• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

Ask The Staff: Non site-related questions!

It baffles me that people need an explanation, but I'm happy to lecture educate on this subject anytime.

It's simple.

Websites cost money and time to host. Your typical static pages site doesn't take much, but a server with enough resources to run a highly demanding dynamic forum such as TBT can easily climb into the hundreds.

I also believe people deserve to be compensated for their efforts too regarding of the form. It takes a lot of time, effort, and costs... whether you're writing and editing content on a blog, producing videos on YouTube, or even running a forum.

So I ask, if ads are placed in reasonable locations in a reasonable quantity (so the page isn't COVERED in them, I don't support that either) and the website is providing a service you consider valuable, is the inconvenience to you really so bad that you insist of blocking them still? Will you really be that inconvenienced by say, a 90 pixel tall leaderboard above your content? Probably not. It's a great way to support people without putting front any of your own actual money. There's zero cost to you, yet you can still support costs and compensate creators.

This isn't about TBT at all either. I recommend that everyone turn off adblock by default on all websites, and manually block websites with bad practices. Because don't get me wrong, there are plenty of sites out there with very unreasonable ad placements, which is usually the reason that drives people to block ads in the first place. But many sites are not like that, and it's unfair to punish everyone.

Disclaimer: I do operate a couple websites with Google Adsense on them that I generate profit from. If you think that makes me biased, that's okay, but I think it makes me more qualified to speak on the subject since I know what it's like to have your ads blocked.

I used to have my own website and can vouch to how much time and effort goes into keeping it up and running, and to the costs associated with it. I have also, been a Mod on various sites in the past as well. Being a mod takes a lot of time and effort too. So imagine when web owners and mods are doing all this and still working whether PT or FT....it is a lot people. And most of the time website owners and the mods are not given enough praise or respect.

- - - Post Merge - - -

When will you change the thread title to "Ask Flop?"?

I was think he should be an honorary mod.

Once in a while when something important around the forum happens such as during Bell Tree Directs or Events. There will always be an announcement when the shop is restocked, we never randomly restock without letting everyone know :)

Where on the forum is the announcement made?

Thank you!

Where on the forum is the announcement made?

Thank you!

In the HQ, but we tend to make a forum announcement for them as well linking to the thread. So you will have a popup on the top of the page when there is an announcement. That way everyone on the site will be able to know right as they log on.

What is your least favorite video game and why?

Video game that I own? First thought that came to my head...

Steel-Diver_N3DS_US_ESRB.jpg

**** that game.

Can't believe I paid $40 for that on launch day, what a scam.

Video game that I own? First thought that came to my head...

Steel-Diver_N3DS_US_ESRB.jpg

**** that game.

Can't believe I paid $40 for that on launch day, what a scam.
That was the biggest disappointment in my life.
I found it in the bargain bin for a dollar 3 days after my purchase too.

That was the biggest disappointment in my life.
I found it in the bargain bin for a dollar 3 days after my purchase too.

Yeah, basically my experience right there...

Last I checked Best Buy was still trying to get rid of them for $1.99 or something.

I paid $40.

Yeah, basically my experience right there...

Last I checked Best Buy was still trying to get rid of them for $1.99 or something.

I paid $40.

Nintendo sent me a gift on my 3DS a few days ago. I was curious so I opened it...

It was this game.

I couldn't delete it fast enough.

Thanks Nintendo, Thanks

@ Zr388: Why is Lubbock so BLOODY flat?

Lubbock is a historical town at the North-West side of Texas, known for it's tumbleweed sanctuaries, and lush agriculture. Upon your dive into town, you will have noticed the wild herd of windmills, being run by the wind. We are very proud of many things here, including our blue laws, prohibition, college life, and barely-minimum-wage.

I hate this place.

Back