• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

Is Happy Home Designer a free download?

Flyffel

Bells
Smash Ball
Smash Ball
Crown Trophy
Smash Ball
Smash Ball
Aurora Sky
Aurora Sky
Aurora Sky
Aurora Sky
Aurora Sky
What do you think?

To me it seems like it pretty much has to be a free download title, but they didn't mention that it's free in the Direct which is pretty suspicious.

I can't justify paying more than 2? for this if it also requires Amiibo cards in order to play it.

How much would you pay for it?

There's no way to know for sure yet, but my impression that is the game will be free but essentially useless without the cards. You pay for the game through buying the cards.

I don't think it will be free; it'll cost money to buy/download it but it'll probably be a small price I'm guessing?? I'm not really sure though.

There's no way to know for sure yet, but my impression that is the game will be free but essentially useless without the cards. You pay for the game through buying the cards.

I hope not. The cards are essentially amiibo, right? There hasn't been a game (so far) that required amiibo to play. But this could be the first one, who knows... personally, I'd prefer to pay for the game upfront and have the full experience, then have the option to buy the cards for further gameplay (if that makes any sense at all).

I'd be happy if it was like Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. (Spin-off of a full game with lots of levels [or in this case, houses to design] at a somewhat reduced price).

As of now, we don't know.

They need to show off more of the game before we can decide a price for it.

But I think it would be like Captain Toad, a reduced price compared to any other 3DS game.

I hope not. The cards are essentially amiibo, right? There hasn't been a game (so far) that required amiibo to play. But this could be the first one, who knows... personally, I'd prefer to pay for the game upfront and have the full experience, then have the option to buy the cards for further gameplay (if that makes any sense at all).

I'd be happy if it was like Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. (Spin-off of a full game with lots of levels [or in this case, houses to design] at a somewhat reduced price).

Well, my reasoning here comes from the wording of the PR released for the game:

Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer: This new game in the Animal Crossing series focuses on the decorating and home-designing aspects of the Animal Crossing games. Animals will ask players to design houses for them, and it’s up to designers-in-the-making to meet the animals’ requests by furnishing and decorating their homes. By tapping a new Animal Crossing series amiibo card to the New Nintendo 3DS XL system or NFC reader/writer accessory, players can design a room for that specific character on the card and scan additional character cards to invite those characters to visit. Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer will launch this fall.

As far as I can tell, the entire point of the game is to meet the villager requests by decorating your home. This sounds like you can't get villagers/requests without scanning an amiibo card.

It sounds like a small little game. I wouldn't pay too much for it. Especially if it's a small game. I doubt it'll be the price of a full game...it shouldn't.

Well, my reasoning here comes from the wording of the PR released for the game:

As far as I can tell, the entire point of the game is to meet the villager requests by decorating your home. This sounds like you can't get villagers/requests without scanning an amiibo card.

Ah, I hadn't seen that, thanks for posting it.

I'm not quite sure how to interpret it to be honest - while the way they explain the process makes it sounds like you have to tap an amiibo card to design a room, the phrase "players can design a room for that specific character on the card" makes it seem like you can design certain characters without cards, but if you want a specific character, you can use the card.

Hopefully Nintendo elaborates closer to the release date - until then, it's all speculation. (Unless other regions/languages explain more clearly?)

I'm not sure, seems like a lot of info is to be announced

I wouldn't expect the game to be as expensive as a regular 3DS game because of the amiibo card add-ons, but it will probably cost some amount of money.

Perhaps it'll be sold for rather cheap and come with a few cards to start you off then you go about and buy more?

I was going to say, there was NO way that I would pay too much for it, if at all as it is. It does really look like a desperate marketing scheme, where everyone is still trying to jump on the sucess of the skylanders series where kids were paying hundreds of pounds to finish a pretty mediocre game if I'm honest but idk. (Don't hit me)

Maybe they'll make the game a bit deeper than just pushing furniture around a room, even if it is to collect some form of achievement.

I thought it was just like a spin off title, but not full retail price, like captain toad, and the villagers would just be random, but the amiibo cards would allow you to pick which villager instead of it being random

I thought it was just like a spin off title, but not full retail price, like captain toad, and the villagers would just be random, but the amiibo cards would allow you to pick which villager instead of it being random

Yeah, I had this in mind as well.

I would say as far as companies this will be a full price game, come with a few cards, then if you want more villagers buy the scanner and keep buying buying cards to get more villager homes done and have every one...I think it will be quite expensive...not to be syndicalism but why else would they have you buy all character cards and extra equipment. Cashing in on wanting to see certain villagers or all...I'd say full price plus tons of cards and maybe a scanner.

I think not what I'd like but average game price and cheaper on the card packs, but adding together how many packs the packs could be more than game price all together depending on how many come with game itself but with such a large number hopefully they will have it easy to get ordered packs or choose between a full pack and a few broken down ones...I assume the game comes with the same initial maybe 10-25 cards at least 5 then series packs...but it's really all guessing at this point. Am just happy there is something new, but it isn't large enough to distract too much from new leaf play which is probably the point as that is full game and still selling. That in mind game could be cheap or reg with many cards...or cheap and the card pack releases are where the money is made.
As someone who likes to have in full all at once, I would forget it and move on if they waited to long to release new cards as I would want to just buy all I would need and be done not waiting for pack release dates, that would make me probably forget keeping up with it at all after the initial set.

Back