• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

Does anybody feel like this?

lol If 80% of people have a mental illness, doesn't that make the other 20% (the minority) the abnormal ones?

A lot of people have the same coping mechanism, even I cope by playing games (not just AC) and it feels odd to admit because it feels like I'm admitting to weakness but eh. My other coping mechanism is to sleep ^^
It's also a better coping mechanism than drugs or alcohol.

Whenever people make remarks about you playing any sort of game, ask them how long they spend watching TV or Netflix and then point out that at least your brain is active and you're being creative and not just switching your brain off and watching mindless drivel all night.
The key is not to get defensive, but just use their own insecurities as fuel. It doesn't matter if you agree with what you say, it only matters that you get to them.

Either way, once you're out of school, you likely won't interact with those people ever again unless you choose to.

Edit: ?Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.?

- C.S. Lewis

Words to live by, I'm a generally silly person and get called childish a lot. It gets old very quick.

Last edited:
lol If 80% of people have a mental illness, doesn't that make the other 20% (the minority) the abnormal ones?

A lot of people have the same coping mechanism, even I cope by playing games (not just AC) and it feels odd to admit because it feels like I'm admitting to weakness but eh. My other coping mechanism is to sleep ^^

Whenever people make remarks about you playing any sort of game, ask them how long they spend watching TV or Netflix and then point out that at least your brain is active and you're being creative and not just switching your brain off and watching mindless drivel all night.
The key is not to get defensive, but just use their own insecurities as fuel. It doesn't matter if you agree with what you say, it only matters that you get to them.

Either way, once you're out of school, you likely won't interact with those people ever again unless you choose to.

Hahah, I was exaggerating, I don't know the actual number. x) I think it's pretty safe to say most people do whether they recognize it or not though; sad but true. And good advice, Lhasa. uvu

Don't worry, you aren't the only one ~
I wont self-diagnose because I might be wrong, but my parents wont let me see a therapist. I absolutely loathe my life at the moment. My school isn't helping at all, my family could care less, and most of all.. I have a weak heart and lungs. (pulmonary hypertension). I cant even run for my life. I know my life could get worse, but I don't know if I can hold any longer.

Yet ACNL had never failed to make me smile. The simple and cheery dialogue lifted my spirits, if you were to see me play ACNL, you would think I've gone to lalaland because im so smiley xD ACNL certainly is an escape and this is the very reason why I am always on TBT ^^

Holy crap, that reminds me.

My own mother even complains to me sometimes about how much I play AC... She says it's stupid and that "it's just a game, it can't make you feel better!" and that sort of stuff. Italian mother... You'd understand if you were Italian.

Either way, it makes me feel even worse since my own mother doesn't really even approve of it. When I tell her, "Would you rather me sit in the house and play Animal Crossing on a Saturday night, or have me go out with people I barely know and party and drink alcohol and do drugs?" and she just shuts up for a day or so and then gets back on my case about it.

There are far worse things I can be doing... I just think it's stupid how she gets on my case about playing "too many video games" when I could be doing what the majority of girls my age are doing at my school: getting pregnant. :/

I've seen a lot of people say similar things. It doesn't help much for me, but it's great that it does for other people. I do find some of the sounds in the game to be really calming though. Sometimes I'll just lay in my main room next to my Merlions and listen to the water running and it always relaxes me. Some of the things the villagers say to me make me feel happy too, even if it is just a game.

My own mother even complains to me sometimes about how much I play AC... She says it's stupid and that "it's just a game, it can't make you feel better!" and that sort of stuff. Italian mother... You'd understand if you were Italian.

Either way, it makes me feel even worse since my own mother doesn't really even approve of it. When I tell her, "Would you rather me sit in the house and play Animal Crossing on a Saturday night, or have me go out with people I barely know and party and drink alcohol and do drugs?" and she just shuts up for a day or so and then gets back on my case about it.

There are far worse things I can be doing... I just think it's stupid how she gets on my case about playing "too many video games" when I could be doing what the majority of girls my age are doing at my school: getting pregnant. :/

People blame what they don't understand. I'm sorry your mother is like that. My parents used to be, but they've had a solid understanding of my mental illness for a long time now and don't question it at all.

Unfortunately, your mother will probably always be on you about it unless someone shoves reality in her face. But you already know how to shut her up and tune her out, and you already know that she's wrong. It sucks not having her support, but it's good that you recognize who's right.

Never feel bad or ashamed for liking something! I've always found playing AC (and in particular watering flowers) to be incredibly therapeutic. I was diagnosed with BPD several years ago and out of all the methods I've used to feel better playing AC has always been the most calming, so you aren't alone with finding the game helps with IRL issues.

well, shoot, my father takes away my ds when he sees me playing.. but then gives it back the next day >.<

You're definitely not alone. I was in the same boat as you three years ago (both school-wise and diagnosis-wise), and even way back in middle school, Animal Crossing helped me through a lot and continues to do so today. I'm sorry that you've been bullied by such close-minded, awful people. Just keep reminding to yourself that you will never have to deal with them again once you graduate, and that people who have to bring others down in order to feel good about themselves don't deserve the time of day. I know that it's not easy to ignore them, and I'm sorry that your mother isn't being supportive either, but know that you have a wonderful community here at BTF and people here who can support you. You're clearly not a needle in the haystack!

I actually had a similar experience as yours'! My self-esteem in real life isn't the best, and I found that it even extended into NL when choosing what clothes my character wears. I tried wearing some fancy dresses (which I would never wear in real life) and kept thinking, "This looks so weird on! I don't like it. I don't feel comfortable in this. I probably look really silly!" even though it wasn't "me" and I was just looking at an avatar. But then I had my villagers compliment my clothes and say things like, "Your fashions are always fantastic!" and I ended up getting used to wearing them, and it genuinely made me feel happy! So don't feel embarrassed. Your feelings are totally valid, and I think it's great that you've figured out some coping strategies!

If you ever want to rant about school or need someone to talk to, my PM box is open. Don't sell yourself short! Junior year is hard stuff, and you've done great to make it this far. You're almost at the end of the year! :)

I'm in this same situation right now. I bring my DS to school since I have about 40 minutes to kill before class actually starts... Whenever I pull it out, somebody (some friends, some strangers) comes up to me and calls me a name or says I'm a nerd because I'm playing Animal Crossing. It makes me really self conscious about playing the game in public because it's not a typical game you see people playing in public... At least in my school.

I'm now 27, and I have some advice for you.

I've been in your shoes. When I was in high school, I was bullied, picked on, made fun of, called nerd/geek/dork/etc, and sure it bothered me for a little while. Yeah, I did the same as you...I'd take my then GBA to school and play it in a few of my classes after lessons/work was done (the cool teachers didnt mind! ^^) and sometimes others would pick on me about it. I was a gamer then, and I am still a gamer. I game whenever I get a spare moment for the same reason as you: an escape. Gaming at school did lead me to meet a few other people who were really cool who were also gamers, so it worked out. Anyway, to put it simply, the people who pick on you....are jealous of you. They are trying to find a way to make you feel inferior so they feel better about themselves. Usually they have messed up lives, and are just looking for an out. Also, don't sweat anything in high school. Afterwards, you will 9 times out of 10 NEVER see anyone from there again, so why should what they say or think matter to you? From my experience High School is just a huge popularity contest. And a contest no one gives a flip about later, as it doesnt matter whatsoever.

Focus on your studies, do your thing, and graduate! Don't let ANYONE bring you down. Just shrug them off. Do what makes you happy.

I think it's just hard for a lot of people to understand the appeal of a game like this. My mother is exactly the same, I've spent way too long trying to explain to her how happy I am that a pixel animal I've been looking for is now moving in to my pixel town... she just doesn't get it! Imagine how much worse it is when you're both reliant on going out and drinking etc and playing a "kids" game. Then again, maybe I've just reached some perfect balance between the two C:

Really the best thing you can do is do better than everyone else.
My 'friend' at school was always picking at how I never did my homework and that I'll never get a good job.

There she was, treating school almost like it was a religion, and now she works in a care home.
A job she never wanted and with no aspirations to do anything else.
While I'm in training to be an animator, with the opportunity of promotions and 22k a year on the base level.

Not to stomp on those who do work in a care home though, it's a tough and important job and certainly not one I could do.

Or another 'friend' who just got pregnant and dropped out of school, still jeers at me in the street if she sees me lol
Point out she doesn't know who the father is and that's the end of that.

Everyone has their sore spots.

Last edited:
I have (diagnosed) clinical depression and general anxiety and you're not alone, though it may seem like it (despite evidence to the contrary).

Actually, after figuring out meds and therapy/counseling (and based on my experience of treatment), the first thing that pops out of the mental health personnel I've worked with is making sure you find something that reduces your depression or distracts you. So don't feel too bad!

I'm a year older than MikeJ777 (28). S/he's completely on point. As I've aged, the more I've noticed some people really have absolutely no idea who they are or are completely miserable about themselves. Instead of figuring it out or uprooting the more poisonous parts of themselves and replanting something healthier, they make other people feel like ****.

Keep doing things that you like! Cos it's what YOU like.

It goes without saying now that you aren't alone after the response this thread has gotten, but I'm going to add my two cents anyway. I'm 26, I've played animal crossing since I was in the 7th or 8th grade, I can't remember. I've had people make fun of me for playing Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Zelda, you name it. Pokemon was the big one for me. It was either being laughed at or told I shouldn't be playing it because it was "devil worship" because "some Pokemon have horns". Don't ask, I'm from the rural Southern United States.

I don't know that I have clinical depression or anxiety, but I do know I go through spells of being extremely sad or very anxious. Animal Crossing is extremely relaxing and a way to escape and focus on an attainable goal. For me personally, I find it satisfying because it is a world I have almost total control over which is not true of the world at large. Fortunately for me in high school, I was in Band and Choir with a whole lot of other "nerds". I remember spending an assembly or two hiding out in the Band Room playing Wild World over local wireless and bashing each other's heads with the net.

Animal Crossing is great for stuff like that. Don't let other people get you down. I can also personally testify that most of the people that were jerks to me in high school haven't had an easy time of it in the real world. Many divorces, one I know of is in prison for extortion, the list goes on. I haven't seen any of them very much.

There are people out there just like you. You never know, you could have a goofy music teacher who plays Animal Crossing on her lunch break. The reaction I get from students when they find out I play video games is always priceless because A. I'm an adult B. I'm female. I wish I could tell you what to do about the bullying, but I'm afraid I'd go on a 3 hour long tangent about how flawed the system (at least he ones I have experience with) is in regards to bullying.

All I can do is tell you something I've learned as an adult that brings me a bit of comfort. Whenever I see someone being cruel or mean, I don't feel sad for myself or angry at the person, I simply pity them. I may be sad or angry at first, but in the end people are cruel because they are either raised that way or because they are sad little human beings who can't find a more civilized way of making themselves feel better.

When I'm depressed I can't do anything at all. My mind/body shuts down and I can't even play animal crossing. I feel like **** and the only thing I can bring myself to do is lie down and hope I can fall asleep. But on a normal day I play animal crossing to distract myself from real life problems for sure.

I know how you feel. I feel like the animal characters in this game are more polite and cordial than real-life people sometimes.

You're definitely not alone, as you can see from all of the wonderful replies that you're getting.

I just wanted to say that I also find the game to be an effective coping mechanism. I suffer from severe social anxiety, and am only now starting to interact with others. Animal Crossing is a place for me to feel like I'm in control, where I can be social without the fear of being judged or mocked.
Sure, the animals aren't real, nor are our conversations, but it impacts my real life; I'm becoming a bit more confident, and have found that it's something I can talk to other about.

Animal Crossing is a very peaceful place, and a very friendly one; Nintendo has (knowingly or not) created a sanctuary for those with illnesses of all kinds.

Also, don't worry about bullies; there's a good 90% chance that once you graduate, you'll never see any of them again. Cope in the short term by knowing that it isn't going to be a long term issue.

Back