• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

Tanning beds!

kiti_in_wonderland

Bells
White Cosmos
Winter Mittens
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Happy Home Designer Token
I just had an idea for future animal crossing games (though it really should have been in this one) and wanted to know what everyone else thought.

Tanning beds!

Does anyone else think shampoodle should have a tanning bed service, where you can pay 3,000 bells for a tan, and pick the shade you want? Maybe it could be permanent, or maybe get a new one every 5 days. I think it's a bit ridiculous that the only way to get darker skin is by spending days on the island >.<

I totally agree! that could be so awesome, even as a home furniture item. at first i thought it was a bit racist that you can only be white, but then i remembered that its a japanese game, so the characters are designed to look japanese.. but tanning beds could be so cool!

They should've made an option once you first started the game to chose your skin ton, I don't know why they didn't implement that in the first place.

Yeah I mean I know with it being a Japanese game they more than likely didn't really think about that but at the same time, they made such a big deal for the release of New Leaf >.< Since they knew this game would be popular and internationally released they really should have considered this >.< And tanning on the island just seems like it's a bit of work - and should be way easier to pick your skin tone >.<

I feel like a tanning bed would be better than picking your skin tone from the start, only because I have no idea how Rover would ask or word that sorta of question >.<

I feel like a tanning bed would be better than picking your skin tone from the start, only because I have no idea how Rover would ask or word that sorta of question >.<

No.
Literally just pull a Pok?mon and let people choose their skin color upon starting up the game like?? It doesn't have to be difficult guys.

Regardless, they should have done something :/ maybe just let us create our mayor or character prior, I don't see the point in making it random since it is suppose to be like us

I think it'd be cute and fitting if maybe when you're talking to rover, you end up looking at a photo of several young vague looking kids with different skin colours, and you pick which kid was you! then the rest of the questions can still work :)

I agree Beige! Like maybe he's carrying some type of scrapbook, of his travels, and he goes "oh, hey! This one kind of looks like you! Crazy, right?" And you can disagree/agree until you find one you like

I do love that idea! Or maybe you could drop a photo and he will pick it up and ask which one is you, hopefully in the next game they consider something like this!

I've always been a fan of the idea Katie is there instead of Rover, and she asks you to pick crayons in order to determine your skin colour/eyes/hair :). Definitely not tanning beds though, that could promote some dangerous addictions!

I like that skin tone can be changeable... Disappointed that it takes so much work. Tanning bed technology has changed a lot IRL... Some ppl use them for Vitamin D, psoriasis, etc. I like the tanning bed in Shampoodle idea!

Bottom line is...there has got to be a better way!

This is a good idea! The only problem if it was permanent that they would need a way to de-tan
just in case you suddenly decide you dont want it anymore
but for now, I will go tan on the sunny shores of the island

It wouldn't look like a tanning bed irl though, maybe a pink changing room looking thing, where.you are told it's the new tanning saloon and go from there. Maybe chose a level on how dark of a tan so you can always go back to 1 (it's a game so it doesn't have to be that realistic) this way a player has the option to remain with a dark skin tone or change it through the year from pale back to dark (since some people do get darker in the summer)

This is a pretty popular idea for Animal Crossing. Nintendo might add it in the next game due to many fans suggesting it.

the problem with a tanning salon would be that they are pretty unhealthy irl and people are getting addicted to them so it might not be something they want to put into the game! more importantly though, assuming you guys mean you start off really pale and then tan to your desired colour, it kind of implies that everyone's pale naturally and black people are just really really tanned haha. thats not a kind way to think of someone's natural colour and it could make darker-skinned children feel invalidated or excluded! It's hard to explain. if you choose your gender at the start and cant change it after i think that should apply to skin tone as well imo

however, i do think that tanning in the game should continue to happen! eg. if you start of pale and naturally tan a bit darker. it's quite a cute little feature that im sure a lot of people find charming in the summer. But with some kind of starting option that lets you choose your starting skin tone as well.

They should make it so that your character has the same skin color as your favorite Mii. I don't think there should be a tanning bed because they can cause skin cancer in real life, and the game shouldn't be encouraging that.

The suggestion of Rover asking you if agree with whether or not a picture looks like you to pick out your skin tone is cute, another idea is that before you even get on the train to go to your new town, you wake up in your mom's house (by her saying good morning ____, where you type your characters name, then she says its your big day, my little girl/boy [you choose which] is all grown up!) you look in the mirror and can choose your face, skin tone, hairstyle, eye color and shape, etc there. Then theres a short cinematic of you saying bye to your parents and running out the door with a suitcase to the train station, where you meet Rover who asks you questions that determine the town layout. (Does the river flow through most of the town or is it small, how many ponds, color of town hall, name, etc) then he shows you a couple maps that fit your criteria and you choose the one you like best

Mm... I disagree with a lot of this
Sure, Tanning beds in the real world cause cancer
But it's not like the game promotes children and older to go out and catch sharks and fit them in their pockets whole
Or talk to animals
I'm assuming anybody who can play this game and understand it would know that tanning beds can cause injury, like everything else. I do not believe someone would go into excessive tanning mode off of a game. What you guys are saying is that if they put in a tanning bed, it's automatically displaying a dangerous act to players, influencing them to do that damgerous act? Why, eating fruit can make you choke. Should they take that out?
Tripping can lead to serious injury
Should that be removed too?
I don't know. That's just my thought on this subject.

Mm... I disagree with a lot of this
Sure, Tanning beds in the real world cause cancer
But it's not like the game promotes children and older to go out and catch sharks and fit them in their pockets whole
Or talk to animals
I'm assuming anybody who can play this game and understand it would know that tanning beds can cause injury, like everything else. I do not believe someone would go into excessive tanning mode off of a game. What you guys are saying is that if they put in a tanning bed, it's automatically displaying a dangerous act to players, influencing them to do that damgerous act? Why, eating fruit can make you choke. Should they take that out?
Tripping can lead to serious injury
Should that be removed too?
I don't know. That's just my thought on this subject.

Most people know from a young age that sharks are dangerous. Most young kids don't know what cancer is and they (and a lot of adults too) don't know that tanning beds can cause skin cancer.

Last edited:
Back