• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

The Term "Otaku"

Beardo

Tikki, spots on!
Bells
March Birthstone (Aquamarine)
Winter Mittens
Tasty Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Ancient Candle
Voodoo Doll
August Birthstone (Peridot)
So this is a definition of the word "otaku" from Urbandictionary,

"Otaku is the honorific word of Taku (home).

Otaku is extremely negative in meaning as it is used to refer to someone who stays at home all the time and doesn't have a life (no social life, no love life, etc)

Usually an otaku person has nothing better to do with their life so they pass the time by watching anime, playing videogames, surfing the internet (otaku is also used to refer to a nerd/hacker/programmer).

In the Western culture, people confuse otaku to be something positive like "Guru". If you think about it, it's not really good to be called a guru if it means you are a total loser who can't socialize with other people except through the Internet.

Other Japanese words which have been confused by Westerners also include but not limited to: Anime, Manga, etc
otaku no jinsei ha yabai na! (it sucks to live the life of an otaku!)"

Why do people call themselves otakus? Like, it's not a good thing, even if weeaboos pretend it is. Anyone else annoyed by seeing this constantly?

Last edited:
Hahaha I'm sure you're going to get replies from people on this very forum who will stubbornly stick to their belief of otaku being a fine thing to call themselves. It's really annoying, but I've come to realize that it's sort of pointless arguing with them because they'll keep referring to themselves as otakus. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that most people who identify with the term don't really understand the actual meaning of the word or just want to reclaim it. It doesn't really bother me. If anything, it's kind of amusing. Most people I've come across that identify as otakus pretty much fall into the Japanese definition anyways :L

Last edited:
weeaboos man. too much for me.
papa franku made a wonderful video on the subject I suggest all self proclaimed otakus to watch

Last edited:
I tend to take it as either self-deprecative humour or just brutal honesty when people describe themselves as otakus. I mean the definition you wrote pretty accurately describes me at certain times in my life. Not that I'm proud or ashamed of that it's just how it is.

Also the struggle to stop your computer from correcting "otakus" to "oats" is real.

i somewhat consider myself an otaku // but just because it has a negative connotation doesnt mean its exactly a bad thing ;u;

depends, but i aint no weaboo

Last edited:
Anyone that refers to themselves as one doesn't really know how bad the term actually is.
Nobody would openly go out and announce that they're so obsessed with their computer that they can't go out in public and have a normal social life.

^ this is true, in Japan. However, people outside of Japan don't see the context in this manner.
Also, an otaku, isn't just excluded to anime. A person could be an otaku in, say, My little pony.
Extreme hoarding of products related whatever their obsesssion is, poor hygeine, lack of socialization.
It's an embarrassment to really label yourself as it, but it is what it is.

If you've seen ME!ME!ME! by teddyloid (nsfw), it really shows the true meaning of how otaku lifestyle is a burdening on you and other people.. Always in a fantasy world and losing touch with the outside world.

I always cringe when I hear people use the label upon themselves, then I just shrug it off because most people just don't know any better.

also @juuri : I love papa franku's videos , esp on that topic hahaah.

otaku's are really just weaboos because theyre trying to cover it up, and weaboos are just weaboos
conclusion: theyre all weaboos to me

I think weeaboos just call themself this to seem impressive in front of fellow weeaboos ;-;

The actual Japanese definition simply means "enthusiast" and is used a lot in anime and manga to signify someone of a geeky nature who likes the same thing the people defining themselves as otaku would, hence a lot of people pick up the term for themselves. From what I've seen, half the people who define as otaku know that this is the meaning and are nice, and the other half are genuinely using it wrongly for an obsession. Urban dictionary isn't actually the real definition, you know. Get a Japanese to English one. *i have one because I am genuinely learning Japanese at the moment*

this has been a thing since the like the early 2000s weebs will always exist and call themselves that. nothing u can do

The actual Japanese definition simply means "enthusiast" and is used a lot in anime and manga to signify someone of a geeky nature who likes the same thing the people defining themselves as otaku would, hence a lot of people pick up the term for themselves. From what I've seen, half the people who define as otaku know that this is the meaning and are nice, and the other half are genuinely using it wrongly for an obsession. Urban dictionary isn't actually the real definition, you know. Get a Japanese to English one. *i have one because I am genuinely learning Japanese at the moment*

omg

oh kermie.jpg

actually i'm not even gonna argue
i'm gonna be an adult here
just don't be cringey kids. pls.

Last edited:
Back