• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!
  • Join us for live Nintendo Trivia today at 6PM EDT in Discord as part of TBT's World Championship 2024 to win points for your team! if justin is awake

Leaving quietly can wipe your save data?

You're welcome! ^-^

Looking back, I got him around April 24 or April 25, which is likely after the 1.2.0 update that was on April 22. I wasn't aware that it was a bug for a while as I thought it was intentional.
It's a minor bug that's for sure. Thankfully, not as bad as wiping save data at least. Though, the solution to correcting the exterior as of the moment is really reinviting them again. Some of the AC hacking community attempted to correct it manually (via hacking) but it's hard-coded to the game, meaning it can't be altered in any way. I'm sorry. 😔

Didnt read all the comments, but leaving quietly via shutting down Switch, and leaving via the airport a la "-" aren't the same thing. Leaving quietly is bad, leaving via "-" is not.

Didnt read all the comments, but leaving quietly via shutting down Switch, and leaving via the airport a la "-" aren't the same thing. Leaving quietly is bad, leaving via "-" is not.
If you're the only islander in a host's island, sure. If you're with people besides you and the host, it has the tendency to force kick everyone out (possibly due to timeout.)

It's starting to show how little they playtested the multiplayer aspects and only focused on local play. It's just awful.
I know I'm replying to an old post but,

Does anyone know if this can also occur over a local session?

I know I'm replying to an old post but,

Does anyone know if this can also occur over a local session?
No reports of it happening, yet, that is. This save data wipe is prominent in online multiplayer.

i think it just resets? earlier frobert as crafting an item and someone did the "-" then he wasnt crafting and we all got sent to the airport. but later on he started to craft the same thing?
This is what's SUPPOSED to happen, but in rare occasions the entire save data corrupts.

There'd be more information and reports of this if It was true

The Japanese twitter was in a ruckus. It calmed down because everyone was alerted with the bug. Also, it's a very rare case. Doesn't happen often like the villager glitch BUT the fact it exists should warrant extreme caution and attention. If you want an ENG player's case, a TBT user recently got their save file wiped which bumped this thread back up. Also, my twitter thread has reported issues of it as well. (Not a lot but there were people who gave testimonies.)

This is more of a lack of documentation from ENG speakers' side than it being a fake.

I hope this resolves soon. Using the minus button is safeguard as well for those who are getting scammed. So far, I did this because I (stupidly) open my island to all my "friends" in my friend list even though I'm only inviting one and thinking that its just proper etiquette not to go to another person island without their permission. I was wrong. 😂 Anyway to make long story short, the minus button is very essential safeguard to the online economy of the game. I do hope we have some more news soon. I don't want anyone to lose their islands.

I hope this resolves soon. Using the minus button is safeguard as well for those who are getting scammed. So far, I did this because I (stupidly) open my island to all my "friends" in my friend list even though I'm only inviting one and thinking that its just proper etiquette not to go to another person island without their permission. I was wrong. 😂 Anyway to make long story short, the minus button is very essential safeguard to the online economy of the game. I do hope we have some more news soon. I don't want anyone to lose their islands.
Idk. The minus button doesn't really have any safety because any damage somebody does to your island when they're there, saves. The only way to truly erase everything someone has done is to cut your internet/put your switch in sleep mode so the game doesn't save.

The minus button doesn't really have any safety because any damage somebody does to your island when they're there, saves.
Perhaps the correct term would be to one of the safety net when it comes to online trading. Doesn't using the minus button save your session unless they leave the island via the airport? Because when I did this, my friend who was getting some flowers from me doesn't have the set of flowers when I kicked her out of the session.

Unfortunately, I don't use online multiplayer often so I have to admit that I only follow some people's advice here. 😂

Edit: I must have confused the minus button with closing the game via the home screen. I get it now. I only just realized that the minus button is a shortcut for leaving the airport so it does save the session. Closing the game via the home screen is what I was talking about. I'm sorry my misinformation. 😂

Last edited:
While I know there was that one instance of a person lying about a fake glitch on Twitter for clout, this one is different as there are several documented instances of it happening, as pointed out above.

This is a pretty severe glitch, so I don't think we should respond with sass or grudges in regards to it.

Using minus causes quiet leaves if someone has a window or conversation open and they don't, or can't, close it before the timer countdown that appears in that scenario reaches zero. This is more likely to happen on public lobbies for stuff like DIYs or turnips.

For those who doubt the credibility of the post (despite the traction the OP tweet) I suggest everyone to see "あつ森 セーブデータ バグ" for themselves. Yes, while there are unreadable tweets because it's JP, the red text should be an indicator.

TBT Thread with this exact problem: https://www.belltreeforums.com/threads/what-happened.527831/

The reason why I'm putting this here is because losing a heavily-invested save is nothing to take lightly about. In some few tweets, this error occurred to some users twice or thrice now.

Being complacent just because of lack of documentation in ENG side is frightening. Let's all be careful and take caution in joining heavy-traffic islands. Always go home via DAL and not push too much if there's communication errors happening. If possible, I wish I could get this more traction (and apologize to the users whose tweets I pulled out of.)

I hope this helps people who are still having troubles or doubting this situation.

Sorry to bother you, Krissi but, if you could pin this or put these in the first page in spoilers, it would be helpful!

Being complacent just because of lack of documentation in ENG side is frightening. Let's all be careful and take caution in joining heavy-traffic islands. Always go home via DAL and not push too much if there's communication errors happening. If possible, I wish I could get this more traction (and apologize to the users whose tweets I pulled out of.)

Perhaps we're just getting really lucky. We (Bell Tree Forums) DID start asking for airport leaves after this thread, so perhaps our caution has helped us reduce the amount of cases in English speaking countries.

Perhaps we're just getting really lucky. We (Bell Tree Forums) DID start asking for airport leaves after this thread, so perhaps out caution has helped us reduce the amount of cases in English speaking countries.
Yeah, that's a relief. I can't imagine the horror if one day you boot up your save only to be corrupted. The JP twitter experiencing it are feeling extremely let down to the point of quitting. It's sad to read the tweets. Some restarted their island twice only to get errors again. I wish there was a way to pinpoint this issue other than stay away from mass multiplayer sessions (i.e turnip runs).

Everyone is clueless about it (EVEN THE JP NINTENDO REPS??) and AC hacking community could only pitch in theories. This is really up to Nintendo's hands to fix this. The fact that it's rare makes it hard for it to be noticed by Nintendo too...

Yeah, that's a relief. I can't imagine the horror if one day you boot up your save only to be corrupted. The JP twitter experiencing it are feeling extremely let down to the point of quitting. It's sad to read the tweets. Some restarted their island twice only to get errors again. I wish there was a way to pinpoint this issue other than stay away from mass multiplayer sessions (i.e turnip runs).

Everyone is clueless about it (EVEN THE JP NINTENDO REPS??) and AC hacking community could only pitch in theories. This is really up to Nintendo's hands to fix this. The fact that it's rare makes it hard for it to be noticed by Nintendo too...

The only thing I can think of is it being a read/write error caused when it rolls back to the previous save causing some sort of error. The community needs to get Nintendo to know about this error because while communities like this can enforce things that (hopefully) prevent it, it isn't something that everyone can do all the time.

For myself, my internet is not the most stable and it doesn't help I'm forced on a WiFi connection that likes to drop occasionally (Trust me, I've suffered far too many of Nintendo's "YOU DEFINITELY DID THAT ON PURPOSE!! TWO HOUR BAN!!" punishments...) and while I'm not entirely sure if a disconnection can cause it, what if it does?

I really don't wanna be known as that guy who's cruddy Internet erased someone's save file.

Back