Celebrating Diversity 2022: Villager Design Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
All entries submitted up until this point have been accepted and the balloon collectibles are now available for purchase in the shop! 🎈

Remember to keep checking back and voting for your favourites as more entries come in to help determine which six lucky users will win the 600 bell prize!

057FDBC1-27E2-4E7A-8672-BD735C280D3E.jpeg

🌼 Villager Name: Buttercup
🌼 Villager Species: Duck
🌼 Villager Personality: Normal
🌼 Villager Catchphrase: „peachy“
🌼 Skill: Green thumb
🌼 Goal: Florist
🌼 Favourite song: Café K.K.

🌼 How this villager represents me:

Buttercup is softspoken and introverted and loves to take care of her flower garden. She usually keeps to herself, as loud and large groups of people exhaust her. Because of her quiet voice she often gets interrupted or talked over so she prefers listening to people instead of talking. Unfortunately, her sense of direction is abysmal so she tends to get lost easily whenever she does leave her garden sanctuary. Buttecup is near-sighted and enjoys picknicks, reading and playing games.

Buttercup’s colour palette (green - pink - yellow) is my favourite colour combination. The subtle hints of orange and green are also representative of ADHD and mental health awareness. I’m part of the LGBTQ+ community so of course I had to include a rainbow in the background ^^ my family and husband often lovingly tease that I resemble a duck whenever I walk downhill and I relate to their clumsy and slightly awkward demeanour. Ducks are adorable so I don’t mind the comparison.

Oh and the yellow violets are there simply because I like them. 🦆

BF1-B47-AB-4-D59-4-F65-8454-057112-A4-DB7-C.png

Villager Name: Taihei
Villager Species: Cub
Villager Personality: Lazy
Villager Catchphrase: That’s sweet!

How this villager represents me:
Taihei, whose name translates to Peace or Serenity really reflects what we all seek to have including myself. I chose to do a cub because of my love for wild mammals and specifically baby mammals. It also represents the volunteer work I do in wildlife rehabilitation. Right now I am mainly working with and feeding babies. I chose to give her a more teddy bear like style to symbolize my inner child and carefreeness. As you can see she has some patches on her where she was once torn. Like myself, I have been through a lot of traumas and struggles, but like Taihei here, I patch myself up and do my best to keep going. I went with lazy for my love of food and nap. She’s accented with some sparkles to reflect the shine we have and give to the world. She’s holding a heart shaped balloon and I think she plans to release the balloon. The heart represents love and releasing the balloon relates to how I try to send love to everyone. She also has a bow, a cute gingham shirt, and loves all things cute and pink because, well, we’re cute!

TBT Celebrating Diversity 2022.png
🌸 Villager Name: Haruko
🌸 Villager Species: Hamster
🌸 Villager Personality: Peppy
🌸 Villager Catchphrase: "Fiend!"
🌸 Gender: Female
🌸 Favorite Song: Spring Blossoms
🌸 Photo quote: "If you make others suffer, you shall know no mercy from my blade!"
🌸 Initial Clothes: Blossoming Kimono
🌸 Home Request: A zen garden
🌸 Skill: The art of swordplay
🌸 Goal: Warrior
🌸 Coffee: black, surprisingly!
🌸 Birthday: May 15th (Taurus)

🌸 How this villager represents me:

When you look at Haruko, a name that means, "child of the sun" what is your first impression? With the markings of a panda bear and a fondness for nature and all things pink, especially cherry blossom trees, one may assume she's but a quiet, gentle little bear cub, but don't let appearances fool you! She is, in fact, a hamster. And not only that, but she has the heart and spirit of a warrior, a warrior who wants to protect everyone and everything she loves. Like the sun, Haruko wants to rise and cast her radiance so that she may bring a smile to all and fill one's heart with hope. With sword in paw, she demonstrates elegance and skill, but even so she is very sweet, fun-loving, a bit hasty, and can't contain her joy when surrounded by the orchestra of spring!

Now, when you look at me, what is your first impression? "Well, she's Hispanic and seems pretty quiet and dull, therefore she has no personality." But you judge me before you get to know me, and so how do you know the real me? Stick around, I'm full of surprises! I enjoy talking with others about all sorts of things, I love to learn about culture and languages, and believe it or not, I can bring a smile to people, too, which sometimes surprises even me. We all have our own special ways of making people smile and feel good about themselves, and I want to be the kind of person one can open their heart to. I may have my moments where I keep to myself and seem uninterested, but if there's anything that truly helps the inner me blossom, it's animals, nature, music, art, writing, and tons more! You just have to get to know me and you'll see I can be a fun, sunny person, too!

39gQIgL.png

Villager Name: Arachna
Villager Species: Spider
Villager Personality: Normal
Villager Catchphrase: Ice cream
Her catchphrase is "ice cream" for two reasons. The first is because her main color scheme comes from mint chocolate chip ice cream. The second reason is because "ice cream" sounds like "I scream", and a lot of people are scared of spiders and may scream when they see one.

Autism: Arachna has a couple of elements referencing autism in her design. The first is her hairpin, which is a rainbow infinity sign. This symbol is commonly used to represent neurodiversity and autism. This is also why I've made her dress rainbow colored. I've made the rainbows more pastel though, simply because I prefer pastel colors.
Bisexuality: Arachna's chelicerae are the colors of the bisexual flag. The sprinkle-like marks on her hands and feet are also meant to be more pastel versions of the bisexual colors. I thought of making her chelicerae more pastel as well, but I decided that it's better for the chelicerae to stand out a bit. One of my favorite jumping spiders, the bold jumping spider, has green chelicerae that stand out against its black and white coloring.
Mint chocolate chip: Apparently some people hate mint chocolate chip ice cream, but I love it. Therefore I decided to make Arachna's main color scheme be based on the flavor. She's mostly mint green with flecks of brown.
Eyes: I tried to make her eyes a bluish gray color, similar to my own. I actually used to not like my eye color. My mom, dad, and brother all have really blue eyes, so I thought of it as though their eyes were like a clear blue sky while mine were like a stormy sky filled with clouds. I wished my eyes were like theirs. As time went on though, there were times when people would compliment my eyes specifically even though I was with at least one of my family members. As I grew up I started to like my eye color more thanks to those compliments.
Spider: Why a spider? I've actually always liked spiders. In kindergarten we had a tarantula as our class pet, and I was fascinated by it. It's also fun when you see a spider you haven't seen before and get to try to identify it by googling its features. That's actually how I found out about the bold jumping spider I mentioned above. There was just this little spider with cool green chelicerae chilling in my house one day.

UvWKl3w.png
tt0DeyX.png

(Left: Scaled up version for details. Right: actual file size.)
(I received Mod permission to post both versions!)

🪡- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- Villager Name: Cotton -

-
Villager Species: Sheep (Unverified) -

-
Villager Personality: Smug -

-
Villager Catchphrase: Baa-ller! -

🪡 - - -
How this villager represents me - - - - - -

Cotton is a soft plush sheep (?) that is prone to accidental tears and broken stitches since they aren't made of very durable materials. Sometimes they have to rest and patch things up for a while. Due to this Cotton is always moving at their own pace, but no matter how slow that ends up being they still push on. As of yet nothing has been able to keep them down and Cotton is determined to keep going until the last stitch.​

6A43B6BF-C59F-4E52-9B85-5ED985FE5D68.jpeg

name: tempest (meaning: stormy, turbulent)
species: deer
personality: cranky
catchphrase: “oh, word?”
home request: a homely sanctuary filled with lights, plushies and patchwork items
skill: making people laugh
goal: author
favourite song: k.k. birthday
picture quote: “your feelings are valid.”

how this villager represents you: like me, tempest is a hard soul to describe. she has all the characteristics of your typical deer (or anxious human); timid, modest and quick to run away the moment she senses danger might be near, but she also has a temperament akin to her parents’. she has walked on eggshells all her life, and as a result, people now have to walk on eggshells around her; she’s standoffish, pessimistic, and quick to pick a fight when she’s feeling overwhelmed or insecure. she uses colourful aesthetics and personas and a green funny-smelling plant to make her seem happier and better than she actually is — and also because she genuinely likes them. her zipper mouth represents how i keep my thoughts and feelings to myself in order to avoid conflict and/or embarrassment, and because i don’t feel like they matter. i also have a slight speech impediment and anxiety/social anxiety, and all that encourages me to keep my mouth shut even more.

but good and bad exist simultaneously, and for every bad trait, there’s also plenty of good — she’s open-minded, supportive, funny, interesting and so much more. she’ll be the first to tell you that your feelings are valid even though she doesn’t feel the same about her own, and she cherishes making people laugh. her ailments and flaws have helped shape her into who she is, but they don’t define her - and neither do mine. 💜

tempest’s design had actually been bouncing around in my head for a while now, so thanks for giving me the opportunity (and motivation lol) to finally bring it to life. thanks again for another event, and good luck to everyone else! <3

also, this isn’t really me coming back from my hiatus — i just want a balloon lmao.

villagerentry.png

Villager Name: Wilkins
Villager Species: duck
Villager Personality: Cranky
Villager Catchphrase: "pardon me"

I actually have Autism/Asperger's and I thought I would make a villager based on my life having Asperger's and my interests: old cartoons and history.

A duck villager who has a hyper-fixation over a certain field of interest. A villager who spends most of the time drawing and delving into History. He struggles with socializing with people sometimes, he just wanted to find others with the same interests as he does. He prefers honesty and the content of the character. Despite his "Cranky" personality, deep inside he wanted to make friends yet he's afraid that he wouldn't connect well with others outside his circle. He opens up to ones who were genuinely interested in making friends with him. Most of the time, he barely talks or tried to strike a conversation with people outside his comfort zone. He had few friends but he keeps in touch with them sometimes.

He likes old fashioned clothes, and he likes to wear them. He decorates his house with old elegant furniture but he likes new technology, he has a Nintendo Switch and a computer. He also likes collecting things and puts dedication onto things he finds passion whether it would be video games, making art, or old stories. He enjoys old cartoons a lot and have a small DVD collection full of it. He also enjoys painting, regardless of medium. Most of the time, he finds happiness in his interests and hobbies.

Lenore.png

Villager Name: Lenore
Villager Species: Bird (specifically a Raven)
Villager Personality: Normal
Villager Catchphrase: Nevermore

Lenore is a shy, reclusive, introverted villager just like myself. She prefers to be away from the crowds, sitting alone in a peaceful spot with a good book. Poetry is her favorite. She has often been called morbid because she loves graveyards and the occult. She is fascinated in learning about the psychology of serial killers and writing about death. This scares others who do not understand her, but despite those interests she is a sweet, kind, caring individual who is loyal to her friends and loved ones forevermore.

Lenore's name, species, and catchphrase of 'Nevermore' all come from the poem The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe. Poe is one of my favorite authors so it was only natural to use his work as the inspiration for a villager to represent myself. The main color of Lenore's feathers is black in keeping with a traditional raven, but she has small touches of purple on the tips of her wings. Her eyes are also purple and her beak and claws are grey. One of my favorite color combinations is black and purple. She is wearing a ruffled dress in purple because I also love gothic fashion.

moss.png

Villager Name: moss
Villager Species: cat
Villager Personality: normal
Villager Catchphrase: seedling

i chose a cat because ive always related to them. i have anxiety and can be cautious about new situations and just interacting with people especially strangers, but i also can be strong when i need to. cats also remind me of a mix of curious, clever, and also sometimes clumsy, which i relate to. i added some four leaf clovers on moss because ive always felt like ive had a little bit of luck throughout my life. i wanted to add the large freckles to moss bc i also have a lot of freckles and moles. ive dealt with some insecurity surrounding them my whole life, especially since i only get more as i age. now i think they are alright and kind of cool and ive been trying to think of them in a more positive way, so i wanted to include them in the design. i chose the normal personality because i relate to those villagers the most. they just want to enjoy a simple and happy life and share those memories with loved ones, and i feel the same. i added a poisonous mushroom on their head because ive struggled with mental illness for much of my life, but i also think my experience has added a lot to who ive become and i think the mushroom adds to the design lol. the long grass pieces represent me realizing that i feel most comfortable growing out my body hair. its something that ive felt a lot of shame over growing up, but ive realized that i feel happier just being myself without shaving. moss is plant-based because i am vegan. i also really enjoy nature. it makes me feel grounded and full of life, so i thought an animal made from plants made sense. also moss is non binary like me, and i feel that a creature made of plants really embodies that well haha. i chose the catchphrase seedling because i tend to think of life as a time for all of us to grow, and i also thought it was cute

I initially wasn't planning on entering, but I don't know when the next event will be, so might as well enter (excuse the water color spots outside the villager please)!

Lqodh7h.jpg

Villager Name: Tazan
Villager Species: Tasmanian Devil
Villager Personality: Jock
Villager Catchphrase: "Hiya!"

Tazan is a jock villager who gets misunderstood a lot, just like I'm misunderstood a lot in real life. He's the friendliest tasmanian devil around, but because he has Aspergers like me sometimes people misunderstand his intentions. He can be seen wearing a martial arts uniform with a black belt in the drawing, which is indicative of my rank in martial arts, and is something I'm very passionate about. In spite of this, however, he can also be seen holding out his paws in the drawing. Just like me, all he wants to do is be friendly to others and give people hugs. Truly one of a kind. :giggle:

Untitled39_20220621165824.png

Villager name: Sunshine
Villager species: Wolf
Villager personality: Peppy
Villager catchphrase: Survive with style!
Favorite songs: Bubblegum KK, KK Faire

You may have noticed my villager has a permanent sidekick. That's my son. He's an adult now, with pretty severe disabilities that leave him needing 24 hour care, so we are together most of the time. The clouds represent the difficult and dark times we go through. The sunshine represents the good times. The tie connecting us is made of hearts, because he's my kid. I will always be there for him (well, until I croak at least) because I love him. The wolf to me represents pack and family, who are there for each other.

While life can be tough, I have discovered that focusing on the silver linings can help us weather the hard times, so I tend toward the peppy, sunny, fun side of things.

finished mine and I'm particularly pleased with the result! if it's okay, I decided to turn my fursona into a villager for this one since he represents me very well :blush:
celebrating-diversity-villager-forum-version.png

Villager Name: Sterling
Villager Species: Fox
Villager Personality: Smug
Villager Catchphrase: shine on
Picture quote: "Everyone is a black sheep if you look closely enough."
How this villager represents me: In this drawing he represents a big part of my personality which I'm coming to embrace more recently. You can see above he's holding a trans-masculine flag, and yet he's wearing a sparkly dress, a matching necklace, and mascara. You know why? Because clothes are not indicative of gender identity. Sterling gives himself the freedom to dress however he wants and still know that his gender identity is very much valid.
I started to think of this recently because, often, when trans men (or trans-masc people) wear feminine clothes they're questioned, even interrogated, by society over it. People say rude things like "oh I thought you were a guy?" But as a trans-masc person I know that my clothes are in no way indicative of my gender. Wearing a puffy, sparkly dress doesn't make me any less of a "man." Clothes are clothes and people should always be able to wear what they love without judgment 💕

mothvillager.png

Villager Name: Silkie
Villager Species: Silk Moth
Villager Catchphrase: "Love you to death"

How this villager represents me: I've never been good at socializing and I don't think I'm super approachable, but I actually enjoy social interaction sometimes & I admire others and wish I had more friends....so I relate to the fuzzy silk moth for having both soft/inviting and hard/repelling qualities. Silkie is a Smug personality because she produces only the finest of silks, but she's also a fuzzy goofball who is super into crafts. Her favorite album is Gwar's Scumdogs of the Universe.

Villager Name:Mei
Villager Species: Rabbit
Villager Personality: sisterly
Villager Catchphrase: “be yourself”

This villager is a sisterly joy to everyone, who helps anyone who asks for it, and sometimes without being asked. Their default clothing is a trans pride flag to show their inclusiveness and they just want to be happy on a island and spread joy

DE03D600-84FB-4E49-BD06-6FB6E6CC14F8.jpeg

SirQuack_Fish.png

Villager Name: Dory
Villager Species: Fish
Villager Personality: Lazy
Villager Catchphrase: Bloop

How this villager represents me: I decided to stick with the aquatic theme of my avatar, so I drew Dory the fish who is celebrating diversity! This villager represents me because no matter what happens, I just keep swimming! Never giving up. I may be lazy because all I do is swim all day, but I have fun doing it! If Octavian can walk around the island all day, so can I. I can do anything that I try my hardest with.

Valentina.jpg

Villager Name: Valentina
Villager Species: Cat (Norwegian Forest Breed)
Villager Birthday: May 21st
Villager Catchphrase: Meow Meow How’s it going my friend?

How this villager represents me: Being an Italian it made sense to give my villager a Italian name hence the name Valentina. I choose to have a cat, more specifically a Norwegian Forest cat as my villager species as they are my favourite animal. I have given her green eyes to match mine as it's something I really like about myself. She has the same bubbly personality as myself. I always want to hang out with those close to me and have a laugh. I always like to look after and help others so Valentina represents the same friendly attitude as mine.

42E773BE-F6CA-4654-97AB-8234F82C23BE.jpeg

Villager Name: Charlotte
Villager Species: Spider
Villager Personality: Sisterly
Villager Catchphrase: “Some Pig”
Home request: A cosy place to sew a web.

I think I can very much relate to tarantulas. Though they are usually represented incorrectly, they are actually very docile shy creatures. They are nocturnal and like to keep close to their burrows. They don’t want to attack you, but will if they feel threatened. I feel like I am very misunderstood as well. Though I am often told I am friendly, I have a hard time getting close to people. I feel like I often intimate others, but not on purpose. I am very shy, and I just struggle a lot with reaching out to others.
I also like to stay close to home and don't wonder out too much. I just feel more comfort at home, just like the Tarantulas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back