• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Market Box Raiders

I tend to go back and forth on this particular topic and probably fall closer to the middle because I can see valid points on both sides of the issue. Different people will have different feelings and opinions about different things, and those differing opinions are all equally valid. I feel we should be able to have a friendly exchange of these differing opinions without attacking one another or tearing down the ideas and feelings of those who have an opinion that differs from our own. That said, I agree that it can be very frustrating when a person who is not on your friends list buys out your stock. I feel this is similar to having strong feelings about people who sell villagers they've received from a free adoption service. When your motive for stocking your market box is to help others, it can be hurtful to find out people are using that to turn a personal profit.

On the flip side of that, I understand that many of my friends don't have the time to play Pocket Camp as much as I do, and some of them need to buy out my shop just so they can play and enjoy the game just like everyone else without having to spend the extra time catching the needed bugs and fish. I'm absolutely fine with friends or even strangers (i.e. people not on my friends list) buying out my market if it helps them in some way. By extension, I can see where a friend or stranger who is struggling to get bells, might buy low price items and resell them simply because they don't have as much time to play as other people, and may not have the bells to craft the furniture, clothing, or amenities they need to progress. Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing the motivation behind our friends actions without direct communication. Because of that, I feel we should be more mindful before calling others out publicly for their actions. Also, the person being called out is not given the same opportunity to explain their perspective on the matter unless they are an active member of the forum. Ultimately, I don't see any harm to adding options to give everyone more control over your market boxes, but I hope we can be more mindful about calling someone out publicly or tearing down the opinions of others because we feel those opinions are wrong.

I feel your pain. I list my stuff at the lowest price because I want to help people out when they need items. I'm hoping that when someone desperately needs some fruit or something and they can get it cheap from someone, they remember that and try to be helpful to others too. To me, it's more about sharing and helping out. Usually when someone buys quite a bit from my boxes, they'll send me kudos. So I see it as a "hey thanks, you really helped me out". But I've had one person buy everything before. I don't know if they needed it or just wanted cheap stuff for profit. Its like they're taking advantage of kindness, and preventing others from being able to get items they might need. But part of helping people is, you gotta help everyone, not just the nice people you think deserve it haha. Lately though I haven't had many buyers.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Side note: while some people are being oddly aggressive, I do think this is a really interesting topic on how people view market boxes, and just common game etiquette.

It's interesting how last week a similar topic came up and the general feeling of the thread was to agree that getting wiped out is annoying, and that it's nice to keep a market box well stocked at low prices for your friends.

This week the general consensus seems to be that the stuff is there to be bought. There are definitely two sides.

I'm with Dede. I actively maintain what I consider a decent market box so that my friends know where to come in a pinch. I have carefully cultivated my friend list to only include players who only ever take what they need.

If someone takes everything it can take upto an hour to replenish. If I cannot get anything back from them, and the transaction is not mutually beneficial, this means I have then contributed an hour of my time to someone elses game. In a game which I have invested far to much time in already.

@Dede: I would absolutely love to know what some of my favourites from my friend list are called. If I get time in the week I may try again. Knowing that it is most likely not kanji will probably help me out with that a lot. Haha.

Also, PM me your PC ID if you like: I think our play styles sound compatible.

Edit: I had a quick go... I think the first one I figured out was meriru. With a meaning of "mail" or "feeling of depression".

Wow.

Last edited:
I think everyone's opinion makes sense. I can agree with what others have said. It is just a game and I'm fussing over something that isn't that big of a deal. And yes I do feel terrible for making people feel bad. It wasn't my intention and I feel stupid about it.

However the way I play this game, the same way I play every game, is by helping others. And that's difficult to do when some people just want to help themselves. It happens everywhere. For example you get leechers in MMORPGs who join a party but prefer to sit back, relax and collect loot while other players do all the work. I just wish there was a way to prevent this kind of behaviour in pocket camp that's all.

Anyway I'm glad I could see both sides of the argument. This is probably the most civilised game forum I've come across.

@Sierra: めりる or メリル? Usually when things are written in katakana like the second one, they're trying to imitate and english name or word. So it could be something like Meril. Also PM sent. :)

I have "raided" market boxes. I play the game on a very old tablet. It is slow and laggy. When changing locations there are times when I have made a cup of tea waiting for the new scene to load. Occasionally, when I want to do a round of villager requests, I will raid a box with a lot of variety. I suppose variety more than price is my key interest because that means I only have to load one market box which cuts down on time. Often they are friends or I send a friend request. That is because on a day when the lag is not quite so bad I make a point of watering their flowers, leaving kudos or lending a hand a shovelstrike. I left many of them a lot of golden gothic bats. I saved them up then delivered a large lot at once. I thought it was really sweet that after I delivered a large lot of bats some of my friends either left kudos or watered my garden or bought an item from my market box.

As for what people do with what they buy from my box, I do not check. It would take a lot of time away from my game play waiting for yet another screen to load.

I would also love to know what some of my friends are called. The resolution on my old screen is low (and I probably need new glasses) so I have a hard time telling the names apart. With English it is a little easier because the words are more familiar and easier to understand even if a bit blurred.

Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to make you feel bad Dede, and I apologize if I did. I don't agree with calling someone out on a forum; however, we all make missteps and I know you didn't do it maliciously, so please don't beat yourself up or feel stupid! I was trying to express that I understand your frustrations with this issue, and I feel you have a very valid opinion. I was also trying to express my own frustrations with seeing a fellow member being attacked or shamed for expressing their opinions simply because others feel differently. I've been seeing this quite a bit lately, and it boggles my mind a little. You have an opinion Dede, and I don't feel it's right that others jump down your throat or try to shame you for that opinion because your opinion is different than theirs. I hope that makes more sense now. I do apologize if I added to any stress. Like I said, I don't necessarily agree with posting the user name of the person who bought you out (but I absolutely don't want to make you feel bad about that) but I also don't agree with those who've responded to your thread with the intention to shame you or make you feel bad. Again, I really hope that clears it up a bit. Please don't feel bad Dede! <3

@Dede. The latter. I made up dumb nicknames for my more frequently encountered Japanese friends. Hers, inventively, is XYZ. Thanks for the translation!

I have "raided" market boxes. I play the game on a very old tablet. It is slow and laggy.

I hadn't considered that. I'll keep that in mind next time because there's no doubt other players experience the same thing. Oh how I wish there was a bulletin board of some sort. It's just impossible to tell what everyone's circumstances may be. :(

Also feel free to send me a message too about figuring out Japanese player names. You can even send me a screenshot if you like. :)

Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to make you feel bad Dede, and I apologize if I did. I don't agree with calling someone out on a forum; however, we all make missteps and I know you didn't do it maliciously, so please don't beat yourself up or feel stupid! I was trying to express that I understand your frustrations with this issue, and I feel you have a very valid opinion. I was also trying to express my own frustrations with seeing a fellow member being attacked or shamed for expressing their opinions simply because others feel differently. I've been seeing this quite a bit lately, and it boggles my mind a little. You have an opinion Dede, and I don't feel it's right that others jump down your throat or try to shame you for that opinion because your opinion is different than theirs. I hope that makes more sense now. I do apologize if I added to any stress. Like I said, I don't necessarily agree with posting the user name of the person who bought you out (but I absolutely don't want to make you feel bad about that) but I also don't agree with those who've responded to your thread with the intention to shame you or make you feel bad. Again, I really hope that clears it up a bit. Please don't feel bad Dede! <3

Ohhh! You must be referring to the player in my first post. You're right that was wrong of me. I'll remove his name now. Thanks for all the clarification. It really has put my mind at ease.

@Sierra: You're welcome!

When this subject was posted a week or so ago, I started evaluating all my purchases. I have never cleared anyone out, but when I'm needing lots of stuff and there it is in someone's box, I hesitate before purchasing, but I generally buy what I need. Tiger butterflies, beetles, and all fruit are tough. I can only play 3 times a day, and I'm hunting/helping/fulfilling requests to the best of my ability. I have friended a few people on this forum, and yes, I evaluate every time I purchase something from them.

I resell nothing. With that said, my box is still full of stuff I put in there when I first started playing in November. (some have been purchased lately, but I still have plenty that just sits). Granted, some of the stupid, expensive stuff I deserve to have sit, but cherries? Wish someone would clear me out! lol

I would like to present another perspective, that has just been briefly mentioned: Bad Timing.

So I restock my market box quite regularly. I try to keep about 12 of each item that is asked for by villagers in my inventory and list the rest. Now I am sure that everyone has noticed, that sometimes the games just wants to give us a single creature alot. So an example that happened recently. The creature of choice for me was the Monarch Butterfly. The game decided to give me 27 in a fairly short time (it was the only creature that would spawn in that area). This means that I listed 5 sets in my market box for 3 for 100.

Now, after I did that, then the next round every villiager decided they wanted Monarch Butterflies. By the second island, I was down to 1, but luckily I found a person selling multiple Monarch Butterflies for 3 for 60. I bought all of them.

Now if the person has went and check my market box, then they could have very easily thought that I was buying to purely resell them, which was not the case.

Now granted, it is very hard to tell in this game when that is true. I am sure, as mentioned before, that all of us have had stuff sit in the market box for WAY too long, and that can give the wrong impression to people who are looking purely to see if someone is reselling stuff.

And to be fair, I have reselled stuff in the past, but my view was that both of us were making money. I never viewed the market box to be used in the way that some people in this thread are using it, so I will now have to reconsider how I utilize other people's market box.

But I did want to present another viewpoint, that sometime appearances can be deceiving in trying to decide if someone is just purely reselling your stuff (and yes I know my example was just on one creature, but I have had them perform a rush on 5-7 creatures at one time, which can quickly deplete you, even if you have plenty sitting in your market box at the time).

Anyways, just another viewpoint.

--- Arbra

Last edited:
One other thing I thought of also.

I personally think that the market box has a HORRIBLE interface when trying to go to multiple people (with the screen always refreshing back to the top), so if I can find one person who has everything I need at a reasonable price, then I am going to wipe them out versus trying to spread my purchases among multiple people.

If they change the interface to allow me to go from one person to another without having the screen refresh, then I may consider spreading my purchases out among multiple people to prevent me from wiping someone out.

I believe that the next thing they should do is redesign the market to make it more practical and functional.

tbh my non friends market boxes have better variety of what I actually need than my actual friends but i'll buy 2-4 items max. Just whatever I actually need. But I agreee, we all have that ONE PERSON who will just come along, right after you've filled your market box and will clean it all out.

I agree that the market box system really encourages you to shop from visiting campers and friends. I hope they do make it more easily useable. The other thing I hope they do is to make our campgrounds bigger!

I hope they would make something like this:
If you’re out of some sources you see which of your friends have the items you need in their market boxes

Well, I guess I'm a raider. I thought free market, buy low sell high was, well.... what you do.. I thought everyone was a noob or a kid for such low easy prices. What I find amazing tho is that I get ""raided"" all the time too, except when it happens to me a make a ton of money as I only sell at max.. well I'm off to go raid some more.. million bells doesn't grow on trees ya know ;)

Yesssss!!! I was wondering if anyone else was having this issue! It just annoys me that theu buy EVERYTHING instead of leaving some items for other players. I only put in the market box if I have at least 6 items in pocket, I put half in box and keep half, so it's not like I spend all my time to give items to others, but I still find it rude to buy everything! Regardless of making bells... As I put items up for only 100 bells... I don't need anymore bells so what's the point of putting items up for a high price?

Last edited:
Well, I guess I'm a raider. I thought free market, buy low sell high was, well.... what you do..

I'm not a raider, but I have to agree with this. If your goal in the game is to make bells, there's really nothing wrong with leveraging the market this way. And I don't even like the term "raider" because for me, if someone wanted to buy out my Market Box I'd be delighted. Marv2k is making some people happy and others unhappy. Well...that sounds like capitalism to me! :)

I guess I’m a “raider” then. I don’t mean to be but sometimes I don’t have time to fish or catch bugs so if I see someone with that I buy all their fish and bugs so I can finish up tasks quickly. Sorry if it annoys people though :(

Yep, I guess I'm a raider, too, when I'm running low on certain request items. I wouldn't object to some reserved boxes for friends but since we can't communicate in-game how would you determine contents? There isn't anything thats really difficult to get, its more timing of requests vs inventory. Or are folks talking about reserving for friends IRL? I stock the market when my inventory is full and I want to pick up more fruit, and because I know what its like when you're trying to do that third request and are missing one darn coconut. :) I am kind of bummed we can't sell flowers and crafting materials -- thats where there would probably be some significant price gouging I think.

I was in a hurry earlier today and made someone a ton of bells through lack of coordination -- I had left the game running and when I picked up my phone I must have brushed the screen and ended up buying a single fish for 60k bells. LOL.

Last edited:
Back