• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Bad trading experiences

Pikachitu

⊱♥♡ Mayor of Sugar ♡&#9829
Bells
Cake
Hello, this is basically a rant post (just a warning). I have been trying to sell some villagers recently using a second copy. I usually put them up in auctions and put in the time and tell people that are bidding to be on time.... I had some good experiences in the past when I was cycling but for some reason, the last few days, I cannot get people to be ready to trade when the time is up... I rarely even get a reply... And when I do, they either tell me to wait longer or asking for information which I already wrote in the original trading post, it's as if people don't read before they bid. I try to be on time the best I can, and when I see people online and pm them just to get ignored, I feel like I'm the only one trying to be considerate to the person I'm trying to trade with which is frustrating. I'm not very clear on feed backs so I don't dare to leave anyone bad feedback in fear of receiving an unfair feedback back.... and sometimes they haven't even go over to my town yet (even though they made me wait for hours)... Now that that is off my chest... Tell me about any of your bad experiences and how you deal with them :D

People have things to do in real life, so it is not unreasonable for someone to say he/she can't trade at a specific time. Granted, if you make it explicitly clear that the person should be available when an auction ends, that person should make an effort to be available to trade then. However, depending on how long the auction takes, someone might not be able to plan his/her availability that far ahead. Generally, if you want sell something quickly, an auction is not the best way to go. Sometimes you need to be willing to sell something for less than the maximum possible for the convenience of selling quickly.

You shouldn't leave negative feedback unless you are scammed or someone misbehaves in your town or does something malicious to you. Trades falling through because of inability for the two people to find a common time is just something that happens every now and then, and it is usually best to just move on and find someone else to trade with. I suppose you could leave neutral feedback if it is really an issue for you, but that person has the right to do the same to you since that person might believe you were not reasonably accommodating to his/her schedule.

Trades taking a long time to complete or not getting done can be very annoying, but I wouldn't call it a "bad trading experience" just because it takes longer than I want or because it doesn't even happen. I do a lot of trading and sometimes it is my fault that trades take a while to get done, so I am an understanding person when other people cannot trade or answer my PMs right away. I'm not trying to berate you here, but hopefully you understand that it is not a good idea to rush to judgment about the other person because you don't know what is happening on the other end.

Thing like this happen to me all the time, and it sucks cause its usually on days where I have several trades to do (usually weekends because that's when people are most on) and then when the first person doesn't show up I wait for them for a bit and then the people that I had trades to do after get tired of waiting and quit/give up on waiting for me, and it starts a cycle of failure. It really isn't cool. This happened today and it wasn't a first time, I always set up my trades at work and the people assure they'll be able to do it between A-B times so I wait and wait, and then when I finally decide to go and try to get the other trades going while I wait THOSE people have gotten offline and everything too. It's pretty hard to keep your hopes up, even though I do have a lot of quick easy and smooth trades with people too, it just makes it hard to determine who to trust and who not to trust.

Now I've got an open space in my town, I turned down another offer to get a villager in, and now I am hoping the person still comes on tonight or tomorrow morning so I can get my villager.

Red Cat, I have always made my prices very reasonable for a quick trade. I always states the exact time with time zone included so it should be very clear, if they are busy at that time, they should have said something. However sometimes they would be online but would not be replying to any of my messages at all before logging off. Auction is better for me as I can put up a specific time when it ends while when I'm selling, I have to sit there and see if there is any reply so I don't like selling that much.
As I said, I'm not very clear on feedbacks and what it is for, so I don't leave negative feedbacks, though I generally feel that it is incompetent to let me know who is more responsible when they agreed to meet up at certain time. I know about schedule issues but since I already states the time and specifically tell people to be on time, I don't see how they can blame schedule issues without letting me know when they place the bid.
Regarding "bad trade experiences", your opinion might be totally different from mine. When I trade with someone I specifically set out the time for that person alone. So when I have to deal with people who aren't very considerate towards others who are waiting, I feel very frustrated.

"I do a lot of trading and sometimes it is my fault that trades take a while to get done, so I am an understanding person when other people cannot trade or answer my PMs right away."

I believe what you are talking about is totally different from what I'm trying to say. I'm not asking for a reply right away, I'm asking for a reply period. Sometimes people straight up agree to a certain time but would never show up or reply to my pm hours and hours later. If someone takes 4 hours (not exaggerating) to complete other trades before they can trade with me, then it's might be a good idea to let me know. I hate tracking people down when I made it clear to be on time, if they don't like it, they shouldn't bid in the first place. Also, I feel scamming isn't the only thing that can make a trade experience "bad". Rush judgement or not, I think it's reasonable for me to be frustrated if someone just drop a bid and disappear on me, not if I should or shouldn't.

- - - Post Merge - - -

KaydeeKrunk, I feel ya. I usually wait for people for hours and hours so it's a little annoying when people can't wait at least 30 minutes. That being said....I also had a good trade today where the person was super quick and responsive. If only there is a favorite button ^_^

Last edited:
KaydeeKrunk, I feel ya. I usually wait for people for hours and hours so it's a little annoying when people can't wait at least 30 minutes. That being said....I also had a good trade today where the person was super quick and responsive. If only there is a favorite button ^_^
SAME. It's really a win some lose some, and I know I am guilty of being late but I apologize and always try to fix it later, most people wont even respond afterwards if I keep messaging them about it. I tried waiting forever but usually I make my arrangements during my work day and when I get home I keep myself up when I should be sleeping to do the trades and wait for the people to come on, today I only for 4 hours sleep because of this...

You have to understand people are busy, things come up and they can't always trade... I understand it can be annoying, it happens all the time... Also time zones annoy me so much sometimes I just want to scream, the time I wake up and I'm ready to trade where the other person is, it is 1am and they are sleep. Seriously... why!?-.- sometimes I wished everyone had the same time zone (tho that is impossible but that would be nice!)

I remember this irresponsible girl from this site who asked me about an expensive furniture set, and AFTER I already ordered her the set she disappeared until about two days later I saw her online and contacted her and it seemed like she actually forgot about the whole thing and I told her if she wants to buy the ordered set and she responded with "no lol thnx". I learned from that to never make an order until I make sure they're actually going to buy, wtf...

I remember this irresponsible girl from this site who asked me about an expensive furniture set, and AFTER I already ordered her the set she disappeared until about two days later I saw her online and contacted her and it seemed like she actually forgot about the whole thing and I told her if she wants to buy the ordered set and she responded with "no lol thnx". I learned from that to never make an order until I make sure they're actually going to buy, wtf...

Woa I see how that would be super frustrating... I remember sometimes shops require a small payment first before they get the items ready but then that might drive customers away too so I wonder how people do it :eek:

I, fortunately, haven't really had any bad experiences.
but once, it was a little frustrating because I ordered several items for someone. when I went to give them the items... they said they already got them from someone else. and they arranged getting them from me first. wish they'd told me before I dragged 'em with me to their town. it was more than 10 items, which made it slightly more annoying... but oh well. I don't like, hold a grudge or anything like that.

at least I got the fortune cookie pipe for free...

Last edited:
I feel your pain. I realize that real life is more important, but sometimes I'll notice that they're doing trades with other people. I always let the person know if I'll be around to trade. Sometimes, something comes up and I have to leave my house. I like to make sure that I tell them so they're not wondering where I am.

I was trying to buy bush starts and the person just flat out ignored me for about an hour. I noticed they were doing a lot of other trades so obviously they were busy, but it's a bit annoying when they just post a thread wanting to sell items, then they do other things and completely ignore their own topic. I ended up buying them from someone else.

I've had mostly good trades on this board, and most of the people are very pleasant to trade with. I hope today goes better for you.

My pet peeve is when people post to buy/sell but they're not available at that moment *and* they don't tell you so. I usually have very small windows of time where I'm available to trade, and if that doesn't work it takes a lot of juggling irl to work out a time that's convenient for someone else... Whereas if someone was upfront and said the only time they're available was between 3 and five am my time I'd just turn them down at the beginning and save everybody the trouble. I'd be lying if I said it didn't irk me a bit.

Back