as well as the Glow City and Studio Quest ideas.

When you want to make games like that, you should look at the strengths of each of the 3D platformers like Super Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie. Forget about how bad the graphics are or how simple the gameplay is. You want to focus more on the other tips they did. That means no confusing controls, no disappointing moves, and no misplaced difficulty on challenges (like washing dishes on roller skates, cleaning your room in the dark, or cooking without instructions). Make the difficulty reasonable for a challenge, and stay consistent in difficulty, as you fuse the old collecting gameplay from platformers in the late 1990's/early 2000's with the greater graphics and larger worlds with harder, multi-step tasks. You should also focus on the mistakes made by Donkey Kong 64 and avoid repeating what it done wrong.

Here is a handy list on making 3D platformers based on the paragraph:

• As you bring back old gameplay, combine it with the new mechanics, graphics, sounds, and everything else in today's time. If you stick to the latter, you would be within the times as the former gets a spot in today's world like that.
  • Come up with new, unique gameplay, whether or not they are core mechanics. For example, Super Mario Sunshine had the water pump used for cleaning. We don't want overdone ideas like zombie survivals.
  • When it comes to collecting the primary collectibles (such as jiggies and power stars from Banjo-Kazooie and Super Mario 64, respectively), you don't have to have too few, but avoid putting in a lot like how DK64 did. Keep it more like between 50 and 150 for better results.
  • When it comes to collecting anything else, don't go overboard on the collecting objectives. There's also no need to have more than three or four types of major collectibles, especially if they don't have much use.
  • Avoid character-specific collectibles, tasks that require going to the next level to finish the current level, and tasks that require going back and forth multiple times. If you want that, then keep the backtracking limited. It's also better to have "no-switch zones" than "switch zones". One of them implies that you can switch between characters on the go except in some places, but the other implies that you could not switch on the go, so you have more backtracking. The best case, stick to one playable character.
  • When it comes to bosses, make it where you can attack them at all times rather than having them impossible to attack while they're attacking until they reveal their vulnerable spot (where they stop attacking). This is what DK64 did wrong.
  • When it comes to plot, come up with a really good plot. 3D platformers have lacked good plots and sometimes good characters. For a better one, put in more character development in the major characters while avoiding generic characters and premises. Be more creative and original.
  • Do not use misplaced difficulties, disappointing moves, or confusing controls. When you teach a new technique, at least let it get used more often, but do not get too repetitive.
  • Teleporters, fast moving characters, and sometimes in-game guides are good ideas. A lack of direction isn't good for gaming, but do not give out too much direction.

This is more than making games yourself. It's also on making game ideas. Do you want to have a good game that follows my tips, or do you want a game with excessive collecting like DK64 with broken mechanics like Super Mario Sunshine?

Oh wow thanks! What do you use to make games? I am making demos for potential full games on Scratch but I would love to make a real game.

I actually don't make games with actual game engines, and if I do, it would only be puzzles. All I do when it comes to making games is writing out ideas for the game on my iPad in apps like Pages and Keynote.

Oh cool! If I made a game it would have to be RPG, but that is still some really good info! I have only been writing down ideas for a game, and not actually programed it.

Back