Thinking of playing again

Moritz

Bells
Tasty Cake
Can someone give me some beginners tips for someone who has been playing new horizons?

I played the game a lot in the past but when I last tried to play, I tried to move my flowers by digging them up with the shovel like in New horizons... yeah, so they died.

Any advice would be appreciated

Your villagers will move out without asking if you don't keep track of them. If you have an open villager slot, cover your town with PWPs or patterns where you don't want the house to appear because you otherwise can't dictate where they move in. Think carefully about where you want the campsite, police station, and Resetti HQ to go because there's no moving those after you decide where they go.

The only tools that break I think are the normal and silver axe. Bamboo spreads like wildfire and you can’t move any buildings or trees. Either way I hope you enjoy. I pick it up from time to time. I’m still working on badges and critterpedia.

I just started New Leaf for the first time a couple weeks ago after playing New Horizons for the last year. People left me some good tips in this thread: https://www.belltreeforums.com/threads/advice-for-starting-new-leaf-for-the-first-time.591764/

The other thing that has been helpful for me is adjusting my mindset/expectations. As you know, New Horizons strongly leans into giving the player design control over everything, where as New Leaf is a lore more limited in that regard.

When I play New Leaf, I try to remind myself not to be worried about designing the perfect town (because so much is out of the player's control), and I try to focus more on just enjoying the gameplay and unique elements of the game.

When I play New Leaf, I try to remind myself not to be worried about designing the perfect town (because so much is out of the player's control), and I try to focus more on just enjoying the gameplay and unique elements of the game.

Right, I'd compare NH to being like playing with a doll house where you have full control but... you have full control, it's all on you to move the pieces whereas NL feels more like you're moving into a town with people that have autonomy and feelings

It would be amazing if New Leaf popped up with an update that just added the QOL features from New Horizons and nothing else haha - I just started playing again after playing New Horizons for a year and there are indeed certain things I miss. Certainly nothing that would ever make me pick NH over NL nowadays though.

Right, I'd compare NH to being like playing with a doll house where you have full control but... you have full control, it's all on you to move the pieces whereas NL feels more like you're moving into a town with people that have autonomy and feelings
THIS ^^ This puts exactly into words why i don’t like NH very much.

Jeez, this makes me want to pick up a copy of New Leaf again! You know what they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder.
Post automatically merged:

I should also mention that there's a lot more fuits/ores in NL, which I prefer over NH. In NL, you have the basic 5, as well as coconuts, bananas, mangos, lemons, lychee, and persimmons, I believe. You also have an ore rock that spawns a different type of ore every day, not just gold like in NH. The more I type this, the more I strongly consider picking up a copy for myself!!

Last edited:
Omg yay! New Leaf is my favorite game!
So much of NL is out of the player’s control, so it’s better to have a more relaxed mindset in NL than you do in New Horizons. I would avoid planting bamboo because it just spawns out of control and before you know it you have like 10 new bamboo trees.
You can also eventually change the train station and town hall exteriors, but only after youj have 5 stars and 100 visitors in your town (it can be 1 person who visits 100x btw!)
If you have less than 8 villagers, your plots will auto fill until you have 8, but it won’t auto fill until 10. You have to invite those last 2 yourself via adoption or campgrounds.
Villagers tell you the date they’re moving out. That’s the day they will be in boxes, and they will actually be gone the day AFTER.
If you want to choose where villagers move in, put patterns down every 3 spaces, because villagers move into spaces of 3x3. They WILL move onto flowers and trees though, so be sure to put patterns near trees too.

ALSO, your town can only have perfect fruit trees of your town fruit, so know which perfect fruit you like the most when youre choosing your town :)

Omg yay! New Leaf is my favorite game!
So much of NL is out of the player’s control, so it’s better to have a more relaxed mindset in NL than you do in New Horizons. I would avoid planting bamboo because it just spawns out of control and before you know it you have like 10 new bamboo trees.
You can also eventually change the train station and town hall exteriors, but only after youj have 5 stars and 100 visitors in your town (it can be 1 person who visits 100x btw!)
If you have less than 8 villagers, your plots will auto fill until you have 8, but it won’t auto fill until 10. You have to invite those last 2 yourself via adoption or campgrounds.
Villagers tell you the date they’re moving out. That’s the day they will be in boxes, and they will actually be gone the day AFTER.
If you want to choose where villagers move in, put patterns down every 3 spaces, because villagers move into spaces of 3x3. They WILL move onto flowers and trees though, so be sure to put patterns near trees too.

ALSO, your town can only have perfect fruit trees of your town fruit, so know which perfect fruit you like the most when youre choosing your town :)
I’m so happy to see another person who’s favourite is NL :,) it’s so much better when more things are out of your control, makes the days of playing that much more unpredictable and interesting!!!

Jeez, this makes me want to pick up a copy of New Leaf again! You know what they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder.

I should also mention that there's a lot more fuits/ores in NL, which I prefer over NH. In NL, you have the basic 5, as well as coconuts, bananas, mangos, lemons, lychee, and persimmons, I believe. You also have an ore rock that spawns a different type of ore every day, not just gold like in NH. The more I type this, the more I strongly consider picking up a copy for myself!!
*Chanting* do it, do it, do it...

I decided I didn't like the direction my town was heading in, so I'm starting a new save on a digital copy of the game (my save was on my physical copy).

Had to delete several games to download it which sucks but this should allow me to trade with myself so could be better in the long run!

Just downloading it now!

Back