• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Mysteries of the Monolith - Ended!

I didn't even bother to submit a guess for Round 8. The only ideas I had for it were Sephiroth (who isn't even Nintendo) or either Pit or Dark Pit because of the feathers, but that felt too on the nose and obvious and thus had to be incorrect. I don't know how people do this stuff, I'm looking at the original and the reveal and I still can't really make Serena out in that mess. I probably should just ignore this type of mirror entirely in the future.

Thankfully I'm pretty sure I know this Bonus Round answer.
Or, you know, I guess not. Cool. Great.

I can't believe I changed my mind in the last second.. I was about to put Serena and ended up with Harriet.. 😭

I definitely saw the outline of the skirt so I thought Peach, and Zelda, but that had been done in the past... I ended up submitting Marina somehow (I guess that big head made me think of the octopi!). Definitely kicking myself over the Serena thing

As for this last one, it LOOKS easier but I still don't see it!
I don't know that I'll ever understand any of these mirrors o_O

only one correct answer ?? woow I knew it was difficult but I didn’t realise to that extreme

and now unhelpfully everyone’s finding this easy 😭 i can see so many things in it so maybe I should take two seconds to rub some brain cells together and take a guess

Finally just got it! I didn’t do anything differently, it just clicked. Thank you for our pity, sneaky bonus round! 😍🌟

In the end I managed to get rounds 1-6 correct, and the sneaky bonus round correct. I didn’t manage to figure out either of the two mirrors! I enjoyed all of the puzzles though! Thank you Mistreil and Mick for hosting!

Phew, I managed to get the bonus. It makes me feel better about not solving the Serena round, lol.

I’m going to rant a little, but I just want to get off my chest how I feel and how I struggled. These are my personal thoughts of the last two mirrors (#7 and #8) as I think outlines (#5, #6 and #9) were much, much easier. Rounds 1-4 were great and I really enjoyed myself while doing them, even when #4 required quite a lot of time.

So where to even begin…

1. I felt at disadvantage from the start.
When the question asked is “What Nintendo character is this?” I already feel at disadvantage because I didn’t play many Nintendo IP games, I only know Animal Crossing, Splatoon, some Zelda and a little bit of Mario but really basic stuff.

2. The visibility of the character is ridiculous and the distracting effects are too confusing.
I know it’s probably intended to make things even harder but because of it I took false leads all the time. Time after time I happen to see something new in the image and started searching for fitting character which I didn’t know even existed (it didn’t), looking through different franchises over and over again.

Compared to the mirror from the Tenth Egg Hunt (see the attachments below) these ones here were impossibly harder. Then I could more or less determine the placement of the character, it’s silhouette, colors and that it’s definitely deformed.

Also the second Serena, which supposedly is in the corner of the picture, is in my opinion really low blow in addition to the above.

3. Even if you know the character you need to remember all the little details of it’s appearance.
Because (for me) the silhouette is impossible to spot out correctly even now, the character must be identified by some small random fragment of them, not even with correct colors. And even if I had any idea which fragment is the correct one (as which fragment actually belonging to the character and not being one of added effects), I bet I wouldn’t spot it on some random character I don’t even know while looking though countless of other ones.

4. There was no assurance that the time invested would pay off.
For Rounds 1-4 there was a task to do and at the end there would be a straight answer. But with mirrors (I think outlines count as well) the final outcome wasn’t certain. I felt really disappointed when I looked through and through different characters and couldn’t find the correct one. I regret the time spent on both mirrors.

5. Round 7 was basically a trial who can use the internet resources well enough.
I didn’t figure it out but I was really close thanks to the hints (more specific thanks to the music hint, as for the rest I wasn't sure which text fragments were actually a clue) and I’ve seen they helped other people as well. But if there would be no image at all, the result would probably be the same. The fact that the answer needed to be brute forced, because the image was completely unreadable, is ridiculous.

So to sum it all up I feel like Round 7 and 8 were really confusing and even frustrating, my effort was almost completely fruitless and I regret wasted time. Next time I won’t engage so much in similar activities.

Attachments:
puzzle24.png
1661900526980.gif
1661985680395.gif

I’m going to rant a little, but I just want to get off my chest how I feel and how I struggled. These are my personal thoughts of the last two mirrors (#7 and #8) as I think outlines (#5, #6 and #9) were much, much easier. Rounds 1-4 were great and I really enjoyed myself while doing them, even when #4 required quite a lot of time.

So where to even begin…

1. I felt at disadvantage from the start.
When the question asked is “What Nintendo character is this?” I already feel at disadvantage because I didn’t play many Nintendo IP games, I only know Animal Crossing, Splatoon, some Zelda and a little bit of Mario but really basic stuff.

2. The visibility of the character is ridiculous and the distracting effects are too confusing.
I know it’s probably intended to make things even harder but because of it I took false leads all the time. Time after time I happen to see something new in the image and started searching for fitting character which I didn’t know even existed (it didn’t), looking through different franchises over and over again.

Compared to the mirror from the Tenth Egg Hunt (see the attachments below) these ones here were impossibly harder. Then I could more or less determine the placement of the character, it’s silhouette, colors and that it’s definitely deformed.

Also the second Serena, which supposedly is in the corner of the picture, is in my opinion really low blow in addition to the above.

3. Even if you know the character you need to remember all the little details of it’s appearance.
Because (for me) the silhouette is impossible to spot out correctly even now, the character must be identified by some small random fragment of them, not even with correct colors. And even if I had any idea which fragment is the correct one (as which fragment actually belonging to the character and not being one of added effects), I bet I wouldn’t spot it on some random character I don’t even know while looking though countless of other ones.

4. There was no assurance that the time invested would pay off.
For Rounds 1-4 there was a task to do and at the end there would be a straight answer. But with mirrors (I think outlines count as well) the final outcome wasn’t certain. I felt really disappointed when I looked through and through different characters and couldn’t find the correct one. I regret the time spent on both mirrors.

5. Round 7 was basically a trial who can use the internet resources well enough.
I didn’t figure it out but I was really close thanks to the hints (more specific thanks to the music hint, as for the rest I wasn't sure which text fragments were actually a clue) and I’ve seen they helped other people as well. But if there would be no image at all, the result would probably be the same. The fact that the answer needed to be brute forced, because the image was completely unreadable, is ridiculous.

So to sum it all up I feel like Round 7 and 8 were really confusing and even frustrating, my effort was almost completely fruitless and I regret wasted time. Next time I won’t engage so much in similar activities.

Attachments:
Ngl these before and afters are pretty insane. Congrats to anyone with a brain powerful enough to decrypt them 😂

Finally just got it! I didn’t do anything differently, it just clicked. Thank you for our pity, sneaky bonus round! 😍🌟

In the end I managed to get rounds 1-6 correct, and the sneaky bonus round correct. I didn’t manage to figure out either of the two mirrors! I enjoyed all of the puzzles though! Thank you Mistreil and Mick for hosting!

Yes, huge TY for hosting to Mistreil and Mick. The most challenging tickets to earn, and also the most stressful fun. I really liked how we had different types of puzzles through the event, and while the mirrors are tough, the unlimited guess for redemption code was super helpful.

I think this event permanently broke my brain. Even in this bonus round I’m clueless meanwhile I keep reading people saying they knew right away and that it’s easy 🥲 Looks like I’ll have to start revising Nintendo characters for the future.

Got it!! The amount of psyching myself up to try this one after that serena one was like scraping the bottom of my brain for motivation lmao

As much as everyone complains about the mirrors (I feel like this happens every time there's an event that has them haha), I do have to say - this is the most iconic tbt puzzle type and I wouldn't have it any other way, I love it so much. It has always been so fun (but also soooo difficult) figuring out the mirrors and seeing everyone's posts on the thread, but this time around they were paired with other types of puzzles and it was so refreshing to see, especially the ciphers!! Thank you so much @Mistreil And @Mick for hosting, it was super fun, definitely one of my favourite events of the fair this year :blush:

Back