• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

šŸŽˆsome art

rip

Cherry Tomato Boy
Bells
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Pink Love Potion
Dino Plush
Dino Plush
Mom's Plush
Mom's Plush
Spirit Candy: Wix
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
hey šŸ‘‹ :~)
iā€™ve been wanting to make one of these art threads for a minute now and after recently getting my wacom intuos in the mail, i finally feel like i can šŸ‘€

this is the first piece of art iā€™ve made on my new tablet and i wanted to share. currently iā€™m playing around with this free program called ā€œsketchbookā€ while i try to get thru the learning curve of using a tablet + laptop :~)
906AA610-B045-4D0C-A824-86A38010D256.jpeg
disclaimer: i am NOT used to digital art, iā€™m a total beginner when it comes to drawing tablets, so this is very much out of my comfort zone. i have no idea how to utilize layers, coloring is really hard for me right now.

hopefully i can keep updating this thread with doodles and stuff, i think itā€™ll be a great way for me to keep track of my digital art (and progress)
i hope you enjoy checking this out and if you actually read this dumb lil intro, thanks a ton!! youā€™re super cool.

also, any tips / tricks / suggestions about anything digital art related are more than welcome! feel free to leave suggestions :~)
A35C7682-9368-459D-913E-053466DFB3EC.gif

Last edited:
Wow that's a really cool drawing you made! And is this your first time drawing digitally I assume? I think it's fantastic!

I've been doing digital art since 2011 and I started moving toward more professional style digital art in 2017, so I have some experience with it. I can give you a few pointers:
1. LAYERS ARE YOUR BEST FRIEND!! Layers make drawing traditional-style art soooo much easier! I personally use it to draw a gestural/sketch, and then I put it on a lower layer and erase with about 25% opacity so that I can use an upper layer to draw the actual image over it and I don't have to worry about erasing the sketching around the drawing I just did. When the lineart is finished I do the coloring on a lower layer than the lineart as well. Using layers can make it easier to figure out what colors you'd like to use before you begin the lineart (if you outline with a darker version of the color like I do).
I also use layers to do shading sometimes, especially when I'm working with a lot of jagged or merging edges in the coloring.
Here's a drawing I did as a digital commission back in December. See how I did a sketch, erased it to make it a low opacity, and then did the drawing over it and erased it when I was done. The sketch is on a different layer than the lineart, and I also do the coloring on a separate layer so it doesn't interfere with the finished lineart.
HNI_0022.JPG
-->
HNI_0023.JPG
-->

HNI_0025.JPG
-->
HNI_0026.JPG
I just did this drawing recently. You obv can't tell just by looking at it but the light gray area of the lower fur, the middle grey fur, and the upper dark grey fur are all on different layers. That made it WAY easier to color and shape with the eraser.
eb9e6aivaae0sn2-jpg.282196
2. It may take some time to get used to drawing digitally. I know my friends who were trying digital art on my 3DS for the first time were baffled by how smoothly the pen drags across the surface of my 3DS screen, since a pencil gives a lot more resistance. Now I read that you're using a Wacom tablet. I've personally never used one but the ones I have seen don't have a screen. If it's the screenless kind then I assume it will take a lot longer to get used to (I've only done digital art on the DSi, 3DS and my android tablet). But if you use it a bunch it'll become a second nature.
3. Now would be a good time to possibly study other people's digital art. I've learned a ton about doing lineart and shading just by looking at others' work on the internet. Digital art makes it possible to use any color you want in any way, and learning how to utilize it makes a world of difference to your art.

That's all I have for now, hopefully you have fun with digital art! I look forward to seeing what other art you create! :D

• Love
Reactions: rip
Wow that's a really cool drawing you made! And is this your first time drawing digitally I assume? I think it's fantastic!

I've been doing digital art since 2011 and I started moving toward more professional style digital art in 2017, so I have some experience with it. I can give you a few pointers:
1. LAYERS ARE YOUR BEST FRIEND!! Layers make drawing traditional-style art soooo much easier! I personally use it to draw a gestural/sketch, and then I put it on a lower layer and erase with about 25% opacity so that I can use an upper layer to draw the actual image over it and I don't have to worry about erasing the sketching around the drawing I just did. When the lineart is finished I do the coloring on a lower layer than the lineart as well. Using layers can make it easier to figure out what colors you'd like to use before you begin the lineart (if you outline with a darker version of the color like I do).
I also use layers to do shading sometimes, especially when I'm working with a lot of jagged or merging edges in the coloring.
Here's a drawing I did as a digital commission back in December. See how I did a sketch, erased it to make it a low opacity, and then did the drawing over it and erased it when I was done. The sketch is on a different layer than the lineart, and I also do the coloring on a separate layer so it doesn't interfere with the finished lineart.
View attachment 283423 -->View attachment 283424-->

View attachment 283425 -->View attachment 283427.
I just did this drawing recently. You obv can't tell just by looking at it but the light gray area of the lower fur, the middle grey fur, and the upper dark grey fur are all on different layers. That made it WAY easier to color and shape with the eraser.
eb9e6aivaae0sn2-jpg.282196
2. It may take some time to get used to drawing digitally. I know my friends who were trying digital art on my 3DS for the first time were baffled by how smoothly the pen drags across the surface of my 3DS screen, since a pencil gives a lot more resistance. Now I read that you're using a Wacom tablet. I've personally never used one but the ones I have seen don't have a screen. If it's the screenless kind then I assume it will take a lot longer to get used to (I've only done digital art on the DSi, 3DS and my android tablet). But if you use it a bunch it'll become a second nature.
3. Now would be a good time to possibly study other people's digital art. I've learned a ton about doing lineart and shading just by looking at others' work on the internet. Digital art makes it possible to use any color you want in any way, and learning how to utilize it makes a world of difference to your art.

That's all I have for now, hopefully you have fun with digital art! I look forward to seeing what other art you create! :D
thank you so much for the response :ā€™~) iā€™m so glad someone saw this haha. that was really helpful. iā€™m definitely gonna try the eraser opacity thing!! and yea, iā€™m using the tablet (no screen) connected to my little macbook air. itā€™s definitely a challenge getting used to the fact that iā€™m not drawing directly on something, but itā€™s fun to learn! and your drawings are so sweet, i love them. thank you for the kind words. iā€™ll try to add more doodles and stuff soon!

that drawing is so cool!!! kinda gives me tiffany from the childā€™s play/chucky movies vibes aha. i like how the only things coloured are her eye and the blood - makes them stand out šŸ„°

that drawing is so cool!!! kinda gives me tiffany from the childā€™s play/chucky movies vibes aha. i like how the only things coloured are her eye and the blood - makes them stand out šŸ„°
haha thank you, i totally see that too!! when i initially started the drawing i was trying going for like a cute chibi style, but also still my style?? it didnā€™t work lmao,, iā€™m trying to be able to soften up my drawing style and do ā€œcuteā€ instead of ā€œcreepyā€ sometimes, but old habits die hard šŸ˜‚
and tyyy i appreciate that because i cant really fully color stuff at the moment. (and i just love line drawings)
šŸ„°šŸ„°

Back