The Town and it's layouts - Any wishes?

Sweetley

- Gone -
Bells
Over the time, the way a town was built up and looks as well as it's layouts in general changed
a lot and I guess they will be also completely different again in the upcoming game.

Do you have any wishes of how the town and the layouts should be in the new game?

While I didn't had a problem of how the town in New Leaf was and what kind of layouts it had
to offer, I kinda wish the town would be like in Wild World and City Folk again, where the town
and the beach were not "separated" by those cliffs. Like, back in WW and CF, you run down
straight to the beach, you didn't had to walk down a path. And behind you, you had a look
of the town, in New Leaf however, you only see those rock faces. Also, villagers were able
to had their houses near the beach, which was a nice touch.

I also would like to have those layouts from Wild World back, where a town can be divided up
in three parts. Here a example of what I mean:

Last edited:
Yessss, the way you put it with the beaches is exactly what I thought when I clicked on this thread. I don't really care for the beach always being down a cliff. It would be okay if that feature was randomised for different towns, but I didn't really like that it was always that way.

I also don't know that I specifically want or don't want cliffs back for tiered towns. Differing heights definitely make towns look more unique, but I liked being able to just go to the north of the town without having to find a ramp. I'm not really sure how this could be accomplished without cliffs as just having bumpy terrain could look ugly. Maybe another thing to be randomised between towns, some towns have cliffs and some don't?

Maybe another thing to be randomised between towns, some towns have cliffs and some don't?
Or maybe one half of the town has cliffs, the other one not? Your idea is also nice, however, I have
that feeling that people are getting more frustrated when it comes to reset the game to get a town
they like, as they would also have now to keep an eye on it if the town has cliffs or not. After all, it's
already a pain for many to find the "perfect town" in New Leaf. I kinda hope they find a good solution
for this.

I seriously hope they bring back cliffs this game. They made towns so much more varied, and I would really like to incorporate a waterfall into my town layout. Perhaps Rover could ask you some sort of question which would determine how many you have. So you could have a 3 layer town, or a town with no cliffs if you choose. If they think cliffs make it too difficult to get around town, we could always place our own ramps as PWPs.

I want tiered towns again. Maybe Rover asks you questions about the town, like if it's hilly or flat. I know new players would be like "wait why does this matter?" but I'd still like to see it.

Also does anyone else want a desert map to choose from, Like the bottom right part of the HHD map? There's no tree's, but you have large cactus as trees and the stubby flower ones as bushes. And then the occasional carrot tree thingy you see in an oasis around your map.

Also, I have a hunch there's gonna be birch trees, since it's a camp decoration in Pocket Camp.

I want tiered towns again. Maybe Rover asks you questions about the town, like if it's hilly or flat. I know new players would be like "wait why does this matter?" but I'd still like to see it.

Also does anyone else want a desert map to choose from, Like the bottom right part of the HHD map? There's no tree's, but you have large cactus as trees and the stubby flower ones as bushes. And then the occasional carrot tree thingy you see in an oasis around your map.

Also, I have a hunch there's gonna be birch trees, since it's a camp decoration in Pocket Camp.

Yes! Different climate towns would be cool. I always wanted to experiment with a desert town but covering the ground with sand patterns looked silly.

I also liked how the beaches were in City Folk, but I hope there's more space instead of just a small sliver. The tiers were also cool. The map generation for New Leaf was really nice so hopefully it'll carry over to the new game. If we're asked questions when we make our character, it would be nice if it contributed to the town generation while we get to pick our own faces.

If we're asked questions when we make our character, it would be nice if it contributed to the town generation while we get to pick our own faces.

If I remember correctly, Kapp'n in Wild World would ask the player why they decided to move to the town, and your choice would determine your house location.

-No cliff beach separation. A smooth transition would look so much better.
-Make the town much larger - like as large or larger than the original animal crossing.
-Make all default layouts non-permanent - As the game goes on we should gradually be allowed to move rocks, ponds, and river flow, and patch up dirt spots.
-No grass wear unless we ask to have it.
-I'd love tiers if we had very wide ramps and plenty of them - so we wouldn't be too constrained of movement. Not sure how they would redesign this part... Making a tier as a smooth hill ramp that remains flat above could work, with rocky cliffs sticking out here and there.
-I'd love to have an actual 'lake' in town - an enclosed body of water which could take up multiple acres of land. Tons of decoration and event opportunities here than mere ponds!

I'd kinda like to have split rivers again like in acww. I had a town where the river forked and there was an island in the middle, I just thought that was so neat because my friends towns didn't have that.

Yes! Different climate towns would be cool. I always wanted to experiment with a desert town but covering the ground with sand patterns looked silly.

I remember suggesting different biome towns for the next game. If biomes are a feature in the next game, I would make three different towns in different biomes.

- - - Post Merge - - -

And yes, I like split rivers or islands in the middle of town. If I made those kind of towns more...city-like, it would be like New York.

I've got a couple of wishes, though not too different from the ones already stated above.

For one, the town has to be much bigger. I'm pretty sure it was due to the limitations of the 3DS, but the NL map felt really, really small after a while.

I'd absolutely love to have multiple tiers again. I don't like flat land at all. (Maybe because I grew up in a really flat area. I've always loved hills and mountains.)
It also makes the town feel bigger imo. I remember I once had a town in the GC game with three layers, and even though it obviously had the exact same number of acres as my other one that only had two, it just felt larger and more "varied". Having multiple water falls was also just really cool.
I do agree however that movement constriction is a problem, so it'd be good if we could build ramps or stairs maybe?

I'd also like to see the return of the little / not so little islands or "islets" that a river could form in the GC game and Wild World + City Folk in some way. I always resetted in hopes of getting one like that.

Another thing I'd like to see return are the separate beaches from NL. I actually love that the beach is separated from the village by cliffs! I'm not too keen on the way it was in the older games.
However ideally I would love for there to be much more space on the beach "tier" and even a little bit of green around the cliff, so the transition from town to beach wouldn't be as abrupt. It'd almost be kind of like it's just one of the tiers of the town, just a bit smaller. There'd be space to put down a couple public works projects, and maybe even a villager or two could live there right by the beach. Or maybe some kind of NPC, who sells diving-related stuff? Ideas, ideas!

EDIT: Thinking about it, the beach I just described would kind of look like the one on the AC track in Mario Kart 8/Deluxe!

Last edited:
Back