• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

childhood online computer games? (club penguin, webkinz, etc)

freezypop

Awaiting AC Switch
Bells
Switch
3955-1050-0141
Hi! So when I was little I was super into sitting at my old family computer and playing those online games like club penguin or webkinz. I was wondering if anyone else used to spend a lot of time playing these, if anyone made friends on them, or just good memories associated with these types of games. My favorite was a game called PetPet Park; it was like a spinoff of Neopets, I think. I remember when me and my best friend would meet up in the little worlds and dress up/ decorate our houses. I had a few early internet friends too, there was a girl who's username was like Swittymoo or something and also a girl named Bethany:)

I played Webkinz every day for probably five years. I had three accounts and around seventy pets between those three accounts. I was totally obsessed and even got my mom into it. Back then (we're talking 2008?) the game was so popular that local stores would have "Webkinz Day" where you could go to the store and play games to win Webkinz and Webkinz-related products (charm bracelets, lip balm, notebooks, etc.) My mom and I would go together and she would participate in the activities just as excitedly as I did lol. So I have pretty fond memories of Webkinz.

I also played Bearville, Club Penguin, and Poptropica pretty regularly. I occasionally played on Beanie Babies and Groovygirls.com

Oh my gosh, I can vaguely remember that there was a game (or website even?) you could play online by typing in codes. If I recall correctly, you can obtain those codes through Kinder chocolate eggs. I still remember the time when my mother typed in SO many codes for me to play on the computer. :)

Does anyone remember that stick figure Sim game where you could get absolutely smashed at the bar or die by cancer from cigarettes?

I played a lot of computer games growing up. Started with Neopets. I played Runescape (and still do...), Webkinz, etc

After I started playing Club Penguin, I made pretty much everyone I knew play it. I was obsessed with it for years.
I had membership nearly all the time and I made sure I used it. I had everything color of puffle (or all of the ones available at the time. I think they added a rainbow one later? I only played up until the brown one was added), got tons of seasonal igloos (a jack-o-lantern, a snowglobe, one with an outside lawn with 4-leaf clovers, there was a lot of good stuff), and I played way too much Card-Jitsu (and if it was any surprise I bought plenty of the irl cards, and I still have my collection of them. In-game I finished the regular version, Fire, and Water. Ice released after I stopped playing and I never got to see what it was like, rip). Good stuff.

I tried some other games like Webkinz (I think?) but they never held my interest long.

I played a lot of computer games. I think the first online one i really stuck with was secretbuilders in 2009. I ran into a glitch on the picasso minigame you could play and after finishing i got millions of coins. There was also that time where you could buy anything from the shop without spending any coins and it didnt get patched for quite a while. It was an awful game but its somehow even worse now. There was also roblox in 2010 and i still play that, but only because i want to relive glimpses of what that game used to be. Moshi monsters was the first game where my mom allowed me to buy membership, i was ecstatic as hell. My favourite was toontown, i think i started to play that in 2011. I also played a lot of adventure quest worlds, but looking back it wasnt very fun.

- - - Post Merge - - -

One time on club penguin i waddled to the corner and did a crying/upset emote over and over because i selected safe chat and didnt know how to chat freely. Penguins came up to me and were like "Why. Why are u crying" and i couldnt answer. They got annoyed and waddled away. This time i was not crying in game, but outside of the game, irl, instead

Last edited:
I played Webkinz for a good while until I got interested in something else and just completely forgot about it somehow.
Kinda lame how the account just expires if you don't add another pet for a certain period of time.
I did quite enjoy it, but I played it around the time they started making things money that wasn't before.
I played Neopets for a tiny bit too, but I couldn't ever get into it since I never paid for anything, so my pet was always miserable.

Last edited:
i only really got suuuuper into Neopets that i eventually got into hacking with it. i used to play other sites that were similar like MaraPets or a cheap site called Chibifriends lol. i also remember playing GaiaOnline too

I think at one point I was playing Street Fighter Online (browser based) a lot during middle school. Also Defend Your Castle if that counts I think.

I played Club Penguin like NO OTHER. I played daily from 2008 - 2014, was a member for the majority of that time, ran a semi-successful blog (this is hardcore embarrassing and I never tell anyone about this), had like EVERY item I could possibly obtain. I went hard on this game for so long. I miss the game for nostalgia’s sake, but I stopped playing after 2014 and don’t think I could play it even if it did still exist.

Mostly I miss having that much free time, I suppose.

I rotated through several mmo's, mostly based on my old favorite ones shutting down :( I can't remember what my first one was, and I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread. It's been so long, if you asked me to describe it, I couldn't tell you anything. Oh well, I guess it's truly lost to time. Here's a somewhat chronological list of when I STARTED playing games:
1. Barbiegirls. Other than the one I forgot, this was one of my first, along with the below game. There was a special zone where this was this genie girl, and little me had a MASSIVE crush on her back in the day without knowing. It's really a shame it's dead now.
2. PIXIE HOLLOW ONLINE!!! This was one of my first and definitely my all time favorite of the mmos I played as a small kid. The gameplay was relatively entertaining, with you exploring the map and playing minigames respective to the areas they were in, but what really pulled me in was the artwork and atmosphere the game had. It was an incredibly visually pleasing game, and having cute fairies was really the icing on top of the cake. My sister and I made a youtube channel for pixie hollow back in the day. We both shared an account at first, but then she got her own. We both had memberships for the whole time we played on our grandpa's clunky desktop. I really can't express my love for this game enough, and I'm still sad that disney pulled the plug on it. I bet that it would still be popular today with kids!
3. Movie Star Planet. I never really liked this "game" that much, but I liked spending my mom's money on getting new clothes for my character. The site is STILL incredibly slow, and I don't know why parents let their kids spend so much money on it. I'm surprised it's still up to this day. MSP is my least favorite of all the games I played.
4. FreeRealms!!! This game was REALLY all over the place. It's basically World Of Warcraft, for children. Sadly, this one is dead too, because the devs actually cared about it but "no longer had the resources to maintain it's servers", which still makes me feel somber. This was my 2nd favorite from this list. I don't know if what I remember is true, but I used to be so astounded at how big and varied the map was, with so many different zones and atmospheres. The combat was pretty dull and repetitive, but I was more obsessed with the visuals and customization of the game. You could do so much in freerealms, from exploring other peoples houses, dungeon crawling, mining for money, I can't even remember it all! Seriously, this game gets so much love from me. There's a project dubbed FreeRealms Sunrise, that even has a discord, that makes it's objective reviving the game for free, but I doubt that it will ever work. The servers need money to be maintained. Anyways, FreeRealms was amazing and I really miss it.

That's all I can really remember right now, oops. I forgot the names of the other ones I played, seeing as the ones I forgot were from smaller companies and didn't have large playerbases.

I played a lot of these growing up but Club Penguin was for sure my favorite lol. I don't remember a lot, but I remember how I'd always get a membership for my birthday or other special occasions. xD And how one year I suggested for them to do a fair sort of thing... and the next time fall rolled around, there was a Fall Fair. :p As a kid I was so certain that I alone made it happen HAHA.

There was also GaiaOnline, AWOLnow (literally nobody played this), Webkinz, and Tinierme... AWOLnow was another game that stuck with me. I met one of my best friends on it (although we've sadly drifted away now :c) but she inspired me to start drawing! I feel like I owe a lot to these games for molding me into who I am today.

I played a lot of computer games. I think the first online one i really stuck with was secretbuilders in 2009.
You made me remember! The predecessor to secretbuilders was dizzywood, and that was my first mmo. I really loved dizzywood, despite it being pretty bland, but I was a small kid, so I was amazed by anything in front of me that moved. Dizzywood is now dead, of course, and got replaced by secretbuilders, which I was massively dissapointed with.
I also played moshi monsters! It was towards the end of my time with kids mmos, but it was really fun while it lasted. The main draw of the game is it's cute monsters, and that's really about it. I didn't like how "flat" and unvaried the game felt.
There was this other game I played towards the end, called ourworld. It was just a cash cow, really. The most fun part was customizing your character, and in order to get any clothes outside the extremely limited free pool, you had to cough up money. There was no real gameplay at all, besides just a few boring minigames. It was fun to meet and mess with people, though.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I played a lot of these growing up but Club Penguin was for sure my favorite lol. I don't remember a lot, but I remember how I'd always get a membership for my birthday or other special occasions. xD And how one year I suggested for them to do a fair sort of thing... and the next time fall rolled around, there was a Fall Fair. :p As a kid I was so certain that I alone made it happen HAHA.

There was also GaiaOnline, AWOLnow (literally nobody played this), Webkinz, and Tinierme... AWOLnow was another game that stuck with me. I met one of my best friends on it (although we've sadly drifted away now :c) but she inspired me to start drawing! I feel like I owe a lot to these games for molding me into who I am today.

Wow, you have a sizeable list but I've never played any of these games (or at least, gotten into them).

i was such an ungodly deep in animal jam kid. i had a blog and merch and everything. by merch, i mean the FIRST merch, this was before it became mainstream. so i guess i'm a furry hipster now
i was pretty into club penguin too, i had a bunch of toys, books, and the cards.
before either of those, however, i collected webkinz and played the game online. i also played this weird obscure bootleg webkinz for marine animals for a week back in the day??
seapals_plush.jpg
seapalsworld_tour.jpg

Oh boy, here we go.

I loved club penguin so much, especially the Christmas parties, those were my favorite. I am still so sad it shut down, but at least Club Penguin Rewritten is still active. Poptropica and Stardoll were also good.

I used to be totally obsessed with OurWorld and Habbo Hotel.

I used to always beg my mum to buy me the clothes on Ourworld and i would always ask for Habbo club pack. Could never really afford it, but she would always try her best to make me happy.

Looking back on these games makes me feel really nostalgic, as i spent most of my teen life playing these games. They brought me so much joy as a young whippersnapper, i'd love to go back to my accounts and see how they have changed over the years :)

Back