• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Pokémon Poké Ball Preferences

Halloqueen

is manifesting hybrid roses
Bells
White Rose
White Rose
Red Rose
Yellow Rose
Red Rose
White Rose
White Rose
White Rose
Red Rose
Yellow Rose
There are many different variants of Poké Balls in the Pokémon series, so I figured there's plenty of possible discussion to be had about them.

Which are your favorite types of Poké Ball?

Do you prefer to use any type more than the rest?

Do you like any of their light effects when compared to the rest?

Do you like to use the Ball Capsules and Stickers in the Johto and Sinnoh games?

Are you one of the people who enjoys only capturing everything in standard Poké Balls?

Do you like to switch up your throwing style? Which throwing style(s) do you prefer?

Let's talk about it!

---

Standard Series Ball Names Listed
Poké Ball, Great Ball, Ultra Ball, Master Ball, Safari Ball
Level Ball, Lure Ball, Moon Ball, Friend Ball, Love Ball
Heavy Ball, Fast Ball, Sport Ball, Premier Ball, Repeat Ball
Timer Ball, Nest Ball, Net Ball, Dive Ball, Luxury Ball
Heal Ball, Quick Ball, Dusk Ball, Cherish Ball, Park Ball
Dream Ball, Beast Ball
bmEmveP.png

Pokémon Legends Arceus Ball Names Listed
Origin Ball, Strange Ball, Gigaton Ball
Leaden Ball, Heavy Ball
Wing Ball, Jet Ball, Feather Ball
Ultra Ball, Great Ball, Poké Ball
koCJVTM.png

---

Recently, over the course of a few months, I slowly bred a team of Pokémon for a playthrough of Violet and decided I wanted all of the team members to be in Luxury Balls. I grew to appreciate Luxury Balls more than I had prior, and this is what gave me the idea to create this thread.

My absolute favorite style of Poké Ball is the Moon Ball; I like the blue and black representing day turning to night and the crescent moon is neat. Other favorites include the Heavy Ball, Love Ball, Beast Ball, Strange Ball, and of course the aforementioned Luxury Ball. The Jet Ball is also pretty neat, as someone whose favorite animals are birds, but it's a shame that they aren't usable outside of Legends Arceus.

As for the light effects when they're thrown, I like the hearts from the Love Ball, the dark purple of the Dusk Ball, the pink clouds from the Dream Ball, the red and orange light from the Cherish Ball and I think the clocks that show up from Timer Balls are cool and would make for a nice themed team.

I'm glad that the various Apricorn Balls have escaped the Johto games and have been acquirable in the games since Sun & Moon, though I wish they weren't so limited. I'm also kind of disappointed that the Strange Ball can only be acquired by transferring a Pokémon caught in Legends: Arceus and can't be bred down like other Poké Balls, since it has a really nice look to it.

Last edited:
1708108813959.png

The classic Poké Ball.

No, I put all my mons in classic balls unless they are event mons. Sometimes I use the Master Ball to get through cutscene legendaries.

No, because I use classic ones.

Do you like to use the Ball Capsules and Stickers in the Johto and Sinnoh games?

No. Glad they never became a main stay.

Are you one of the people who enjoys only capturing everything in standard Poké Balls?

Yes, if it wasn't obvious already.

Do you like to switch up your throwing style? Which throwing style(s) do you prefer?

Well, I like the cooler throws. I am left handed so I always appreciate lefty love.

i'll be completely honest with you, i've never really cared, especially since i think it's hard to get a lot of the balls outside the standard three. (and i've never really understood why.) like, the moon ball and love ball designs are probably my favorite, but in scar/vio, they're largely only available through the auctions which are random and also expensive. if most of them were easier to get a hold of, i'd probably be pretty into matching the poke ball colors to the pokemon going into them, but as things are, i'm not. they pretty much all go in ultra balls once i have access to them. as for throwing styles, i feel like i never change mine lol.

Thank you so much for actually listing the balls and their names so I don't have to look that up.

Sometimes I try and make the ball match the Pokémon going in it. I'm working on a Ribbon Master journey. My defaults are Luxury Ball for people. I do wish we could actually use the Park Ball.
Post automatically merged:

i'll be completely honest with you, i've never really cared, especially since i think it's hard to get a lot of the balls outside the standard three. (and i've never really understood why.) like, the moon ball and love ball designs are probably my favorite, but in scar/vio, they're largely only available through the auctions which are random and also expensive. if most of them were easier to get a hold of, i'd probably be pretty into matching the poke ball colors to the pokemon going into them, but as things are, i'm not. they pretty much all go in ultra balls once i have access to them. as for throwing styles, i feel like i never change mine lol.
The Fast, Level, Lure, Heavy, Love, Friend, and Moon balls are the ones hard to get and only show up in auctions or item printer.

You can buy the Net, Dive, Nest, Repeat, Timer, Luxury, Premier, Dusk, Heal, and Quick Ball at all Pokemarts after getting a certain amount of badges. You can get endless Beast Balls from completing the Academy Ace Tournament.

I've always loved luxury balls, but I have to say that they look especially awesome in Scarlet and Violet with that gorgeous metallic sheen.
Of the other 'regular' Pokeballs, I also like Premier balls; I tend to use them for white Pokemon in particular.

Dream balls are my favorite of the rare Pokeballs; partly because of their look and animation, partly because of my nostalgia for Pokemon Dream World.
I also have a soft spot for beast balls, sport balls, safari balls, love balls, friend balls, and moon balls.

Luxury balls are the go-to for most of my team. My only complaint is that their low catch rate doesn't make any sense. They're even described as being 'particularly comfortable' so why do Pokemon hate them so much?? I've been trying to catch all the Snacksworth legendaries in luxury balls and it's been a somewhat trying experience. I'm like "LIVE IN LUXURIOUS COMFORT!" and they're like "NEVEEEERR!!!" *breaks out instantly*

I've also been catching all my paradox Pokemon in beast balls, and the Kitakami legendaries are all in dusk balls - they may not be rare Pokeballs, but I just found them fitting for whatever reason.

Additionally, any shiny bug Pokemon I find must be caught in a sport ball.

The light effects can be tricky because they have changed my perspective on certain Pokeballs. For example, the net ball effects kind of looks like a spiderweb, and because of that I tend to use them on spider Pokemon. The timer ball looks kind of like a mohawk, but I find I don't like it for 'punky' Pokemon because it has such a time-based effect.

As said before, I particularly love the dream ball light effect, but others are nice as well (beast, sport, and the apriballs)

I'm not sure why, but I have to admit I never played around with this feature much. I do plan on replaying Pearl some day, so I'll see if I mess with them more then.

No. The only rare Pokemon I went out of my way to catch in a Poke ball was my second Koraidon, so that it matched the first one. I actually quite resent GF for making certain Pokemon unattainable in anything other than a standard Poke ball. I'm hoping that they will have some tera raid events for the Paldea starters so that my Skeledirge can finally be in a luxury ball. My wish is that some day they will release a "pokeball swap" machine that will let you change out the pokeball that a Pokemon is in, as long as you have an empty one in your inventory.

I love customizable throwing styles, but I was a little disappointed with the variety of throwing style in ScarVio. That said, I quite like the smug throwing style, so that's the one I'm using.

i really love moon balls! just the whole aesthetic is nice to me!! i can next to never get my hands on them, but i do love how they look! ball capsules and stickers were fun too! i wish they brought those to ScarVio!

i think my partner is lowkey insane for trying to get everything in a pokeball LOL. but i gotta commend them on their stubbornness over that!

My favorite is definitely the repeat ball. The design is great and I love the animation when you use one in the GBA games. I also like using the heal ball for shinies, its animation works very well with the shiny animation. Aside from that I generally just use the best ball I happen to have for each capture, though I do like torturing myself by spending ridiculous amounts of time trying to catch legendaries in Pokeballs while they are still at full health without status conditions. I did like using seals in the gen 4 games, I found them to be a neat and fun feature.

I honestly don’t mind what Pokéball my Pokémon are in. I just use whatever the best one I can use so I’m guaranteed to catch them. I know a lot of people like decorating them in different ones, but I find it frustrating doing that because some species are really difficult to catch, like Beldum.

The Moon Ball is my favorite, hands down, for the colors and overall design/theme (although it's a shame that it has such a niche usage), although I think the Dive Ball and Luxury Ball are pretty nice too! And this is purely my preference for historical settings speaking, but I adore the more detailed/intricate and less sleek Poké Ball designs in Legends: Arceus. Most modern Poké Balls are so smooth looking I feel like I'd accidentally drop them a lot tbh
As far as their light effects go, I really like the Dusk Ball's (even though I'm not a fan of the ball itself), Heal Ball's, and Timer Ball's. I think they have a lot of character to their animations. The Cherish Ball's effects in older games are also super beautiful, but unfortunately I never really got the chance to see it in my own. ;u; Of the more general animations, I'd go with the Luxury Ball's.

I like the concept of the ball capsules and stickers in older games, but they made it inconvenient to switch Pokémon in and out of the PC, so that made me less likely to use them as much as I would've liked. Haven't played BDSP yet so I don't know how it's handled there.

If a Pokémon has a fairly easy catch rate, I might try to catch it in a ball that I feel matches it best, but otherwise I tend to just spam Great and Ultra Balls for ease of capture, or Dusk, Quick, and Timer Balls when appropriate. ;v; I don't have the patience to lob aesthetically-pleasing balls at legendaries or try to catch them in standard balls for the flex lol

I'm the type of person who catches everything in regular Poké Balls, just for consistency and also for the challenge. In terms of how useful they are in-game, Quick Balls and Timer Balls prove to be very reliable, especially Quick Balls against roaming Legendaries. In terms of the overall design, my favorites are the standard Poké Ball, Moon Ball, Love Ball, Heavy Ball, Dive Ball, Luxury Ball, Beast Ball, and the one and only Master Ball 💜

Good ol' classic balls are the way to go for me. I love buying them in bulk.

Each ball type having its own light effect is like each one having its own personality, charisma and fashion statement lol I can appreciate that. The effects are especially nice-looking on the DS games. I think it's really cool that in the Gen 2 games and only the Gen 2 games (GSC), when you throw the Master Ball there's this special twinkling animation that plays when the ball opens up, just before catching the Pokémon.

I do! It was a pretty neat mechanic at the time. Collecting all the Alphabet stickers by catching each Unown feels rewarding, even though it serves no grand purpose other than to satisfy that completionist itch.

Heck yeah I am one of those people lolol it's important to me that my party members are all caught in standard Poké Balls. Especially when breeding.

Not really. It's sort of an extension of character customization, which I don't care much about, but I can understand the appeal of it. Trainers deserve some personality, too.

Cosmetic wise, I like the standard ball, moon ball, and net ball. The heavy ball is interesting.
I use mostly the standard due to access and function not getting in the way, like how a net ball's function could get in the way if a pokemon is not a water or bug. But sometimes I'll try to match a ball to the pokemon, like if I think they go together cosmetically.

Functionally, I actually like the timer balls for legendaries.

I tend to use the premier ball for shinies, otherwise I am not too picky. If I am doing dex hunting, the quick ball works fine and I don't care toooo much about the aesthetic. I do like the friend ball the most out of all of them!

I prefer the classic ball the most but I also like premier balls. I catch all my legendaries in classic balls and I try to get any shinies in classic or premier balls but some are in Quick balls. I don't like most apriballs so I never use them.

BEAST BALL LOOKS DOPE ON ANYTHING

The Beast Ball ain't your run-of-the-mill Poké Ball, it's the absolute bomb in Pokémon design, no doubt! Just look at that slick combo of black and neon green, giving it a vibe straight outta the future. The hexagonal pattern is like something out of a sci-fi flick, making it look crazy cool. But it ain't all about the looks – this ball means business when it comes to snagging those tricky Ultra Beasts. It's like the secret sauce for bagging the toughest critters out there. So, not only is it a style icon, but it's also the go-to gear when you're on a mission to catch those out-of-this-world Pokémon. It's a win-win

In Scarlet and Violet, I mostly rely on the Quick and Dusk Balls. The Dusk works really well due to how differently time works in these games. I’m trying to capture the Ruinous Treasures in Master Balls to keep a theme. Other than that I will occasionally use Ultra if the Quick Ball fails and I used a Heal Ball on Pecharunt because I felt like the colors complimented it very well.

I like the Quick Balls because if you're fast enough it is a high chance of a succesful capture. I use it all the time when catching Wild Pokemon to fill my Pokedex in Scarlet and Violet especially after the Part 1 and Part 2 DLC came out.

I go Pokeball ----> Great Ball ----> Ultra Ball ----> Quick Ball Spam.

Once the quick ball is available i negate everything else, unless it fails of course.

Back