• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details!

Lesbian And Gay Couples In Disney And Cartoon Network

Wait...The bible actually does say that?

Is it like:

"Love thy neighbor...Unless it's gay Dave. Screw that guy"
~ God - 3000BC ~

The Bible says that the act of having sex with another man is a sin. It does not say anything about any social aspect or what attitude you should have towards them, which would obviously be overwritten by having to love them anyway. The Bible does not say to hate gays. It also does not saying being attracted to the same gender is a sin either.

Very true, not to mention the old testament is known as the history part of the bible, often cited as outdated and mostly used to bash race and sexuality (passages on slavery and sexuality are prominent in the old testament) The new testament often goes against a lot that is said (rule wise) in the old testament
idk just my two cents

The reason that all the Levitical Laws from the Old Testament don't apply anymore is because when Jesus died it was the ultimate sacrifice for sin, therefore through him you could ask for forgiveness instead of through offering your livestock and following strange laws. Although, the New Testament does also say that the act of homosexuality is a sin.

I was wondering how long it would take before this thread went to hell.
Give it about 2 hours.

Trust me, this thread WILL go to hell.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Seriously guys, I thought we were talking about cousins...now we're talking about religion..

Last edited:
my gay cousins are having sex and it offends my religions

- - - Post Merge - - -

The last thing we need here is a discussion about religion, but I'm an atheist. I love Buddhism and I'm a very spiritual person, but I have no religious faith at all and I think it's complete and utter rubbish. Religion causes more trouble than it's worth and the world would've been a more accepting place had it never existed, in my opinion.

religion isn't the problem, people are

we'd of had this issue surely regardless

I really don't wanna see this thread get locked, 'cause I think it was a pretty interesting discussion before the religious talk got started, so let's just move on. Can anyone else think of appearances of gay characters in mainstream media?

I'm happy about CN's portrayal of Jeff's moms from "Clarence". Clarence is a really good show, and the creators are pushing harder than most to portray families of all types. Clarence's single mother, Sumo's... whatever's going on with him, Jeff's moms, and there was an episode where Clarence's friend's parents got divorced, too. I dunno, sorry to be vague about this, I should probably rewatch some of the episodes. But it makes me really happy.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I really don't wanna see this thread get locked, 'cause I think it was a pretty interesting discussion before the religious talk got started, so let's just move on. Can anyone else think of appearances of gay characters in mainstream media?

Glee, for one. And there's lesbians on Orphan Black. Um... Orange is the New Black. Oscar Martinez from The Office. The gay couple from Modern Family (Cam and someone). Aaah. How mainstream are we talking?

I'm happy about CN's portrayal of Jeff's moms from "Clarence". Clarence is a really good show, and the creators are pushing harder than most to portray families of all types. Clarence's single mother, Sumo's... whatever's going on with him, Jeff's moms, and there was an episode where Clarence's friend's parents got divorced, too. I dunno, sorry to be vague about this, I should probably rewatch some of the episodes. But it makes me really happy.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Glee, for one. And there's lesbians on Orphan Black. Um... Orange is the New Black. Oscar Martinez from The Office. The gay couple from Modern Family (Cam and someone). Aaah. How mainstream are we talking?

Willow, Tara and Kennedy from B:TVS.

I'm actually kind of surprised of Disney Channel because they play "Remember the titans" every once and a while and they always take out the locker-room kiss scene between Gerry and Sunshine.

I really don't want this thread to get locked either.

Off the top of my head, gay characters in mainstream media (TV):
Orange is the New Black (many characters), South Park (Big Gay Al, Mr./Ms. Garrison, and Mr. Slave), Queer as Folk (many characters), Please Like Me (Josh Thomas, and his partners), Little Brittian (Myfanwy, and Daffyd Thomas), Adventure Time (Princess Bubblegum, and Marceline), The Simpsons (Mr. Smithers)

You asked for gay characters but if we include bisexuals:
Orange is the New Black (many characters), The Legend Of Korra (Korra, and Asami), Scrubs (Todd Quinlan), South Park (Stephen Stotch)

Ruby and Sapphire from Steven Universe (Including it because most others have, but both are non-binary thus it's not a lesbian/gay couple.)

isnt gay when ur attracted to same sex
theyre both genderless so idk??

=

any kind of representation is good bc kids will know that being straight isnt considered normal, just more common

isnt gay when ur attracted to same sex
theyre both genderless so idk??

=

any kind of representation is good bc kids will know that being straight isnt considered normal, just more common

We can't be sure of their sex being they're both aliens. That being said they're both feminine representing so I have no issue with people calling them a gay/lesbian couple. It's easier for a lot of people to understand. It's a difficult subject but sexuality is based off a persons gender their sex is pretty much irrelevant. (Example: Cis male attracted to men = Gay. Trans male attracted to men = Gay.)

I agree, I'm am really glad Cartoon Network let the crew do what they did. I was very pleasantly surprised they aired the kiss. I wish there was more media like that when I was younger.

Last edited:
We can't be sure of their sex being they're both aliens. That being said they're both feminine representing so I have no issue with people calling them a gay/lesbian couple. It's easier for a lot of people to understand. It's a difficult subject but sexuality is based off a persons gender their sex is pretty much irrelevant. (Example: Cis male attracted to men = Gay. Trans male attracted to men = Gay.)

I agree, I'm am really glad Cartoon Network let the crew do what they did. I was very pleasantly surprised they aired the kiss. I wish there was more media like that when I was younger.

Because of this, all Gems are inherently sexless and while the species lacks sexual dimorphism, they choose to manifest with feminine physical forms with the only exception thus far being Steven, due to his half human parentage.
and then this

but ya anyways representation is good. also how much u wanna bet that parents who saw it were like 'wow!!!!!!!! theyre such close friends!!!!!!!!!!!!1'

I think it is great that they are being put into childrens movies, in the movie Paranorman I loved how there was Jock type character in there and the sister was hanging off of him and at the end he said to her you will love my boyfriend

Lol I'm actually watching paranorman right now.

I think same-sex, as well as traditional relationships should be treated the same in all types of media; only there when it works within the story, not just there to be there.

The same can be said about certain "under-represented" character types. They should only exist if the story calls for it. Not added only to push an agenda, change public opinion, or to be different from the other guys.

Again, I think this treatment should be applied to all types of relationships, not just same-sex.

I think it's so stupid for some parents to think that seeing gay/lesbian couples on TV would make their children gay ;/

I think it's so stupid for some parents to think that seeing gay/lesbian couples on TV would make their children gay ;/

I second this. It's really dumb. By that logic, I should be straight. I mean I've seen countless hetrosexual couples on TV.

I was falling so hard for Poussey Washington from Orange is the New Black.
She was hilarious, beautiful, and charming. :blush:

I second this. It's really dumb. By that logic, I should be straight. I mean I've seen countless hetrosexual couples on TV.

All I've seen is a lot of straight couples
and I'm gay
So these parents need to learn their math skills if you ask me.

Back