• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

Is ACNH dying?

I think a lot of people only stick with a game like AC for about a year. So, this is the end of its lifespan for many people.

Then you have the people who just love the game or drift in and out of it for several years before getting bored with it.

The same thing happened with New Leaf.

However, AC always has a good community n people playing it. You just have to find them through sites like this one.

I think a lot of people only stick with a game like AC for about a year. So, this is the end of its lifespan for many people.

Then you have the people who just love the game or drift in and out of it for several years before getting bored with it.

The same thing happened with New Leaf.

However, AC always has a good community n people playing it. You just have to find them through sites like this one.

As much as I love the series, after I played my first island for almost a full year and catching everything in the Critterpedia and not really being able to do much with my island's design I decided to take a small break and restart, but I've one problem.

That problem? Monster Hunter Rise came out, lol.

I think the game had great success during launch, and even though 80/90% of those buyers don't play this game anymore, Nintendo still made crazy money from it. As others have said its completely natural for people to lose interest in a game over time, and its amazing that ACNH did keep players playing the game daily for as long as they did.

However I think the fact that Nintendo is still updating the game and wants to put out more content for at least another year is kind of ridiculous. They seem to be under this illusion that each update they put out is drawing more players back in to the game, when in reality based on what I've been reading online, its pushing people out. The new updates suck frankly, especially the 2021ones, and don't do enough to entice majority of their fans who stopped playing to pick up the game again, and seem to further anger current fans who are desperately hoping for more than one new feature per update. What they really should have done is, instead of sporadic updates with only half an hour or less of new content, saved all these small updates and release a huge update a year from now (kind of like the amiibo update in New Leaf) that has a plethora of new events, gameplay, QOL upgrades, and more. THAT would get players back into ACNH since it would be more than just "let me buy this new seasonal item, put it in my house, then dip." I mean, just imagine if there were no updates last year or this year, and then next spring they release a huge 2 year anniversary update with Redd, Leif, Gullivaar, Pascal, diving, art, nook cranny upgrades, Kapp'n's island, farming with at least 10 crops, new QOL life updates, new villagers, new DIYs and new furniture. People would flock back to the game so fast lol.

They seem to be under this illusion that each update they put out is drawing more players back in to the game, when in reality based on what I've been reading online, its pushing people out
I dont mean to be rude to anyone
But frankly if anyone is against small updates adding new items, then they deserve to be laughed at.
Its pathetic how some people react to getting new items. They act like it's not enough.

I would not blame nintendo if they never did free updates again based on how awful some people are about them

But frankly if anyone is against small updates adding new items, then they deserve to be laughed at.
Its pathetic how some people react to getting new items. They act like it's not enough.

I would not blame nintendo if they never did free updates again based on how awful some people are about them

No one deserves to be laughed at. Bullying or disrespect of any form of different opinions is one against the rules and two unacceptable. I recall you said you had no problem with people who dislike the game or updates, yet I find this as well as many of your other posts extremely disrespectful.

Yeah the frequent update plan seems to be very unsuccessful, I think mostly because people hype themselves up too much and expect a lot only to be sorely disappointed.

As for being against the small updates, I think one of the reasons people are rejecting them (including myself) is because they aren't interested in the new items being released, and the new events take less than 20 minutes to complete. I don't think that is "pathetic," just people expecting more from a franchise that use to wow them in the past. Somewhat of a side note, but I still wonder why Nintendo doesn't incorporate furniture and designs from Pocket Camp that were well loved into this game.

No one deserves to be laughed at. Bullying or disrespect of any form of different opinions is one against the rules and two unacceptable. I recall you said you had no problem with people who dislike the game or updates, yet I find this as well as many of your other posts extremely disrespectful.
I'm not against people disliking things.
I honestly think it's fine for people to do so.

But when it comes to stuff like free updates, which is free, and only gives to the player, then I find it very hard to have any respect for those who are against it.

I just dont get how anyone can get something for free, and then complain it's not up to their standards.

Not liking it I get. Complaining I don't at all.
Its just so far beyond me when people have an attitude that they deserve so much more.

Perhaps I could be more respectful, but to me, to get something for free... if you spit it back in the person's face and berate them for it... yeah I don't like them as people

I'm not against people disliking things.
I honestly think it's fine for people to do so.

But when it comes to stuff like free updates, which is free, and only gives to the player, then I find it very hard to have any respect for those who are against it.

I just dont get how anyone can get something for free, and then complain it's not up to their standards.

Not liking it I get. Complaining I don't at all.
Its just so far beyond me when people have an attitude that they deserve so much more.

Perhaps I could be more respectful, but to me, to get something for free... if you spit it back in the person's face and berate them for it... yeah I don't like them as people

I paid around $60 to play ACNH (plus continue to pay the online membership to play with others) so its not like I'm getting all this content for free. I am holding Nintendo to a certain standard because of it, and when I don't like something in their game, I have a right to complain about it.

I paid around $60 to play ACNH, so its not like I'm getting all this content for free. I am holding Nintendo to a certain standard because of it, and when I don't like something in their game, I have a right to complain about it.
I cant disagree with that.
I only wish people would understand that what they want isn't what everyone wants. And that to lots of people this is a near perfect game.

So to me its all about attitude.
If you want something else that's fair. But it doesn't mean the game is objectively bad.

This is getting out of hand. Why is it so hard for everyone just to accept that not everyone is going to see things the same way?

The game's popularity is definitely dying from when it began. Nintendo brought the game out at the right time and capitalized on the pandemic. People who would never had gotten this game did so because of the situation and lockdown. Social media also hyped up this game way more then any of the other Animal Crossing titles ever and possibly combined.

There are so many people who are probably long gone and have their game collecting dust and never to see the light. I do Civil War reenactments. When the movie Gettysburg came out, the Gettysburg anniversary for that year was huge. So many people just bought all the gear, uniforms, and whatnot. Did the one event and never participated in another one. That was many many years before I got into reenacting. I wish I was there or could see an event as big as that one. It was probably amazing seeing 40,000 some soldiers. It probably looked like a real battle.

Same thing applies to NH. They're 'fans' but only so much as it was the newest fad. So the fame died down, but it's not dead. The game still has like 3 more years of shell-life possibly.

This is getting out of hand. Why is it so hard for everyone just to accept that not everyone is going to see things the same way?

The game's popularity is definitely dying from when it began. Nintendo brought the game out at the right time and capitalized on the pandemic. People who would never had gotten this game did so because of the situation and lockdown. Social media also hyped up this game way more then any of the other Animal Crossing titles ever and possibly combined.

There are so many people who are probably long gone and have their game collecting dust and never to see the light. I do Civil War reenactments. When the movie Gettysburg came out, the Gettysburg anniversary for that year was huge. So many people just bought all the gear, uniforms, and whatnot. Did the one event and never participated in another one. That was many many years before I got into reenacting. I wish I was there or could see an event as big as that one. It was probably amazing seeing 40,000 some soldiers. It probably looked like a real battle.

Same thing applies to NH. They're 'fans' but only so much as it was the newest fad. So the fame died down, but it
If this is somewhat about my comments then I agree I've been a grumpy jerk.
It just annoys me when people talk like their negative opinions are a matter of fact.

Its totally cool to not like the game.
I just wish more people would also respect the fact there is still a game there that people love. So while it's not what they wanted, to others it is great.

I cant disagree with that.
I only wish people would understand that what they want isn't what everyone wants. And that to lots of people this is a near perfect game.

So to me its all about attitude.
If you want something else that's fair. But it doesn't mean the game is objectively bad.
Exactly, people want different things and have different opinions, all of which are valid. Therefore its wrong to say that anyone who thinks the free updates are trash is "pathetic." Not long after ACNH was announced, Nintendo said they would be releasing a base version of the game March 2020, and then promised "at least 2 years" of content updates, which would be included in the ~$60 release price. Personally I am not satisfied with the quality of these updates, and like to express my opinions about why online. That doesn't make me pathetic, nor should you "lose respect" for me either. Some people love this game, other people hate it, but neither opinion is "wrong." It's entirely subjective.

Exactly, people want different things and have different opinions, all of which are valid. Therefore its wrong of you to say that anyone who thinks the free updates are trash is "pathetic." Not long after ACNH was announced, Nintendo said they would be releasing a base version of the game March 2020, and then promised "at least 2 years" of content updates, which would be included in the ~$60 release price. Personally I am not satisfied with the quality of these updates, and like to express my opinions about why online. That doesn't make me pathetic, nor should you "lose respect" for me either. Some people love this game, other people hate it, but neither opinion is "wrong." It's entirely subjective.
I was too harsh there and I'm sorry.
I get fed up of seeing such things and I did lash out.

Its just that in the past, people would like a game or not like it. They would then move on.
But because of the updates, people seem to be holding nintendo to a standard of whatever it is they personally want. And they then complain when they dont get it.

But from my point of view, the game is already great and the updates are the cherry on top of the cake.

So when people complain that their free stuff isn't what they want... it doesn't feel like it comes from a place of mutual respect.

Exactly, people want different things and have different opinions, all of which are valid. Therefore its wrong of you to say that anyone who thinks the free updates are trash is "pathetic." Not long after ACNH was announced, Nintendo said they would be releasing a base version of the game March 2020, and then promised "at least 2 years" of content updates, which would be included in the ~$60 release price. Personally I am not satisfied with the quality of these updates, and like to express my opinions about why online. That doesn't make me pathetic, nor should you "lose respect" for me either. Some people love this game, other people hate it, but neither opinion is "wrong." It's entirely subjective.
Is there an article or something about Nintendo/the NH crew stating they planned on releasing a base version of the game? I don't recall ever seeing something like that, but I have heard them mention 'planning updates for 2-3 years' Not that I'm discrediting you. I'm just curious, as I hadn't heard that.

Moritz, not that I'm discrediting you either, but I haven't seen anyone who voiced their concerns of the game (either casually or harshly) attacking members who praised/defended the game. Most times I see it happening the other way around. Now I don't go into every topic, so it's possible that I don't catch it all.

I was too harsh there and I'm sorry.
I get fed up of seeing such things and I did lash out.

Its just that in the past, people would like a game or not like it. They would then move on.
But because of the updates, people seem to be holding nintendo to a standard of whatever it is they personally want. And they then complain when they dont get it.

But from my point of view, the game is already great and the updates are the cherry on top of the cake.

So when people complain that their free stuff isn't what they want... it doesn't feel like it comes from a place of mutual respect.
I get that, and I agree with you in that I think the reason why people keep talking about it is because of the updates. As you said, just when people are trying to move on from the game, Nintendo releases a new ACNH trailer and people watch it and either say they love it or hate it. I can see how that can be frustrating since most of the time people are repeating the same thing over and over. From my point of view this is because most updates haven't really added much substance to the game, whether it be new events or items.

Is there an article or something about Nintendo/the NH crew stating they planned on releasing a base version of the game? I don't recall ever seeing something like that, but I have heard them mention 'planning updates for 2-3 years' Not that I'm discrediting you. I'm just curious, as I hadn't heard that.

Moritz, not that I'm discrediting you either, but I haven't seen anyone who voiced their concerns of the game (either casually or harshly) attacking members who praised/defended the game. Most times I see it happening the other way around. Now I don't go into every topic, so it's possible that I don't catch it all.
I will admit fully that I've never seen anyone attack anyone for being happy about the game.
Its just that seeing so much negativity can really weigh down on you. Or at least it does me.

I guess I am a bit emotionally weak, but I come here because I'm happy. And then when I see people complaining that their free gift wasn't enough, it drags my mood down a lot.

Maybe it's a me issue.
I'm fully aware that lockdown has caused issues for me and maybe I'm taking it out on the wrong people.

All I know is, what I liked as a happy space gets changed to negative so easily purely because of free stuff and I just don't get it

No worries, I think I read that on this website somewhere back in December 2019/early 2020 or something? Not sure exactly about the date, but it was when it was the idea of frequent updates was first announced, and people on TBTF were expressing concern and saying things like "are we just getting an unfinished game" etc, so I don't know if Nintendo themselves said they were releasing a base version, or if people online just used that wording to represent the game we were getting in March 2020.

I get that, and I agree with you in that I think the reason why people keep talking about it is because of the updates. As you said, just when people are trying to move on from the game, Nintendo releases a new ACNH trailer and people watch it and either say they love it or hate it. I can see how that can be frustrating since most of the time people are repeating the same thing over and over. From my point of view this is because most updates haven't really added much substance to the game, whether it be new events or items.
I wish I could agree that you're right but I've legit seen complaints that Nintendo didn't release a trailer for this update.
I just dont get it any more
I think just new items are cool

I wish I could agree that you're right but I've legit seen complaints that Nintendo didn't release a trailer for this update.
I just dont get it any more
I think just new items are cool
New items are cool, and I'm glad there are people like you who are enjoying them and the new updates. Personally I just think Nintendo could be doing better, but like I said I'm happy there are people out there who are satisfied with ACNH as it is. I'm by no means trying to say that everyone must think the recent updates suck, but I'm just trying to explain why I think they suck (or why I think others think they suck), ya kno

Also for the record I do like this game lol, I just think that compared to all the other life/farming sims out there, ACNH had a lot of potential that the developers missed out on.

Is ACNH dying? No.

Unless Nintendo has officially stopped giving it support and the sales have significantly dropped, then yes.

Most of the reasons for the game "dying" are personal observations and are entirely subjective.

Back