• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

K-pop Thread!

i guess we'll never know if you don't try and find out. :p

tbh i don't really listen to it myself, but i do like j-pop quite a bit.

hmm... I haven't tried J-pop. Is it any good? I've listened to K-pop.. but I wasn't really a fan.

hmm... I haven't tried J-pop. Is it any good? I've listened to K-pop.. but I wasn't really a fan.

i like it, but i haven't listened to enough to really form a proper opinion i guess? i mainly stick to Perfume, Morning Musume, Flower and Kyary Pamyu Pamyu

i like it, but i haven't listened to enough to really form a proper opinion i guess? i mainly stick to Perfume, Morning Musume, Flower and Kyary Pamyu Pamyu

cool, maybe I'll try it out. I love listening to japanese vs english music.
Now all i have to do is learn japanese so I don't have to keep looking for translations for the lyrics. #struggle

cool, maybe I'll try it out. I love listening to japanese vs english music.
Now all i have to do is learn japanese so I don't have to keep looking for translations for the lyrics. #struggle

hope you find something you like! oooh i've done that before with the KH and KH2 opening songs. haha good luck, japanese is a difficult language to learn, but i heard pimsleur is really good for learning it

Hi there, the exo thing is for these reasons, and SJ has similar things. :) Exo fans have also been known to target SHINee fans, such as pinning blame for things that happened at music shows on shawols, and completely buying out shinee concert tickets, only to sell them back to shawols at ridiculous prices. Plus their whole 'exodus' thing that's happening right now as a way to gloss over the fact two members were bullied into leaving the group :/. But that's more SM's fault than theirs.

I've just read half of it and I'm afraid that fat shaming, colorism, cissexism is not just with their band.

Not aiming this at you dear.

I've glossed over this and my god people are very sensitive. I think there's a certain point where the line needs to be drawn because throwing around accusations like that, over some really minor ****, is extremely detrimental. There are so few allowances that should be given, and really no one gets one, that people need to learn how to differentiate where the problematic areas are. Off-the-cuff comments between friends and actual acts of ignorant oppression are way too often lumped together. The former warrants a talking to, education, and an apology if they're sorry, but not this level of protest. Throw that passion for equality to actual causes and fights that can and do make a stronger form of change.

I... don't see how homophobic, colourist, sexist, cissexist remarks are things that you should just accept in a person? Or that they're minor? I for one, could never be a fan of a grown adult who says such things. :confused:

But then...essentially every group in kpop is guilty of the things listed there? I mean, that doesn't excuse it. It's beyond annoying when Kai or Tao's skin color is poked fun of, but that's sort of the Korean/Asian culture. Are you telling me that SHINee members don't say stuff about Taemin's skin either? I specifically remember a radio interview where (I think it was) Key who made a comment about both Kai and Taemin being dark so they shouldn't say anything about skin color. Taemin also said something about Kai's skin color, calling him the name of a dark, international celebrity.

And even though I love Krishan, as fans we don't know all of the reasons behind their departure. I'm sure SM isn't innocent in this whole debacle, but I don't think Krishan are either. And this is SM we're talking about anyway. Pretty sure most of their groups have had issues with disbanding/members leaving, so it's not really all that crazy. I don't think it's a "cover" for their leaving either. It's been almost a year since Kris left. Luhan left in October. It's been a while. What's left but to move on and show them EXO's still a powerhouse without them?

Oh, and the EXO-L issues. I'll agree with you that a number of EXO-L are...too much to say the least, but why are you taking it out on EXO exactly? Sure some of their fans are bad seeds, but that's not really EXO's fault is it? I actually love both EXO and SHINee and these fan wars are beyond ridiculous.

You can't really excuse racism with it being korean/asian culture... I get what you mean, in that it is particularly rampant there, but so are things like bullying, which go hugely underaddressed compared to western countries - and that doesn't make it okay.

Taemin did something say something like that, you're right and I was hugely pissed off at him >.< However, I think, but don't quote me on this, that he apologised, or least stopped doing that.

Cover was probably the wrong word, what I meant was that they're kind of using the fact that two members left on bad terms, as some sort of promotional thing :/. Like you say, that part is SM's issue though.

The fan wars are ridiculous, I hate the idea of fandoms pitched against each other - it's just silly. I do bring it up bc it is known that exo fans have done this, specifically to shinee fans for some reason? It's so bizarre.

I've just read half of it and I'm afraid that fat shaming, colorism, cissexism is not just with their band.

Nope, I wasn't trying to say that it was! Just that in my view, that they are one of the worst. There are other groups as well that have done sh**ty things, unfortunately enough :(

------------------------------------------------

Help me, I've had 4minute's crazy stuck in my head all day~ Jiyoon is total hair goals tbh.

Last edited:
You can't really excuse racism with it being korean/asian culture... I get what you mean, in that it is particularly rampant there, but so are things like bullying, which go hugely underaddressed compared to western countries - and that doesn't make it okay.

Taemin did something say something like that, you're right and I was hugely pissed off at him >.< However, I think, but don't quote me on this, that he apologised, or least stopped doing that.

Cover was probably the wrong word, what I meant was that they're kind of using the fact that two members left on bad terms, as some sort of promotional thing :/. Like you say, that part is SM's issue though.

The fan wars are ridiculous, I hate the idea of fandoms pitched against each other - it's just silly. I do bring it up bc it is known that exo fans have done this, specifically to shinee fans for some reason? It's so bizarre.

The reason I brought up the cultural debate was not as an excuse for their behavior, but to challenge the fact that you're sort of using EXO as a scapegoat for basically something a large number of people from that culture are guilty of. It's not right. It should be changed. But we have to remember their culture is entirely different from western cultures. Being Asian myself, I kind of see the perspective that...they don't really see that their mentality is offensive or harmful.

If you have the source of when Taemin apologized, I'd like to see it, because I've yet to hear of that. At the end of the day, a lighter skin tone is still ideal in Korean culture, so I'm not so convinced that they've "stopped" that way of thinking.

Also, I don't think SM is REALLY using Krishan's leaving to promote EXODUS. But tbh, even if they are, I don't really see what's wrong with that. It's not really in bad taste imo? And they're the ones who broke off the contract anyway. And you're right, especially with the case of Shawols getting banned at some music show because some rowdy EXO-L claimed they were Shawols. But again, I don't see why you're making it a problem with EXO. Every group has their share of terrible fans.

I didn't articulate well enough, I was merely saying that the examples listed is not enough to call someone homophobic, colorist, cissexist, or sexist. Are the comments they made warranted to be called that? I don't think so because you might as well extend the same treatment to everyone. This is just a case of cultural upbringing that is still stuck in an old viewpoint. Remember they are young and they can still grow and learn. So even if you, yourself holds this against them, I certainly won't.

To add personal experience as a dark-skinned, Asian, homosexual male that has been called everything under the sun, I found that people who live in the Asian/Korean culture have to experience the other side of life. As with a lot of other people. The stigma is deeply ingrained and openminded-ness is more often rarer I'd like. And while it doesn't excuse any offensive remarks or actions, I found that there isn't any malice in it. The movement of identity and equality in Asia is still very young; there are frankly not enough leaders to spearhead and challenge the viewpoints. So for now, allow people to have the opportunity to better themselves.

We will have to agree to disagree on this occasion. I definitely completely agree that this is not something that's exclusive to exo, or k-pop groups it's literally everywhere korea. It is ingrained, and for example xenophobia is particularly rampant in japan. And I realize that they themselves don't necessarily know that what they're saying is harmful, however that doesn't mean it isn't. You could say that about many things, such as western celebrities going around using, just for an example, transphobic slurs - they might not acknowledge or know that they're being hurtful, but they still are.

In my personal time of viewing news and such of most, if not all groups (since about 2009 when I got into k-pop), exo along with super junior have come out as being the most problematic in my view. Again, that's not to say other groups don't make mistakes, but they've either been reprimanded or much more infrequent. So if it seems like I'm using them as a scapegoat for the entire culture, that's not the case at all, as like I say **** happens in everyday korea/asia all the time. Doesn't mean you shouldn't challenge it!

And I am absolutely all for people growing and bettering themselves! I didn't mean to sound as if I'm not. If someone does apologize, or in the future realize what they did/acknowledge it, and tries to improve on that, then it's absolutely fantastic! :blush: I'm only talking about how things currently stand. I couldn't be a fan of someone who currently holds such attitudes/remarks. (Well, I also happen to not like their music either but that's besides the point :p) People always have the opportunity to change! :3

Sidenote: I think countries in asia are very slowly taking baby steps to more open-minded societies. I'm counting on the younger generation! :eek:

- - - Post Merge - - -

Amber and 4minute are my favs right now.
I will marry Amber some day. I will.

Woah! Back off my wife~ :p

I'm not saying it shouldn't be challenged, I just think it's ridiculous that so many anti-fans act as if EXO are the sole culprit and use that reason to justify their dislike for them, when as I've said, that entire culture is guilty of it. Sure, EXO have been "caught" saying it more times than other groups (and suju), but I feel a part of that is due to the fact that they have so many people in their groups as well as their being largely successful. More people will pay more attention to what they say. I also find it a little confusing that you keep repeating that you can't support a group that holds these views while also saying it's ingrained. I'm honestly not cramming EXO down your throat here, because you should be free to dislike whatever you please, but using that reason just comes off as contradicting.

I agree that the lack of intent to harm doesn't change the fact that it does harm, but it's also ethnocentric to treat their culture as if it were similar to our own.

I really like 2NE1 (my most favorite group). Has anyone heard about their comeback?

I'll repost this cause I think you missed it
I haven't heard anything :/ I feel like it's slightly safe to assume they won't have a full comeback again (for a while, at least)... everyone seems to be splitting off and doing their own things. Zero sign of album preparation :c

Back