• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

The Term "Otaku"

Considering its actual origin, no it's not a good thing lol.

I guess people use it in a way to make them feel proud because they have a bit odd hobbies/interests, I don't know. I would not say I am, though.

^ this is true, in Japan. However, people outside of Japan don't see the context in this manner.
Also, an otaku, isn't just excluded to anime. A person could be an otaku in, say, My little pony.
Extreme hoarding of products related whatever their obsesssion is, poor hygeine, lack of socialization.
It's an embarrassment to really label yourself as it, but it is what it is.

If you've seen ME!ME!ME! by teddyloid (nsfw), it really shows the true meaning of how otaku lifestyle is a burdening on you and other people.. Always in a fantasy world and losing touch with the outside world.
This. So true with the statement about ME!ME!ME! can i just say that daoko and teddyloid slayed with that song

The actual Japanese definition simply means "enthusiast" and is used a lot in anime and manga to signify someone of a geeky nature who likes the same thing the people defining themselves as otaku would, hence a lot of people pick up the term for themselves. From what I've seen, half the people who define as otaku know that this is the meaning and are nice, and the other half are genuinely using it wrongly for an obsession. Urban dictionary isn't actually the real definition, you know. Get a Japanese to English one. *i have one because I am genuinely learning Japanese at the moment*
While I'm aware that in the Japanese dictionary it's 'enthusiast', but only because they are using a neutral term that does not have any negative connotation stuck to it. In reality it's closer to 'mania/maniac', since their passion for anime/military/idols/history/etc. can be quite intense to the point where it really does become an unhealthy obsession. So simply saying that it's "someone of a geeky nature" is putting the term otaku very lightly, and can also be taken as an insult to some elitist otaku out there. Just saying out of personal experience I've encountered online.

Urban Dictionary may not be a reliable source, because some of the things they've described is closer to a shut-in/hikikomori than an otaku (though the two can overlap in a person), it does have some truth in it.

In Japan some people, at least the younger generations anyway, can tolerate Westerners calling themselves otaku because they understand it's a term of endearment over there. The least you'll get is a giggle, "That's so weird!" or a similar comment, or an eye roll. If you're a native Japanese citizen or they mistake you for one however you're a joke in their eyes.

Last edited:
From what I've seen, the people who refer to themselves as Otakus generally mean they're like obsessed with Anime, mangas, and like they think they don't have a life. While it's actual meaning is much more extreme, it's just something that the general public doesn't really know and they follow it as what we know an otaku is all about. Which is pretty close.

I'm not one, not even close. And there's no reason to make a person feel bad when they say they're an otaku. They simply mean they're obsessed with the Japanese culture :')

im a loser with no social life and watch anime, play video games and browse the internet to pass the time.

I think it's because some people think it's a "Japanese term" that isn't Weeaboo so they jump on the train and want to label themselves as something too in order to feel special.
Some others joke about being a loser when in reality have no idea how silly it makes them look.

I've always seen the word Otaku just as a term for somebody that has no social life but then in Japanese, I didn't really search anymore meaning behind it nor did I know it was related to anime and/or Japanese culture. Though I don't know why I would have the need to call somebody this because 1. It's Japanese, I could as well say it in English 2. I think it's a bit rude to judge a person on the life style they choose themself.
Don't get me wrong, I think a bit of self-mockery is totally fine and sometimes just needed in life, but I honestly don't know why you would use foreign words to label yourself or to get some sort of group feeling

There's a group of girls at my school who call themselves that. I don't know what to tell them. :0

I never really thought of much the term. I always associated it with liking Japanese culture.
Though, some people are fanatical about being one. Most people, from what I've seen anyways, usually just call themselves that because they like Japanese media and arts. It's rare to meet someone who's into the folklore or history calling themselves that.

words evolve and take on different meanings in different contexts. My understanding of the term is that it is negative in Japan but when people call it themselves that they are owning it and not really using it in a negative way. Either way it does not bother me if people in america call themselves that. It also doesnt bother me when people obsess over Asian cultures. I think its pretty neat actually. There are lots of embarrassing things in this world, if you let them be. At the end of the day, none of it matters. There are worse things in the world. Like grown ass married men with children that go on the internet and harass teenage girls. Now thats embarrassing!

Last edited:
weeaboos man. too much for me.
papa franku made a wonderful video on the subject I suggest all self proclaimed otakus to watch

I swear that was the best video I've ever seen. I've never laughed so hard before.

The actual Japanese definition simply means "enthusiast" and is used a lot in anime and manga to signify someone of a geeky nature who likes the same thing the people defining themselves as otaku would, hence a lot of people pick up the term for themselves. From what I've seen, half the people who define as otaku know that this is the meaning and are nice, and the other half are genuinely using it wrongly for an obsession. Urban dictionary isn't actually the real definition, you know. Get a Japanese to English one. *i have one because I am genuinely learning Japanese at the moment*

My school gets a lot of Japanese exchange students, and according to them "Otaku" is generally used as a derogatory term.

Dictionary definitions don't always fully explain the common usage or connotations of a word. For example, although this (TW) word is generally used as a slur towards trans people, the dictionary definition makes no mention of this.

My school gets a lot of Japanese exchange students, and according to them "Otaku" is generally used as a derogatory term.

Dictionary definitions don't always fully explain the common usage or connotations of a word. For example, although this (TW) word is generally used as a slur towards trans people, the dictionary definition makes no mention of this.

I feel it's better to ask some who's been living in Japan about the definition rather than search for it online or in a dictionary.
The textbook meanings are either biased or too neutral to give any real information.

Tsutomu Miyazaki! That story is amazing!

EDIT: Amazing sounds a bit wrong, just very interesting

Interesting, yes, and messed up. Those poor girls. If only they knew what that monster did to their dead bodies.

I will say what surprised me was the vampirism. It is quite rare that it's involved in a crime, and he is the example I will use to explain to my future children why not to talk to strangers.

Interesting, yes, and messed up. Those poor girls. If only they knew what that monster did to their dead bodies.

I will say what surprised me was the vampirism. It is quite rare that it's involved in a crime, and he is the example I will use to explain to my future children why not to talk to strangers.

I got curious and read the story. It's pretty messed up how detailed it was, as well as how many perspectives it was told in.
It made me sad knowing he ended up that way only because of his hands and the negligence of his parents. :c

most weeaboos see being an otaku is simply being anime obsessed, so otaku for us has a western definition to it now

i dont see why people make the word a huge deal, let people call themselves whatever they want. i personally dont have an issue with being called an otaku bc to be blunt, im the japanese definition of it; which as you described, is a negative thing. well, its nothing negative for me. being an anti social shut in is nothing new to me; its not that im anti social, i just enjoy being alone -- its relaxing compared to dealing with being in a group of snooty people. in other words, the term otaku isnt necessarily negative for me. its nobodys place to be judging people based off their lifestyle

Back