• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

Need help with spooky/creepy 'light' sources for exterior furniture

-Blue-

Bells
Pinky
Invader
Blue Hybrid Pansy
Blue Heart Balloon
Baby Chick Easter Egg
I didn't want to make a thread for just this topic, but seeing as the ask questions/faq thread has well over a month of inactivity, I actually want others to see my question.

I'm in the process of making a haunted/spooky area of my island. Just a small part. I worked a lot on turning one of my villager's homes into a abandoned/creepy house. I want to create the feel that the place has been abandoned for 100 years or more. Whenever I look up online for furniture that would work well for a 'light source' it always suggests the spooky set right away. And that's not the look I am trying to go for.

Has anyone made an exterior set-up similar to this? What kind of light sources/furniture did you use to give it that spooky appeal?

how about the tall lantern? you could customize them to mossy to make them look sort of overgrown, to enhance the abandoned vibe. or you could just keep them the default variant, since it looks a bit aged as well.

the bamboo light is small and you can put it behind things so its not that noticable. also the floor lamps can do the same thing...hiding them works great. the tall lantern that xara says is a cool idea too, and if you need them i have some of the kerokerokeroppi lanterns that might look ok if your going for a sort of japanese style *they go with the tall lanterns fairly well but are half their height*.
also for an interior, i have the moraccan sofas in my house and i put the wall mounted candle in the center of each one against the wall so that when you look at the couches *in the dark* the couch center glows. its kinda neat.

how about the tall lantern? you could customize them to mossy to make them look sort of overgrown, to enhance the abandoned vibe. or you could just keep them the default variant, since it looks a bit aged as well.
Oh wow I didn't even know that was a thing! I have a really smaller version of something similar to that, but never cared for how small it was. But the extra height will make it look great. I actually browsed the whole online catalogue and must've missed it lol. Thanks!

the bamboo light is small and you can put it behind things so its not that noticable. also the floor lamps can do the same thing...hiding them works great. the tall lantern that xara says is a cool idea too, and if you need them i have some of the kerokerokeroppi lanterns that might look ok if your going for a sort of japanese style *they go with the tall lanterns fairly well but are half their height*.
also for an interior, i have the moraccan sofas in my house and i put the wall mounted candle in the center of each one against the wall so that when you look at the couches *in the dark* the couch center glows. its kinda neat.
The frog lanterns look really nice. The little faces on the top are cute, but they are so small they probably wouldn't be too noticeable. Thanks for the suggestion! I forgot about the Sanrio villagers. I should be able to invite him to the camp and be able to buy it, but thanks so much for the offer!

That sounds amazing with your inside set up.

if you need tobys items *the frog lanterns etc* and you dont have the amiibo let me know. i will order whatever you want from the series, or the other old amiibos as well.

heres a partial pic of the interior room where i put the candles behind the sofas so you can see what i mean....its subtle but i like it anyways :)

Attachments

• IMG_0295.jpg
    IMG_0295.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 29
The glowing moss set has some creepy vibes and though they're not classified as lanterns/lamps/lights some of the furniture do give off a creepy glow. Try using the glowing moss balloon, boulder, or stool and see if they work for you.

The mush lamp can be customized in different colors.

Also agree about the glowing moss set. Different colors of the balloon and stool could give a cool vibe.

Do you have an idea or rough build of what kind of abandoned room you're doing? I'm a visual creature, lol.
If not, I'll have to scour my HHP homes. At the top of my head, the floral sconce works really well. It has a damaged version and the other colors give a nice soft glowy affect.

Remember this, haha. I used a purple floral sconce juuust out of view over the portrait to give a purple hue. These can be used as your dominant lights but they're really nice as soft glows.
FflCv79aAAAowjy

I really like to utilize the new color lights and dim them down. It really helps create a mood or tone.

if you need tobys items *the frog lanterns etc* and you dont have the amiibo let me know. i will order whatever you want from the series, or the other old amiibos as well.

heres a partial pic of the interior room where i put the candles behind the sofas so you can see what i mean....its subtle but i like it anyways :)
I forgot that you can have the wall items snap into furniture. That's a pretty cool set up! Thanks for the offer, it's appreciated, but I do have the cards.

Do you have an idea or rough build of what kind of abandoned room you're doing? I'm a visual creature, lol.
If not, I'll have to scour my HHP homes. At the top of my head, the floral sconce works really well. It has a damaged version and the other colors give a nice soft glowy affect.

Remember this, haha. I used a purple floral sconce juuust out of view over the portrait to give a purple hue. These can be used as your dominant lights but they're really nice as soft glows.
That's an awesome set up! I really like the portrait. Did you do that yourself with the QR?

I've already decorated the inside of the abandoned building. It's an old haunted library. Think before electricity and running water. It's hidden away in a woodsy area where I planted cedar trees and some decayed trees. I might go back and add some final touches inside, but was mostly trying to find outside light sources to set the ambience, but also seem to be something that would be around such a place. Some of the outside light choices just seem like they would be an odd choice.

I haven't finished the full look outside. It may change, but I have some of the fake art statues. Like the one with the demon/bat wings.

What you all have suggested have given me some really good ideas, so thanks you all!

I've worked on my spooky theme for a while now and am pleased with the results so far. Thanks for everyone who gave me suggestions (I actually took a lot into consideration and used them)

I do have a quick question. Does anyone know if the glowing moss statue glows? Does it glow in the dark? I want it to glow without interaction because it will be somewhere that won't be accessible. So I don't want to have to go on a wild hunt for the DIY if it needs to be interacted with for it to glow or have an animation.

Thank you for any comments/help!

I do have a quick question. Does anyone know if the glowing moss statue glows? Does it glow in the dark? I want it to glow without interaction because it will be somewhere that won't be accessible. So I don't want to have to go on a wild hunt for the DIY if it needs to be interacted with for it to glow or have an animation.

Thank you for any comments/help!
I have the statue outside on my island. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I can certainly check this evening when I play.

I know the fake ancient statue from Redd has glowing eyes, which might work, too.

Oh I never thought about the fake art statue. It's the same size to, that could work if the statue doesn't glow. Thanks for the idea Imbri!

Tumblr_l_724841478828212.jpg

Here's the moss statue and fake ancient statue. The moss one does have a faint glow, but not much.
Tumblr_l_724844343851421.jpg

When you interact with it, so you can see the difference.

Hope that helps.

I know I’m late to the party, but there are also wall mounted neon lights. It’s literally just a bar that lights up And they come in a variety of colors, although only one color per Nook’s Cranny. I think I had blue ones when I bought mine from Nook’s and I went shopping on Nookazon for yellow. I have them outlining the ceiling in my game room.

Back