• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

The Vegan and Vegetarian Thread

I quit last fall, I was a vegetarian for 3 years before. I eat fish, poultry, and eggs, just not red meat because It makes my stomach sick.

Last edited:
i've been veg transitioning to vegan for a while now. personal stuff has prevented that final leap but i hope to get there soon.

I made myself a Caribbean ham inspired seitan loaf yesterday. The recipe had me steam it and I don't think it ended up so great. I'm used to boiling seitan when I make it. It tasted good but the texture was really doughy and springy. Nit had the consistency of dense soggy bread. Oh well.

I've been a vegetarian for about a month now, and I don't think I'll ever go back to eating meat. I know that sounds kind of cocky but there are so many other alternatives to meat and I never feel myself craving it when I know what consequences the animals have to face for our greed.

anyone looking for a good mayo substitute, Just Mayo is fairly cheap and it's soooo good. Tastes just like regular mayo.

I love this thread. I've been vegetarian for almost 11 years and that's how it will stay the rest of my life, can't eat a friend! I'm not vegan yet because our neighbours have a farm and we get eggs and milk from them. When I have time, I help them out with the farm. They love and respect their animals, they basically live for them. AND contrary to what happens with other disgusting farmers, they don't kill them for food when they are old. Sometimes, their cattle and our horses graze together in the same fields and they are best buds :D I love them all to bits.
However, if I lived in the city and I didn't have a farmer market at hand, I wouldn't hesitate a second to become vegan. In fact, when I eat out, I never eat something with milk or egg.

I'm not vegan yet because our neighbours have a farm and we get eggs and milk from them. When I have time, I help them out with the farm. They love and respect their animals, they basically live for them. AND contrary to what happens with other disgusting farmers, they don't kill them for food when they are old. Sometimes, their cattle and our horses graze together in the same fields and they are best buds :D I love them all to bits.
However, if I lived in the city and I didn't have a farmer market at hand, I wouldn't hesitate a second to become vegan. In fact, when I eat out, I never eat something with milk or egg.

Awww, that must be really lovely to live next to people like that <3 Wish there were more such places. I live in the town/city so it's just about finding all the replacements I'd need before I can switch >.<

I love this thread.

I've been vegan for about 3 years now. I love it, it makes me feel great, and I hope I never have to go back to eating/using non-vegan products again.

Love of animals is my #1 reason for being vegan, but feeling healthier is a pretty awesome bonus. Personally, I thought a plant-based diet would be hard...so I put it off for most of my life. I wish I hadn't though because once I decided, it was actually a relatively easy switch.

I just never used to eat vegetables before I went vegan...and I still don't like salad all that much. lol That's shocking to most non-vegan people I meet.

The thing is, I like everything that goes IN a salad, just not in that particular combination. And my whole life I never thought I liked veggies, because growing up my family overcooked them and made them super mooshy. XC

But since I figured out which veggies I love and learned how to prepare them my own way to make them taste good...I'm finally getting nutrients I'd never really got before...and expanded my horizons to include veggies I'd never even considered before! So it worked out pretty nice for me! :)

Ok, I can go on about this topic forever...just wanted to drop in this thread and say hi. ^_^

I love this thread. I've been vegetarian for almost 11 years and that's how it will stay the rest of my life, can't eat a friend! I'm not vegan yet because our neighbours have a farm and we get eggs and milk from them. When I have time, I help them out with the farm. They love and respect their animals, they basically live for them. AND contrary to what happens with other disgusting farmers, they don't kill them for food when they are old. Sometimes, their cattle and our horses graze together in the same fields and they are best buds :D I love them all to bits.

This is awesome! I wish I had access to something like this! On a sort of related note, I am trying to purchase products that are cruelty-free (household products, make-up, cleaning products etc.). Just another way to help out our little furry friends :>

Last edited:
i have been wanting to become a vegetarian (and eventually vegan) for years now. whenever i think about what i'm eating i feel sick and queasy inside, but i just don't have enough resources where i live. i'm in a tiny town and the closest place where i can get things that i would need and alternatives is 45 minutes away.

also, whenever i think about it and tell my parents they just tell me i'm being stupid and that animals were put on this earth to be eaten (what the heck???) and when people ask me why i want to do it, and i say because i hate eating animals and the like, they just make fun of me.

This is awesome! I wish I had access to something like this! On a sort of related note, I am trying to purchase products that are cruelty-free (household products, make-up, cleaning products etc.). Just another way to help out our little furry friends :>

Ooh, may I ask if you have any brands you'd recommend? I know that lush and simple are cruelty-free, but that's about it. ;_;

i have been wanting to become a vegetarian (and eventually vegan) for years now. whenever i think about what i'm eating i feel sick and queasy inside, but i just don't have enough resources where i live. i'm in a tiny town and the closest place where i can get things that i would need and alternatives is 45 minutes away.

also, whenever i think about it and tell my parents they just tell me i'm being stupid and that animals were put on this earth to be eaten (what the heck???) and when people ask me why i want to do it, and i say because i hate eating animals and the like, they just make fun of me.

Same here! I've constantly thought about becoming vegetarian for practically all my life. To be honest, I do think it is cruel because of the way a lot of animals get treated when they're used for meat, and in fact I refuse to eat certain meat (lamb and rabbit), because it actually makes me really upset. xD Also, I don't really enjoy eating meat much either... The only meat I eat tends to be the meat that's bad for you. ): I've been meaning to try and eat more healthily too so I'm hoping if I do one day transition into being a vegetarian, I'll feel better knowing I'm not eating meat off of animals that have been treated cruelly, and I'll feel... Healthier, knowing I'm NOT eating the bad meat. xD But to be honest, I just feel like I'm going to be a pain for my parents and stuff because I don't eat meat, so they're going to struggle to know what to buy or make me for dinner every night, or complain about me being fussy. I guess I should look online and have a look and see some sorts of meals I'd like, but yeah. :(

Have you tried Shiro and Nyx? Both brands have the cruelty free bunny tag :>
Shiro is kinda new I guess, I know them thanks to an American friend of mine who gave me one of their lovely blushes. The color ir really vivid, I like it.

Same here! I've constantly thought about becoming vegetarian for practically all my life. To be honest, I do think it is cruel because of the way a lot of animals get treated when they're used for meat, and in fact I refuse to eat certain meat (lamb and rabbit), because it actually makes me really upset. xD Also, I don't really enjoy eating meat much either... The only meat I eat tends to be the meat that's bad for you. ): I've been meaning to try and eat more healthily too so I'm hoping if I do one day transition into being a vegetarian, I'll feel better knowing I'm not eating meat off of animals that have been treated cruelly, and I'll feel... Healthier, knowing I'm NOT eating the bad meat. xD But to be honest, I just feel like I'm going to be a pain for my parents and stuff because I don't eat meat, so they're going to struggle to know what to buy or make me for dinner every night, or complain about me being fussy. I guess I should look online and have a look and see some sorts of meals I'd like, but yeah. :(

Hey fellow Karl-lover!! I was just like you, my worst fear was telling my parents because they literally have meat in every meal...I didn't wanna offend them (by refusing their cooking) or be an inconvenience to them. I also thought being a veggie would be really difficult, but it really isn't! My parents were surprised but accepting, and at first I just swapped out meat for fake meat like Quorn, and that meant I could still have the same meals as my family but with a meat alternative. I promise it's a lot easier than you think, and I'm much happier now knowing that my beliefs and actions are aligned :)

Aw, I'm sorry that your parents don't support your beliefs. It's hard when that happens.

May I suggest what worked for me? Instead of focusing on what you don't want to eat, maybe talk to them about what you WOULD like to eat. Parents usually worry about you getting enough nutritional foods.

I'm sure your parents would be happier if you told them you'd like to eat more plant based foods (fruits, vegetables, beans, nut/seeds if you're not allergic). Just start adding those, they are healthy for you, and I'm sure your parents will appreciate that you're making an effort to go about things in a mature and healthy-minded way.

Eventually, they might see how you can replace animal-based foods with plant-based foods entirely.

Also, don't worry about being perfect. We're all human. All we can do is try. Maybe sometimes, if you have a choice for that particular meal, eat a little less meat, and replace it with something plant-based when you can. Like at a buffet/restaurant or a meal you buy at work/school, etc.

Every time you can make that choice, you can feel a little closer to your goal. Again, it's not an all or nothing situation. Just do your best.

Also, there are a lot of online places you can get food supplies shipped to your home. International and farmers markets, co-ops, and smaller grocers, even some big chains like Target, carry a lot of "vegan" foods (basically simple whole foods like fruits, veggies, grains, beans, non-dairy milk, etc.) You'd be surprised.

I hope I was helpful. Message me if you'd like to discuss more. Best of luck to you. :D

Aw, I'm sorry that your parents don't support your beliefs. It's hard when that happens.

May I suggest what worked for me? Instead of focusing on what you don't want to eat, maybe talk to them about what you WOULD like to eat. Parents usually worry about you getting enough nutritional foods.

I'm sure your parents would be happier if you told them you'd like to eat more plant based foods (fruits, vegetables, beans, nut/seeds if you're not allergic). Just start adding those, they are healthy for you, and I'm sure your parents will appreciate that you're making an effort to go about things in a mature and healthy-minded way.

Eventually, they might see how you can replace animal-based foods with plant-based foods entirely.

Also, don't worry about being perfect. We're all human. All we can do is try. Maybe sometimes, if you have a choice for that particular meal, eat a little less meat, and replace it with something plant-based when you can. Like at a buffet/restaurant or a meal you buy at work/school, etc.

Every time you can make that choice, you can feel a little closer to your goal. Again, it's not an all or nothing situation. Just do your best.

Also, there are a lot of online places you can get food supplies shipped to your home. International and farmers markets, co-ops, and smaller grocers, even some big chains like Target, carry a lot of "vegan" foods (basically simple whole foods like fruits, veggies, grains, beans, non-dairy milk, etc.) You'd be surprised.

I hope I was helpful. Message me if you'd like to discuss more. Best of luck to you. :D

yeah i guess i'm going to have to talk to them again, and just ask them to accept it. i can get the groceries and everything myself, and of course it's not like i'm going to cook complex meals every night or anything (pfffft) and i can still eat pasta and all of that

i think i'm going to slowly transition, like start by cutting out red meats for a week or two, then poultry and fish. luckily i'm not attached to any kind of meat so i really don't think it will be too hard. it could be though lol it's different for different people.

and you're right, my mom has mentioned that she's worried i won't get enough protein, but there are plenty of foods i can get with protein, so i don't think that would be a problem. if anything, i'll be much healthier as long as i don't just eat junk food 24/7. i like fruits and veggies a lot anyway!

an online place :eek: what a good idea..!! thank you so much for all your help and wisdom! :)

Last edited:
Today I watched a video PETA had posted on Facebook. The video depicted a slaughterhouse. Now, I know I was kinda asking for it by watching, but it really puts things into perspective. I realise how awful the world actually is. I seen a cow clinging to life, its head barely attached to its body, blood all over. It truly makes me sick when I see people making fun of us vegans and vegetarians. This is exactly what we fight to end and everybody acts like it's irrelevant and only humans matter. I just get so tired of having to put up with it. I want to make a difference and change things, because things are dying. It's reality and something has to be done to stop it.

We can live without meat entirely. We haven't always been able to do that, but now we can, and there's no excuse whatsoever to continue with it, and you can't convince me that their taste is worth what they go through. Watch more than four seconds of one of those videos and you'll know what I'm talking about. I just needed to get this off my chest because it upsets me and I think it's one of the biggest issues in the world. It's just hard for me to accept the fact these things live so miserably, and their destiny is to die and end up in some shop, in a plastic container. Hell, I think, comes from the point of view of creatures humans have power over like that.

Last edited:

Couldn't agree with you more bowie! I first saw videos like that when I was 11 or so. It's no wonder I became vegetarian at 12 ha. :rolleyes: I'd only like to add that there are a couple of excuses, one being expenses. I have a couple of friends that would very much like to be vegetarian or vegan, but they genuinely couldn't afford to. :(

Exactly. Lifestyle changes like this are marathons, not sprints. It can be difficult when things outside of your control (i.e. parents) are hindering your progress but don't let it get you down. Do what feels comfortable, transition as slowly as you like and don't let others judge you for the dietary changes (or I guess lack thereof) that you are going through. People usually realize that making fun of someone for being different isn't much fun if the person doesn't rise to their taunt.

Good luck. I'm rooting for you!

Couldn't agree with you more bowie! I first saw videos like that when I was 11 or so. It's no wonder I became vegetarian at 12 ha. :rolleyes: I'd only like to add that there are a couple of excuses, one being expenses. I have a couple of friends that would very much like to be vegetarian or vegan, but they genuinely couldn't afford to. :(

Oh, yes. I wasn't really thinking straight, was I? Things like that are an exception, though I wish I could think of a way everyone could be vegan.

Back