• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

Ask AC:NL Questions here! (Please read before posting here or making a new thread!)

I don't get this. I am trying to breed blue roses. This is what I did:
red + yellow = orange
white + white = purple
orange + purple = hybrid red (or what they're called)

So I'm currently breeding two hybrid red roses. Which should only make more hybrid red OR blue ones, right?
Well I kinda ended up with a purple rose? UGH this is confusing.

I don't get this. I am trying to breed blue roses. This is what I did:
red + yellow = orange
white + white = purple
orange + purple = hybrid red (or what they're called)

So I'm currently breeding two hybrid red roses. Which should only make more hybrid red OR blue ones, right?
Well I kinda ended up with a purple rose? UGH this is confusing.

Hybrid red roses don't just make more hybrid reds or blues. Hybrids contain genes from their parents, so they can breed and act like the flowers they came from. For example, the hybrid red contains genes that make it act like either a red, orange (red x yellow) and purple (white x white).

In this case, when the new purple rose was created, it came from a purple gene from one hybrid red and a purple gene from the other hybrid red. Thus, it acted like a purple rose x a purple rose. You can actually also get more black and orange roses as well. You can technically use the hybrid offspring like the hybrid reds, but I wouldn't really recommend it, since it just makes it more likely you'll get the regular hybrids. Just stick to using hybrid reds you get.

It's actually a good sign that you got purple roses. It means that you definitely have hybrid reds instead of regular reds that a villager placed or something. When I bred for blue roses (it took months to get two), I got tons and tons of extra black or orange roses. You're not doing anything wrong.

Last edited:
It's actually a good sign that you got purple roses. It means that you definitely have hybrid reds instead of regular reds that a villager placed or something. When I bred for blue roses (it took months to get two), I got tons and tons of extra black or orange roses. You're not doing anything wrong.

God I hate this game.

So what do you think I should do now? since I'm currently breeding those two hybrids (and a red they spawned) in a fence.

God I hate this game.

So what do you think I should do now? since I'm currently breeding those two hybrids (and a red they spawned) in a fence.

Hey, that's not to say that it'll take you months to get blue roses! I was honestly doing it wrong for a good month or so as well, so just be patient, and you may get lucky. It's much harder to get purple roses from hybrid reds than blacks, so it seems like you already have luck on your side.

You're on the right path, so there's honestly not much to do besides wait. Keep breeding those hybrid reds, and add any new hybrid reds to the plot. If you're running out of room in the fence, you could try putting them on the beach, but I personally found that it's not as productive to use huge hybrid plots that span acres. Maybe ~12 hybrid reds at most (I'm just throwing out a number here, the point is that it's not too helpful to use too many, imo). Since only a few new flowers sprout each day, I found that watering a huge plot just makes it so that no new ones grow at all. Keep on watering only the hybrid reds and make sure that villagers don't plant any regular reds in there. I didn't have much luck with blue roses until I got the fertilizer, so that'll help if you have access to it.

Sorry I can't be of any more help. Once you have good hybrid reds, there's really not much to it besides patience.

Last edited:
Hey, that's not to say that it'll take you months to get blue roses! I was honestly doing it wrong for a good month or so as well, so just be patient, and you may get lucky. It's much harder to get purple roses from hybrid reds than blacks, so it seems like you already have luck on your side.

You're on the right path, so there's honestly not much to do besides wait. Keep breeding those hybrid reds, and add any new hybrid reds to the plot. If you're running out of room in the fence, you could try putting them on the beach, but I personally found that it's not as productive to use huge hybrid plots that span acres. Maybe ~12 hybrid reds at most (I'm just throwing out a number here, the point is that it's not too helpful to use too many, imo). Since only a few new flowers sprout each day, I found that watering a huge plot just makes it so that no new ones grow at all. Keep on watering only the hybrid reds and make sure that villagers don't plant any regular reds in there. I didn't have much luck with blue roses until I got the fertilizer, so that'll help if you have access to it.

Sorry I can't be of any more help. Once you have good hybrid reds, there's really not much to it besides patience.
Ah no that was just to it being complicated and stuff, hhahaha

Alright, I'll do that! Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get a couple of blue roses. :p No fertilizer for me yet, but I can probably find someone selling on here. Do you know if blue roses breed with each other and make more blue? I saw that they did somewhere, but just if you have any experience with it.

And thanks! You've been a lot of help, haha.

Last edited:

Alright, I'll do that! Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get a couple of blue roses. :p No fertilizer for me yet, but I can probably find someone selling on here. Do you know if blue roses breed with each other and make more blue? I saw that they did somewhere, but just if you have any experience with it.

Yes, they can be breed together to make more blue rose. Once you've got two, you're good.

Barring any accidents.

No worries! And what CooCooCachu said. To add to that, once you've got two of them, they start multiplying like weeds, haha. It took me months to get the first two, but now I have so many of them lying around. Fertilizer helps a ton in my experience as long as, like I said, you're only watering a few flowers in a small plot.

Unless you're stubborn (like I was), if you're really just not getting the blue roses, it might also be helpful to just get a pair from someone on the forums and go to town. Haha. But if you don't mind, I'd at least stick with it for a few weeks or so.

Yes, they can be breed together to make more blue rose. Once you've got two, you're good.

Barring any accidents.
Alright, thanks!

No worries! And what CooCooCachu said. To add to that, once you've got two of them, they start multiplying like weeds, haha. It took me months to get the first two, but now I have so many of them lying around. Fertilizer helps a ton in my experience as long as, like I said, you're only watering a few flowers in a small plot.

Unless you're stubborn (like I was), if you're really just not getting the blue roses, it might also be helpful to just get a pair from someone on the forums and go to town. Haha. But if you don't mind, I'd at least stick with it for a few weeks or so.
A well that's good at least.

Already have a blue rose that someone gave me as tips or something so I only need one more, whoopwhoop!!
And since we're already on the topic, I guess it's the same kinda ordeal to get purple pansies?

Alright, thanks!

A well that's good at least.

Already have a blue rose that someone gave me as tips or something so I only need one more, whoopwhoop!!
And since we're already on the topic, I guess it's the same kinda ordeal to get purple pansies?

Yep! I had a weird situation where it was easy to get hybrid red roses, but impossible to get blue roses, yet I had a super hard time getting hybrid red pansies, though they gave me purple pansies really quickly, so just keep at it.

I honestly kind of miss the days when I was trying to get my first pairs of hybrids. I have multiples of every hybrid drowning my town now, and I don't know what to do with them. Haha.

Last edited:
Yep! I had a weird situation where it was easy to get hybrid red roses, but impossible to get blue roses, yet I had a super hard time getting hybrid red pansies, though they gave me purple pansies really quickly, so just keep at it.

I honestly kind of miss the days when I was trying to get my first pairs of hybrids. I have multiples of every hybrid drowning my town now, and I don't know what to do with them. Haha.
Hm hope it goes rather quickly here. Don't mind getting some more purple roses though.

Can always mass grow them and sell them on this site. Don't they go for quite a lot?

Pick your favorite colors and types of flowers,and hide the others, decorating your town with a color scheme. c:

Hm hope it goes rather quickly here. Don't mind getting some more purple roses though.

Can always mass grow them and sell them on this site. Don't they go for quite a lot?

Good luck with the hybrids! And thanks for the suggestion! I'm considering doing that. Not entirely sure what the going-rate of hybrids are, but I can probably get some decent money from the blue roses at least.

Pick your favorite colors and types of flowers,and hide the others, decorating your town with a color scheme. c:

Thanks for suggesting that! Yeah, I definitely need to organize them. I also kind of meant that it's pretty boring growing flowers now. Breeding for hybrids has always been one of my favorite things about AC, and it's exciting/frustrating when you're trying to get that first pair, but once you get all of them, it's just like, "Well... that was fun... now what?"

Yesss, this is fun and makes your town look unique. I have a Halloween-themed town, so my paths are lined with orange and purple flowers. Red, white, and black are used in gardens and for accents. Pink, blue, and yellow are not allowed and get sold off.

Yesss, this is fun and makes your town look unique. I have a Halloween-themed town, so my paths are lined with orange and purple flowers. Red, white, and black are used in gardens and for accents. Pink, blue, and yellow are not allowed and get sold off.

I'm thinking blue, purple, and white for my colors. c:

Is a player's house the same size as the cafe?

I want to place a temporary character in the planned cafe spot to keep the placement open / test if I can navigate bridges around it, and I want it to be accurate.

Is a player's house the same size as the cafe?

I want to place a temporary character in the planned cafe spot to keep the placement open / test if I can navigate bridges around it, and I want it to be accurate.

Your house is 5x3. The no build zone is one space on all sides, except the front where it is two spaces. So essentially 7x6.

The cafe is 5x4. The same no build zone applies, except on space in the front, due to the decorations in the front of the cafe already using a space. So, 7x6.

They should be the same size, yes. I did the same thing you plan on doing. c:

When you report villagers' clothing to Isabelle (under problematic citizens), what happens?
1) Will the clothing go back to default?
2) Will the friendship level with the villager be affected?

Last edited:
Two, as each PWP has it's own zone and they cannot overlap. As for the river, it depends on the direction. One space, if the river is to the side or behind usually. More if the river is in front--this is usually because of doorways and whatnot.

Thank you!

When you report villagers' clothing to Isabelle (under problematic citizens), what happens?
1) Will the clothing go back to default?
2) Will the friendship level with the villager be affected?

1. No, it will go to a basic white shirt with a colored neckline and hems. I believe it is one of the three gym tees.
2. Nope. They'll act like nothing's changed.

Last edited:
Back