• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

Do you lock the bathroom door?

Do you lock the bathroom door?

• Always.

Votes: 98 44.1%
  • Never.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Only at home.

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Only when not at home.

Votes: 90 40.5%
  • Magical fifth option.

Votes: 21 9.5%

• Total voters
I don’t because my bathroom is upstairs and it’s inside my bedroom. my parents never go upstairs. If we had guests over then I would lock it, but normally there’s no risk of someone walking in.

I never lock the door. I just don't feel the need I guess. Closing the door is sufficient to signal that the bathroom is being used. If I was at someone else's house or in public I would lock the door because someone might come in otherwise.

if i'm using my own, personal bathroom i tend to not lock it, esp. if i'm just going to be in there a few seconds. tho in public i def lock. (though i gen don't like using public bathrooms anyway for a multitude of reasons...)

also, imagine only locking the door when you're at home, wtf.

I only lock it when not at my house. Funny story, but someone on my most recent train trip was using the bathroom and didn’t lock it. I open the door because it was in the unlocked position, and the person inside was going insane. I don’t know why someone wouldn’t lock the bathroom in public, and freak out when someone walks in. That’s pretty much their fault. I forgot about that moment pretty quickly… People really need to lock the doors in public though. They can’t expect someone to not come in, especially when the door is stated to be “unlocked.” You can’t be too careful now, so obviously I always lock when not at my house.

I voted for "only when not at home". There is no need to use the lock in my own home.

Sometimes I don't use it though. When I was younger I had the bathroom lock break on me on two separate occasions when I was visiting someone else's house, so I had to yell and wait until someone could take the door handle apart so I could get out. So since then I have always been a bit careful with locks, especially old or dodgy looking ones at people's private homes. Honestly at that point, if you don't want to walk in on people, just get your lock fixed...

Oops! I meant to pick "only when I'm not at home" instead of "when I'm at home". Only when I'm at a public restroom do I ever lock the bathroom door.

l always do because it feels safer that way because you may never know when someone is about to open the door on you as you're doing personal stuff like going to the bathroom. My mom is pretty rude with the lock thing because if you don't lock that door, she will just open it up even when she knows you're in there.

Sometimes I lock the bathroom door, although 100% of the time when there's guests in the house

I lock the door whenever there is a lock. However, my bathroom doesn't have a lock for some reason.
That’s nothing, lmao. In one of my apartments, my bathroom didn’t even have a door. I always had to yell at my dad and say “I’m using the bathroom” to prevent from getting walked in on, seeing that the toilet was right next to where the door would’ve been. The landlord didn’t want to install a door unfortunately.

We don't have a lock at home, kinda weird but our house is setup in a way where everybody knows if the bathroom is on use technically.

Only when I'm not at home.
At home, I usually have the door open tbh lol (I live with my fiancé)
When I'm visiting my mom, I have the door closed, but usually don't lock it.

I used to always lock the bathroom door regardless however now that I live alone, I don't lock it and sometimes I don't even close the door because the quality of cheaper apartments in South Korea is pretty poor (more expensive ones are fine) and my friend who moved into my old apartment got stuck in the bathroom for hours because something in the handle rusted so bad that it broke and she couldn't open the door. She had to use a bobby pin to unscrew the nails.

I only lock it if I have my 2 year old with me, so that he can't open it somehow and get out. He has a medical condition and can't walk, so I usually have to carry him with me everywhere in the house and if he opened the door somehow and crawled out, it'd be a bad day.

Back