• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Island Living: A Photo Journal

Island/Town Name
Littlestar
Hemisphere
North
Mira and Fang actually get along pretty well. They're the sort of friends who like insulting each other, though.

Yeah, as I understand it, the AC version of not getting along is actually getting along with a fair and tolerated exchange of insults. This being a family-friendly game and all. 😄

Is that coffee bean in your avatar the one from Stardew Valley? Seeing it makes me want to return to the game! But I'm afraid to. I've already sunk over 1K worth of hours into it. 😅

Yeah, as I understand it, the AC version of not getting along is actually getting along with a fair and tolerated exchange of insults. This being a family-friendly game and all. 😄

Is that coffee bean in your avatar the one from Stardew Valley? Seeing it makes me want to return to the game! But I'm afraid to. I've already sunk over 1K worth of hours into it. 😅
Yeah, it is! I'm not quite that far, but yeah, I get that. ACNH alone already takes more of my time than I should be investing into gaming, lol.

This means I get to see the aurora borealis tonight!? YES!? OMG I CAN'T WAIT! Seeing the northern lights was on my travel list for many years. Whilst I've travelled to many countries and seen many amazing sights, including the pyramids in Egypt and the Great Wall in China, I've never ventured to a country where I could see the northern lights. I'm in my 50s now. I don't do well when I travel in winter. The cold gets to me. So that's one thing on my list I won't get to do. I'm so looking forward to seeing the lights in the sky in my game tonight! 😃
dec17-ray1.jpg

dec17-ray2.jpg

In other news, Sherb wanted to go on an adventure, so he'll be leaving my island. Since it's so close to Christmas, we threw an early party for Sherb with Claude and Deli, who are his fellow lazy friends. 🎁⛄🎉
dec17-sherb1-b.jpg

Today, Lolly gave me her photo! I wasn't expecting it so soon. 😃 This is probably the quickest photo I've received. Lolly moved in on Nov 25, so it's been less than a month. I must say this too: I love Lolly. I've said before that I don't like the normal personality in New Horizons because it feels too bland. That's why I've let other normal animals leave, including Goldie and Coco. I don't know what's changed. But I really enjoy seeing Lolly around. She seems more forthcoming than other normals I've had and interacts a lot more with my other residents. I'm really glad I feel a connection with Lolly. She's a keeper. 💕
dec20-lolly.jpg

Now for other news. After Sherb left, I was ready to scour mystery islands for my next resident. Isabelle announced we had a camper. It was Diana. I... wasn't keen on another deer. Fuchsia is my island's MVP. She's all the deer I need. So I actually did go island hopping. But after 15 tickets or so, I still had not found anyone I wanted to invite. I returned and played a game with Diana and won, so she's here. As to how well we'll get along, only time will tell. She does look cute with glasses when she reads. 🤓
dec20-diana1.jpg

Decorating isn't a major reason why I enjoy playing this game. So once I've decorated all the rooms in my player's house, that's it, I'm unlikely to re-decorate. I'm not a creative decorator or anything. I just fill all my rooms with lots of warm colours and tones. Wood-anything and bookshelves make me unseasonably happy! 😊
dec20-home7-tile.jpg

In other news, the Japanese Nintendo website now has a time-limited event where you can use AC-themed holiday frames for your in-game screenshots or even real-life photos! I made a forum thread with instructions, in case you're worried about not being able to read Japanese. Go and have fun! 🥳

These days when I play, I try to do things differently, just to see different dialogue or to see if the result is something I've never seen before. So when Raymond ran up to me excitedly, and said he has a new nick for me and asked if I wanted to know what it was, I said no. (Which I've never said to any of my islanders before.) I think he was... just the teeniest, weeniest, littlest bit salty about my lack of enthusiasm. 😆
dec23-ray.jpg

I did feel bad about it. But! For science! I must continue to do things differently and make new discoveries! 🤓

Ooh, I had fun on Toy Day! Running around distributing Santa's presents for Jingle, and then exchanging gifts with all my islanders. I received 13 presents in total (because I'd received 3 from my residents while giving them Santa's gifts) and I was stoked to realize that the toys within were all colour variations of what was sold in Nook's Cranny! No duplicates! Nintendo was thoughtful this time around. For players like me who don't trade (anymore), this is a happy surprise. 🥳🎁
dec24-ray-tile.jpg

Rolf and Wolfgang, my two long-time cranky residents, were singing together at the Christmas tree in the plaza. As usual, in my excitement, I took too many screenshots! Here's a ridiculously over-edited version. Have a safe and memorable Christmas, everyone! May your day be filled with smiles and good vibes! ❤😁
dec24-crankies-bb.jpg

Wolfgang was in a somber kind of mood this morning.
dec27-wg.jpg

But I get what he means. Whenever I look at my son, who turned 27 just 3 weeks ago, I'm always awed-sad-amazed at how time has flown. I mean, I still recall the day of his birth like it'd happened yesterday! 🤪 Then I look into the mirror and think, yeah, time has flown all right. 😩 2020 is a different matter though. It has been a bumpy year. And that would've been the understatement of the decade. I want to put 2020 behind me but, as I'm a cynic at heart, I'm not sure the future is bright. Still, there's no way but onward, so we all need to do that. One day at a time, Wolfgang, one day at a time. 😑

Now that I've collected all the DIY recipes, I don't need to stress over making my snowmen perfect! I want big-headed ones. For the rest of the season, I will make only big-headed snowmen. They are such fun to make! 😄
dec28-oops.jpg

It was way back in June, when I first posted a screenshot of the atlas moth in the museum and explained why it mattered to me. Here's another, almost identical snap, but this time my player character can take a proper photo of it! I'm just feeling nostalgic, as the year draws to an end. It's funny how some experiences stay with you for the rest of your life. The 365 project was a 12-month long commitment to take and post a photo a day. I eventually made a book of my snapshots. Now and then, I take it out and look at it, and I remember exactly where in the mangrove forest or park I'd shot this curious jumping spider, those mating tiger moths or that elusive changeable lizard. I learned so much on that journey. If age (and a bad back) hadn't caught up, I'd do it again.
dec28-m1.jpg

At the stroke of midnight, this crazy explosion of excitement and colour took my breath away! Wow! 🎆😆🎉
ny4-b.jpg

A new year, a fresh start! Here's wishing everyone a healthy and safe New Year filled with happy surprises! 😊🥳
ny8-b.jpg

First day of the new year! First camper! 😮
jan1-reneigh.jpg

I wanted Reneigh to move in. So we played the games. Finally, I won. She went to Resident Services, said someone was looking to move, how about Rolf. I was, like, what? My Rolf? Nope. But before I could hit the main menu button to close the game, the game saved! 😬 I made a few more attempts. Maybe I was mistaken? Nope. Rolf has been locked in to move. 😭 My first day of the new year, my first camper, and my first cranky to move out. This is not goodbye forever, Rolf! I love you! We'll meet again someday! 🥺
rolf3-b-tile-b2.jpg

Thank you for all the happy memories! ❤

Have I mentioned that Wolfgang is our island's Most Voracious Reader? I think I have. Just a few hundred times before. Today, he was everywhere with his book, trying to find the most conducive spot for a bit of reading. 🤨📖
jan3-wg2-b-tile.jpg

Today's Diana's birthday! I popped in bright and early and found dear sweet Lolly already celebrating with her snooty neighbour. We danced and laughed and had ourselves a proper little birthday party. 🎂 🎉
jan4-bday1-b.jpg

Welp, that makes two of us, Raymond! 😛 The fishing in Stardew Valley remains as difficult as I remember it. I jumped right back into the game with the 1.5 content update. Started over, playing it vanilla, without any modding, having a blast. Fishing is great. I've already maxed out my fishing skill. But some fish are so jittery, it makes you want to smack something to smithereens with your fishing rod. Is my rage showing? Lingcod, for instance. Octopuses. And then the legendary fishes, wow, some of them are a whole new level of ooh-yeah-i-need-more-pain-in-my-life-right-this-instant-give-it-to-me-PUH-LEEZE. 😬😆 I love Stardew. ❤
jan5-ray-fishing.jpg

Back